CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
So Disappointed With (1852)
Rank the QBs under S (1385)
Back like cooked cra (973)
Tennessee game (656)
Who start on the d l (616)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (461)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (345)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (165)
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rank the QBs under Spurri
7 on 7 flag football bloc
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re

Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Rusty2s
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 270
Rusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his claws
Default What idiot came up with the targeting rule??

What idiot came up with the targeting rule??
Rusty2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: idiWhat idiot came up with the targeting rule??

College and pros trying to save face because of all the lawsuits.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

I understand why people are upset, but lets get real here. When you played football growing up, and were learning the fundamentals, what you see on TV is NOT what you were taught. Its not even close a form fundamentally sound tackle. It gets you hits on youtube, and people go OHHHHHHHH which is why its popular.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
cockpit commander
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty2s View Post
What idiot came up with the targeting rule??
They messed up the game , protect qbs
Protect receivers , just look at all the points
Being scored , it's much tougher to catch a pass
When you may get drilled !! People don't realize
How much this is gonna change the game
In a few years all conferences will be the same
cockpit commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I understand why people are upset, but lets get real here. When you played football growing up, and were learning the fundamentals, what you see on TV is NOT what you were taught. Its not even close a form fundamentally sound tackle. It gets you hits on youtube, and people go OHHHHHHHH which is why its popular.
Agreed.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

How many targeting penalties would have been called on Dick Butkis?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

the targeting rule will be modified...I hope. when they do the review and find that it was NOT a targeting foul, then they should take away the corresponding fifteen yard penalty. that only makes sense. the ncaa needs to make a ruling on this asap.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
roosterdave
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1106
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

The concept is not a bad one. The execution is. This rule is 100% legitimate if they simply reverse the ejection AND the penalty.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Rusty2s
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 270
Rusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his clawsRusty2s is sharpening his claws

That's the problem I have with the rule.
Rusty2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly

Im all for players safety, but if you can review and overturn throwing a player out for targeting then you should take the penalty away. Plain and simple. This off-season many people will be pushing this as it will be a topic for discussion everywhere in college football.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Yeah the rule itself is a good thing. However, the practice of implementing it is what everyone hates. Like Saturday....how can you review the film, decide there was no targeting, yet STILL give them a 15 yard penalty. I just don't see how you can call a penalty, when you have looked at the video and determined that no penalty occured.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
TailgatingD
Walk On

Male

TailgatingD has hatched from the shell

I can understand the leading with the head or hitting in the head, but if a receiver is going across the middle, you should be able to light him up. Its football. As for the rule reviewing the expulsion but not the flag -that's crap.
TailgatingD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
good post

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Whatever I was taught as a DB to kill the man with the ball and break up the play by any means necessary so he doesn't catch it. Targeting penalty is bullshit and so is football if these rules keep coming.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
Whatever I was taught as a DB to kill the man with the ball and break up the play by any means necessary so he doesn't catch it. Targeting penalty is bullshit and so is football if these rules keep coming.
Then you were taught incorrectly. Not your fault...just didn't have a coach that cared for your safety

Old 10-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Nuke LaLoosh
UFC ON THE SIDELINE

Male

Nuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spurs
Default Re: What idiot came up with the targeting rule??

It was in a late amendment to the Dodd Frank financial reform legislation.
Nuke LaLoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Then you were taught incorrectly. Not your fault...just didn't have a coach that cared for your safety
For someone who was never taught what is the right way vs the wrong way? I figure hitting a we your goal is to make it an incomplete pass or a fumble so you hit as hard as possible. With what seems to be the point of contention I guess.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
For someone who was never taught what is the right way vs the wrong way? I figure hitting a we your goal is to make it an incomplete pass or a fumble so you hit as hard as possible. With what seems to be the point of contention I guess.
You never lead with your head, especially with the crown down. Sure, hit as hard as you want with the shoulder, as Williams did. His was a good hit

Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
The force of the blow matters, but is secondary to the accuracy and technique involved.

For example, Clowney's hit on Smith during the bowl game last year, while incredibly forceful, was only successful because of techniques and accuracy. If he had flown in out of control and only looking to lay the wood, like we see so often lately, then there is the possibility that there is no fumble and Smith is able to spin off of the hit (all hypothetical, of course). This didn't happen specifically because JD got low, put his facemask in the numbers, and wrapped up under the thighs.

That said, the current method of officiating the targeting rule is asinine in my opinion.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
The problem is really on both sides of the ball. People's reaction now is to lower their head. If you look at footage back in the day ... nobody lowered their head. You get a harder hit going in with your shoulder than you do your head, so leading with the head is just dumb.

Look at Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, OJ Simpson, The Bus or any of the other great backs that ran people over. They ALWAYS led with the shoulder and ran over the defender. The head lowering got started because people weren't strong enough to run somebody over, so they try to get the pain of the helmet hit to plow through the tackle.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote