CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
WeStillOwnUSC
jrussjr
TAFC 5 1981
b381l
Sir Cuss
ChickenButt
kick_ball
eightohhthree
Auburn looks beatabl (2957)
Three young corners (1241)
**official Vandy pre (1030)
King - South Carolin (915)
Watch ESPN3 regional (725)
Cardinal's Jonathan (717)
Haven't seen one unb (524)
No Vandy Predictions (456)
Hotel in Nashville? (339)
Places to watch Caro (276)
SEC East vs. SEC West
Three young corners progr
**official Vandy predicti
Auburn looks beatable
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Cardinal's Jonathan Dwyer
2016 - Jamie Skalski
Places to watch Carolina
King - South Carolina vs
Vandy Fans

Old 09-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default If we ran a true 4-3 for the rest of this season...

A friend of mine and I were talking about some of the issues many people have discovered. This is more of a question thread than a statement. I am not a coach, don't pretend to be. So can someone please answer these questions?

1. If we ran a 4-3, what personnel would we use?

My friend suggested this:

Lewis or Walton - MLB (6-0, 221 lb./6-0, 234 lb.)
Cooper or Roberts - LOLB 6-2, 213 lb./6-1, 225 lb.)
Moore or Bryant - ROLB (6-2, 205 lb./6-0 215 lb.)

The downside here would be experience, but if a guy is where he is supposed to be and can't bring a guy down then is there that much of a difference. Also, it doesn't seem people are where they are supposed to be in the current setup either.

2. What is the benefit of a 4-2-5 vs. a 4-3?

I have heard several things on here, mostly related to stopping the spread of the Tebow days. It also, theoretically, lets you get more talented guys who fit into a Safety slot moreso than a LB on the field per some. It was implemented at a time when we had more DB's/Safetys than we could fit on the field, I heard one person say. Other than that...what real benefit does it provide?

3. How hard is it to transition from one to another?

When I asked this earlier, I was told it is not really that difficult. With as many DB's and Safeties as we have on the team, how much beef would it add and how much of a difference could it make?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: If we ran a true 4-3 for the rest of this season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
A friend of mine and I were talking about some of the issues many people have discovered. This is more of a question thread than a statement. I am not a coach, don't pretend to be. So can someone please answer these questions?

1. If we ran a 4-3, what personnel would we use?

My friend suggested this:

Lewis or Walton - MLB (6-0, 221 lb./6-0, 234 lb.)
Cooper or Roberts - LOLB 6-2, 213 lb./6-1, 225 lb.)
Moore or Bryant - ROLB (6-2, 205 lb./6-0 215 lb.)

The downside here would be experience, but if a guy is where he is supposed to be and can't bring a guy down then is there that much of a difference. Also, it doesn't seem people are where they are supposed to be in the current setup either.

2. What is the benefit of a 4-2-5 vs. a 4-3?

I have heard several things on here, mostly related to stopping the spread of the Tebow days. It also, theoretically, lets you get more talented guys who fit into a Safety slot moreso than a LB on the field per some. It was implemented at a time when we had more DB's/Safetys than we could fit on the field, I heard one person say. Other than that...what real benefit does it provide?

3. How hard is it to transition from one to another?

When I asked this earlier, I was told it is not really that difficult. With as many DB's and Safeties as we have on the team, how much beef would it add and how much of a difference could it make?
In theory, the 4-2 is designed to stop more of a passing offense. I think Golightly is just too small and is overmatched to play the SPUR position.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

4-2-5 allows us to stay in base defense and personnel more in 3 WR sets.
cockinraleigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

4-3 to 4-2-5 is basically the same thing. The scheme is different and was designed to stop a spread offense. The problem with us running a 4-3 is the inexperience of the secondary and lack of size in the middle. Even though a lot of teams will run a 3-4 or 4-3 they will resort to a 4-2-5 for a spread team on a lot of plays. With a team that tends to line up and run we need to run a 4-3 with some big guys in the middle for gap control.

Another thing that I see is the assignments that are given to the D-line. There aren't a lot of stunts and when we shift it usually doesn't make sense. I also think that this "go up field " idea Adams has needs to be revised and looked at in a different light. Teams are figuring out that we tend too play soft and exposing that along with our inexperience. One thing that we need to do a little more of is the blitz.

The only thing that changes the 4-3 to 4-2-5 is the spur. With the play of our spur we are basically playing a 4-3. I think that Whammy needs to figure out a way to disguise some crazy stuff.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote