CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
ccured
sporkgod50
i29gman
The Yancey
Lalli25
F4rpoole
Thenardier
Spurticus
The #AskEmmert Q& (626)
Stadium Ratings-Site (556)
Peach Bowl name retu (320)
Construction of Worl (320)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (313)
Save Electricity By (284)
HELP calculating acr (237)
NBA Wants to Up Age (221)
How Experienced In P (168)
Salut Salon "We (89)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Sweet Corn!!!
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Kelcy and Vic questioned
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez

Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
the_ultimatethrill
Walk On

CockyCash: 500
the_ultimatethrill is learning to peckthe_ultimatethrill is learning to peck
Default Our Problem is the Offense

For the life of me I cannot understand why Steve stops this offense. We all know the defense is struggling right now and instead of him doing what he can to truly help them out he just trashes them to the media. My point is I have not seen one defense that has the ability to keep our offense from scoring. Every time we get 28 points the play calling goes away. There is no reason at all why this offense should not be putting up 40+ points a game. I hate how Spurrier seems oblivious to the fact that as the offense scores the defense starts playing but as the offense sputters the defense does too. Football is a game of momentum and emotions and right now this team needs the offense to carry the load.

It is time for Steve to acknowledge the fact that until the defense gets it together the best defense for us is for the offense to score.
the_ultimatethrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our Problem is the Offense

I think we would of kept airing it out some and especially the play action was open. But DT was having trouble holding onto the ball bc of the rain.

Broyles and UCF didn't have trouble airing it out though.

Anyway. Our O isn't the issue right now. The D is. We give up huge plays and can't get off the field. Confusion in the secondary and very bad Spur and LB play
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
kabercr2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

The offense is not the problem. If it wasnt for them we would have lost the last two games.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Some one please cut this walk on, he is lost and needs his parents to meet him at the Rocket! I guess the play calling went away right before Davis fumbled the ball on the UCF 5 yard line...Davis scores a TD to make it 28-10, we give up a big play to make it 28-18, the offense stalls mostly due to an illegal formation that costs us a 1st down, they get the ball and the defense picks it off and gives the team the ball at our 19 with 6:48 to play, we drive the length of the field and fumble it back to them with 3:18 to play and you are blaming SOS??????
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

I am sorry, but this is simply not true. It is your perception, but it is not a reality.

We did an entire thread on this board last week about Vandy and how it was EXECUTION and not play calling that changed the momentum in that game.

There was NOTHING different about the play calling after we got to 28 against Vandy. NOTHING!!! We didn't go conservative until the appropriate time which was with about 3 minutes left in the game.

What happened was penalties, poor execution of plays, and special teams turnovers.

You can go back and find that thread and all of the possessions of the second half were spelled out and what happened. It wasn't play calling.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 918
treyno2722 is learning to pecktreyno2722 is learning to peck

This guy has had 5 posts since 2005, do you actually believe him?
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
TailgatingD
Walk On

Male

TailgatingD has hatched from the shell

The only real issues I saw on offense was the WRs dropping passes; otherwise, we would've scored 40.
TailgatingD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I swear man, after reading cockytalk for the past two days, you would have thought we lost this weekend. I know it wasn't pretty. But WE WON THE GAME FOLKS!!!!!!

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
the_ultimatethrill
Walk On

Just because I don't post does not mean i'm not on cockytalk every day faithfully. The only thing I'm saying is that as an offense we need to go in every game with the mentality that we got to score. Tell me why it took us to the second half to realize we have one of the best rb in the country.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Our offense is gucci, imo. The defense is where our troubles lie.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
I guess the play calling went away right before Davis fumbled the ball on the UCF 5 yard line...Davis scores a TD to make it 28-10, we give up a big play to make it 28-18, the offense stalls mostly due to an illegal formation that costs us a 1st down, they get the ball and the defense picks it off and gives the team the ball at our 19 with 6:48 to play, we drive the length of the field and fumble it back to them with 3:18 to play and you are blaming SOS??????
Well in that case...it is the offense...tell 'em to quit fumbling and doing stupid formations that get flagged.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

obviously its a dumb thread, but as much as the defense has been really bad at times, the offense has had one great half in every game and not much to speak of in the other half.

7 pts 2nd half vs unc
6 pts 2nd half vs uga
7 pts 2nd half vs vandy
0 pts 1st half vs ucf
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

We racked up a lot of yards both rushing and passing. Turnovers and drops, and untimely bad plays were drive killers. Is our offense THE problem with this team? I'd say no. Does it have problems? Yes, execution is off at times. When the execution is good we are nearly unstoppable. The defense has more problems though. We need to get more stops. Not let players run so open.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I am far more disgusted with the fans than with the coaching, offense, defense, or special teams.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
BrutusJ
Two Deep

Male

BrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgatingD View Post
The only real issues I saw on offense was the WRs dropping passes; otherwise, we would've scored 40.
Guess you missed those FOUR turnovers and ZERO points in the first half.
BrutusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I am far more disgusted with the fans than with the coaching, offense, defense, or special teams.
Absolutely.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
BrutusJ
Two Deep

Male

BrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
The offense is not the problem. If it wasnt for them we would have lost the last two games.
Wrong. Our offense should have been scoring in the high 40's or 50's the last 2 games. Our offense should be good enough now to control a game. They are inconsistent at best. Defense is the only thing that keeps us in the W's.
BrutusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
the_ultimatethrill
Walk On

This was not started to be a knock on the offense or to take away the issues our defense is having but as a means to hi-light some tremendous inconsistencies. Spurrier always complains about our defense not getting off the field on third down or getting turn overs, however as Brutusj has so elegantly stated we had 4 turnovers and the offense scored on 0. We have had stretches i.e. whole halves where our offense is non-existent. And contrary to whatever everyone may thing if it had not been for Legree and Holloman we probably have 2 more L's because the offense stops scoring at 28 pts.

I just want to see this offense pin back its ears and score give the defense a chance to get going. You can't complain about the defense too much when they give you 4 turnovers and you don't score a single point. That right there will take some mojo from an already struggling group.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgatingD View Post
Nope, that was Dylan's worst game. He was due one I guess and no flaming him, but he was missing all over the place. At one point, he was 8 for 20. Overthrows and underthrows everywhere.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
cockpit commander
Walk On

Male

cockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimatethrill View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why Steve stops this offense. We all know the defense is struggling right now and instead of him doing what he can to truly help them out he just trashes them to the media. My point is I have not seen one defense that has the ability to keep our offense from scoring. Every time we get 28 points the play calling goes away. There is no reason at all why this offense should not be putting up 40+ points a game. I hate how Spurrier seems oblivious to the fact that as the offense scores the defense starts playing but as the offense sputters the defense does too. Football is a game of momentum and emotions and right now this team needs the offense to carry the load.

It is time for Steve to acknowledge the fact that until the defense gets it together the best defense for us is for the offense to score.
Our offense is good , we need to get across
To our defense that their job is to make the
Other team punt , so we can catch it on the
1 yard line !!!! Just make them punt lol. 99 problems
But the offense ain't one
cockpit commander is offline   Reply With Quote