CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
ZenUSC
5lbYardcock
The Yancey
18IsTheMan
GH
conwaycock2
StormOfTalons
b381l
ecugrad
Carolina opens -15.5 (2693)
What changes can and (2270)
Gamecock football Lo (2011)
Shaw: Check Out This (1858)
Mike Davis "dou (1650)
Gamecocks claimed an (1372)
Tanner McEvoy should (1312)
Gamecocks D staff re (1032)
who thinks we need a (960)
The Demise of the 3- (797)
Why didn't Wes Green play
Do we have any shot again
Who else wants to see Con
What changes can and will
What's your take on our a
Recruiting Question
Carolina opens -15.5
Gamecocks D staff reveal
SOS Teleconference
Gamecocks in the Majors/M

Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default London Jaguars?

Sounds more and more like the Jags will be moved to London sooner than later.

THE LONDON JAGUARS?

This year sees Wembley host two regular season games for the first time. The San Francisco 49ers and the Jacksonville Jaguars are in town on October 27, which also marks the beginning of a four-year agreement with the Jaguars to host a home game at Wembley up to 2016. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and other league officials have hinted at expanding outside the United States and see the International Series as a way of gauging interest in a London-based NFL franchise. At a presentation on the feasibility during a meeting of NFL owners in October 2012, ‘sources’ who attended revealed that the NFL are actively working to establish a team in London. “It didn’t sound like an ‘if’, we took it as a ‘when’”, said one and, “I left that meeting thinking this isn’t 20 years away, this is happening in five to 10 years,” said the other. At present, the NFL are more likely to relocate a team as opposed to adding to their current 32 teams and the Jacksonville Jaguars are the most likely to move to Britain but not before a few hurdles are jumped, including major US markets, like Los Angeles, reappearing on the NFL map with a franchise.

A NEW MONARCHY?

The Jags would be welcome. London has had its own professional gridiron franchise before, the London Monarchs of the old World League of American Football, of the early to mid 1990s. In the first season they were part of a 10-team league made up of franchises from the US, Canada and Europe and the Monarchs won the inaugural World Bowl 21-0 over the Barcelona Dragons in front of 61,108 fans at the old Wembley Stadium. Their field goal kicker that day, and the League’s leading points scorer that season, Phil Alexander, picked up his World Bowl winners’ ring and for many years now has been the chief executive at Crystal Palace. The World League evolved into the Europa League and the Monarchs moved from Wembley to White Hart Lane and then to Stamford Bridge as performances waned and crowds dwindled. Fans will recall William ‘The Refrigerator’ Perry, a Super Bowl winner with the Chicago Bears, rumbling around as a Monarch.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/othe...l-8842081.html
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: London Jaguars?

Makes sense too since Jaguar is an English auto company.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
TS-45 Gamecock
Earning a Scholly

Male

CockyCash: 200
TS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPit

I guess I don't get the idea of putting a franchise in London when they have areas close to home.

LA
Mexico City (Major Crime area but so is Detroit)
Canada (I know the CFL but this is the NFL)

TS-45 Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-45 Gamecock View Post
I guess I don't get the idea of putting a franchise in London when they have areas close to home.

LA
Mexico City (Major Crime area but so is Detroit)
Canada (I know the CFL but this is the NFL)
These will get a look, but the owner of the Jags owns Fulham Football Club in London. And the NFL is wanting to expand internationally. I think Mexico City will be the next move outside the US.

BTW, these NFL games at Wembley are selling out. Close to 90,000.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Horrible idea, primarily due to logistics.

If the NFL forces this, then it will ultimately fail.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

11 hour flight from San Diego to London would go over SO well
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
TS-45 Gamecock
Earning a Scholly

Male

TS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
11 hour flight from San Diego to London would go over SO well
Yep, like a turd in a punch bowl.

They already bitch about teams from the West coast coming east an playing a 1:00PM game.

TS-45 Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

one logistical issue that was mentioned is that teams bring in players every Tuesday to work out and possibly be addedto practice squad orto active roster. With the distance and time difference this would be very difficult when trying to bring in players from the west coast.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

The London Silly Nannys

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Makes sense too since Jaguar is an English auto company.
Used to be. Jaguar was bought by Ford in 1989. In 2008 Ford sold it to Tata. Reverse colonialism, lol.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

People already have to take out a second mortgage to afford going to NFL games, so can you imagine how much ticket prices will go up so the teams could cover the extreme extra travel cost? And if this happens, it definitely won't be the last international team, so the problem would get worse. Of course I don't know how likely it would be to have another team over sea, so an international team that is essentially "domestic" (i.e. in Canada or Mexico) might not cause an exorbitant increase in price.

How many players would want to go play for a team not in the U.S.? Family is a big deal for most of them, so the thought of being in another country regularly probably wouldn't be the most ideal situation.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Just keep playing one game in London.
The Jags signed up for that for the next 4 years or so.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I think it's a bad idea. As above poster mentioned, just play a few games there per year. I get the NFL is as money hungry as they come but I guarantee you the players will hate the traveling and it would end up being more hassle than it is worth.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I think the long range plan is to have 2 teams in England, 1 in Ireland/Scotland, 1 in Germany, and to find enough other sites to have an international division. That way there would not be much travel until you hit the playoffs.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

It's not sex-in-Hati type bad idea, but it's a bad idea all the same.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I think the long range plan is to have 2 teams in England, 1 in Ireland/Scotland, 1 in Germany, and to find enough other sites to have an international division. That way there would not be much travel until you hit the playoffs.
This is probably the best bet, but I don't know if this could work. Is football that big in the other countries? The NFL could buyout the CFL and expand that way first. I think this is going the path of baseball, having too many teams will lead to attition of the talent level. 32 is even too much, you have some teams that can't win a game each year. Just imagine what would happen with the expansion.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Scotland would be fantastic, for me of course.

However, I think Ireland would have a better chance of making a team successful. On the other hand, football(soccer) is way down here. Still popular of course, but the EPL has decimated the SPL.

Personally, I think expansion internationally is great and I expect the Jags to be in London shortly after the 2016 or 17 season. After their contract is up to play a game a year at Wembley, they will have a good following and fan base over here. If Ace is still a Jag next year, I'll make my way down to London and see him play.

As far as players moving, they will go where the money is. It hasn't affected many American basketball players.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
jared
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Stupid idea. Terrible.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I think it's a bad idea. As above poster mentioned, just play a few games there per year. I get the NFL is as money hungry as they come but I guarantee you the players will hate the traveling and it would end up being more hassle than it is worth.
From what I can tell the players absolutely love coming here to play.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Strange...but it this happens they might as well just integrate the CFL. Do they even play football in Britain? High school level and college? Could this be a step towards Olympic teams? I'm not a fan..but whatever
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote