CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
ZenUSC
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
cockybusiness2
LeeSC
GSC2013
Kentucky prediction (1802)
Just Booked my Hotel (1213)
Best position coach (640)
So What? (630)
The New Idea That'll (511)
Waldrop doubtful for (392)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (340)
So What? (219)
We Have A New KO Guy (215)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (200)
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Build a New Stadium
The New Idea That'll Fix
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
We Have A New KO Guy
4th & 1 Play
Kentucky prediction
Dylan Thompson looks brok
Just Booked my Hotel for
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit
Default Our fans amaze me

Sometimes I am just flabbergasted by our fans. They are always ready to jump off a cliff if we don't win a game in the manner that they feel we should. This is both a good and a bad thing.

We obviously did not play well Saturday. It made me think of our early days in the SEC when we would get a lead on one of the SEC Powerhouses. We would get that lead and then the superior team would come back in the 2nd half and beat us. We would get our hopes up, just like the UCF fans did Saturday and then we get our hearts broken. Be thankful that we won the game. We were the superior team on the field and everyone knew that. Just like when we took a 21-3 lead against Florida in the Holtz era. We got all excited and Florida came back and beat us. We are doing that to teams now.

It is good to have high expectations, but we are talking about 18 to 22 years kids. They don't always perform like we want them to.

It is bad for us to be so negative because we didn't wipe the floor with UCF. Come on. A 3 point victory puts a notch in the win column, just like a 20 point victory does.
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our fans amaze me

We just need to keep on winning. I don't care how we look, just keep on winning. I watched the game with some Debbie Downers, everybody was giving up on the whole season at the half.

I told them "Look, they our D is not playing bad, a bit of bend don't break UCF is only up by 10, wait for the second half". Second half Mike takes over & if it weren't for the turnovers, we would have won 28 to 10.

Just keep winning, our schedule lines up very nicely.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

While I agree with you to an extent, this team is still playing poorly and continuing to make the same mistakes.

I'm happy we won against a quality team in UCF.
But it is concerning when the defense continues to make the same mistakes week after week after week.

Did the fumbles hurt (just an odd day for those) yes.
Wilds had a freak fumble, Davis had a fumble and Connor had a freak fumble.
IF we score on those drives, we may be talking about a different game.

But we didn't.

Again, I'm not freaking out. But it is disheartening the team keeps making the same mistakes and doesn't seem to be growing or getting better. It feels like the development is stagnent or regressing on defense right now.

But hey, maybe next week it finally all clicks, we see the improvement and we blow Kentucky out 47-10 to get momentum in the 3-game road stretch.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
While I agree with you to an extent, this team is still playing poorly and continuing to make the same mistakes.

I'm happy we won against a quality team in UCF.
But it is concerning when the defense continues to make the same mistakes week after week after week.

Did the fumbles hurt (just an odd day for those) yes.
Wilds had a freak fumble, Davis had a fumble and Connor had a freak fumble.
IF we score on those drives, we may be talking about a different game.

But we didn't.

Again, I'm not freaking out. But it is disheartening the team keeps making the same mistakes and doesn't seem to be growing or getting better. It feels like the development is stagnent or regressing on defense right now.

But hey, maybe next week it finally all clicks, we see the improvement and we blow Kentucky out 47-10 to get momentum in the 3-game road stretch.
when we continue to give up 50+ yard touchdown plays every week and it looks like no adjustments are being made then I am going to worry
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post
We just need to keep on winning. I don't care how we look, just keep on winning. I watched the game with some Debbie Downers, everybody was giving up on the whole season at the half.

I told them "Look, they our D is not playing bad, a bit of bend don't break UCF is only up by 10, wait for the second half". Second half Mike takes over & if it weren't for the turnovers, we would have won 28 to 10.

Just keep winning, our schedule lines up very nicely.
Good advice – just keep winning. We will be just fine.

Thing is all week long last week we heard, “is SC on upset alert?” I must have heard that at least once a day last week. People everywhere were calling UCF a trap game. Even one of my Oklahoma State buddies here at work sent me a note last week with an article attached – about Carolina being on upset alert (how ironic seeing as to what happened to his Cowboys this past weekend!).

And even after the game – “UCF is a great team, they played a great game, they’ll probably go 10-2 losing only to Louisville? And Carolina sucked, we were horrible.” Yet WE BEAT that great team that played a great game that will probably go 10-2 and we beat them at THEIR place!”

I have to keep in mind that when our fans get down on our team it’s just because we want them to do so well. When I had season’s tickets in the 80s and early 90s, we were long-suffering fans that kept coming back week after week after loss after loss. Now our expectations are sky-high – and for good reason.

And it is my belief that we are a little more critical because “that school up north” is having a good year. When I lived in Cola, I think Carolina fans got just as excited when Clemmy lost as we did when we won! Just my observation.

Don’t worry – a few tweaks on defense and we’ll end up 11-1! Stay true. We are Carolina fans for a reason!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott View Post
Sometimes I am just flabbergasted by our fans. They are always ready to jump off a cliff if we don't win a game in the manner that they feel we should. This is both a good and a bad thing.

We obviously did not play well Saturday. It made me think of our early days in the SEC when we would get a lead on one of the SEC Powerhouses. We would get that lead and then the superior team would come back in the 2nd half and beat us. We would get our hopes up, just like the UCF fans did Saturday and then we get our hearts broken. Be thankful that we won the game. We were the superior team on the field and everyone knew that. Just like when we took a 21-3 lead against Florida in the Holtz era. We got all excited and Florida came back and beat us. We are doing that to teams now.

It is good to have high expectations, but we are talking about 18 to 22 years kids. They don't always perform like we want them to.

It is bad for us to be so negative because we didn't wipe the floor with UCF. Come on. A 3 point victory puts a notch in the win column, just like a 20 point victory does.
I agree 100%! We have obvious problems with our defense, but so does most every other team in college football. I think most of our problems can be fixed with more experience and better coaching. But what kills me about our fans is this whole recruiting topic. People running around screaming that we have fallen behind uga in recruiting and we can't keep up with them on the recruiting trail. I just looked at the national defense rankings and our poorly recruited, no talent defense is ranked 10 spots ahead of uga's highly recruited, 5* stacked defense. Watch the games people, we lost a very tight game to uga in Athens, so did lsu. It's not the end of the world.
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Welcome to every fan base that has ever existed on the face of the planet! You get no points for fingering the obviousness of something that has been blatantly and painfully clear about fans and the human condition like FOREVER.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Some of our fans have turned soft. I would bet none of them was around pre 2000. All you fargin iceholes can jump off a cliff.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Our "fans" only amaze you? They flat out disgust me.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
Good advice – just keep winning. We will be just fine.

Thing is all week long last week we heard, “is SC on upset alert?” I must have heard that at least once a day last week. People everywhere were calling UCF a trap game. Even one of my Oklahoma State buddies here at work sent me a note last week with an article attached – about Carolina being on upset alert (how ironic seeing as to what happened to his Cowboys this past weekend!).

And even after the game – “UCF is a great team, they played a great game, they’ll probably go 10-2 losing only to Louisville? And Carolina sucked, we were horrible.” Yet WE BEAT that great team that played a great game that will probably go 10-2 and we beat them at THEIR place!”

I have to keep in mind that when our fans get down on our team it’s just because we want them to do so well. When I had season’s tickets in the 80s and early 90s, we were long-suffering fans that kept coming back week after week after loss after loss. Now our expectations are sky-high – and for good reason.

And it is my belief that we are a little more critical because “that school up north” is having a good year. When I lived in Cola, I think Carolina fans got just as excited when Clemmy lost as we did when we won! Just my observation.

Don’t worry – a few tweaks on defense and we’ll end up 11-1! Stay true. We are Carolina fans for a reason!
EXACTLY! This is what I've been saying all along. We hear all week about trap game, this is the biggest game in the history of their program, great quarterback, going to be a tough game,etc. Then the EXACT moment we win, the goal line is moved and it becomes "we looked like shit" and everyone's pissed we didn't blow them out. This is unfair to the team and the coaches. We won a tough game that EVERYONE had circled as a possible upset and come away with a W and peope are pissed. Oh, you don't like that we won ugly? WTF? If you're looking for style points in wins, go pull for an ACC team or find an arena league team you like. Do we have issues? Of course, did you just see how that LSU defense that has all thos four and five star players get 40+ hung on them? Or some of you are buying the bullshit from Clempson, how did they look on the road against NC state which i guarantee would get beat by UCF? We had a good game on offense and minus the two long plays after we got up, had a good day on defense. I swear I think some of you are happier when you get to bitch and moan like a bunch of losers that be glad we won.
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Some of our fans have turned soft. I would bet none of them was around pre 2000. All you fargin iceholes can jump off a cliff.
I was watching in 1997...so yea, I've seen just how bad this program can be.
Nere missed a game for 0-21, never left early.

Trust me, I ain't soft.
I just recognize when we play like utter garbage on defense.
Two-time National Champs

Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
when we continue to give up 50+ yard touchdown plays every week and it looks like no adjustments are being made then I am going to worry
I agree with you.
Two-time National Champs

Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

We're no different than any other fan base. Vol fans up here in Knoxville are ready to gut CBJ for almost losing to South Alabama. Fans are fickle.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I'm not sure about this. Those of us that have been around LONG before 2000 are used to disappointment. We are used to getting our hopes up just to have Dondrial Pinkins fumble in the red zone or some such breakdown. We know what it feels like to have our hearts broken by the team we love. Sometimes it's easy for those feelings to come back when we see Carolina play games like they have recently. I am by no means giving up on anything, but I don't think anyone can argue the fact that we have not played a complete game yet, and that's disappointing. I still have high hopes for the season, and hope they will soon come out and play like the talented team we know them to be. We need 100% from EVERYBODY, and the fact it we are not getting that right now.
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky chick View Post
I'm not sure about this. Those of us that have been around LONG before 2000 are used to disappointment. We are used to getting our hopes up just to have Dondrial Pinkins fumble in the red zone or some such breakdown. We know what it feels like to have our hearts broken by the team we love. Sometimes it's easy for those feelings to come back when we see Carolina play games like they have recently. I am by no means giving up on anything, but I don't think anyone can argue the fact that we have not played a complete game yet, and that's disappointing. I still have high hopes for the season, and hope they will soon come out and play like the talented team we know them to be. We need 100% from EVERYBODY, and the fact it we are not getting that right now.
Long before 2000 - amen, brother!!! And you are 100% spot on about those feelings coming back pretty quickly at times.

Speaking of, I think delay of game penalties drive me the most crazy of any!!! When the time clock was winding down to 3 seconds, 2 seconds, and Thompson was sauntering back to the line of scrimmage, was anybody else screaming, "get to the line or call a timeout???" Ding! Penalty! Grrr!

No matter, I love Carolina – always have, always will!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

What's so disappointing is that this was off of a bye week and they said they worked on defensive and special teams issues and they looked even worse.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

A lot of them are not really our fans. They are imposters preying on the weak minded.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Team is playing piss poor, our defense is giving ZERO effort! But on a positive not, our Oline is probably the best it's been in 5+ years
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
Team is playing piss poor, our defense is giving ZERO effort! But on a positive not, our Oline is probably the best it's been in 5+ years
That is true.
And our offense has shown it can be explosive.
I'm much happier with the O this year...it is a shame our D decided to take a year off.
Two-time National Champs