CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
GregoryHouse
Dietz
Gamecocks1137
Carolina-Beez
Badazcock
Grit_And_Steel
roosterdude21
Order 66
zcoop
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8798)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1690)
Simple "yes&quo (1369)
Phil Steele just pre (1051)
The Comeback & T (790)
Garcia: Change the R (631)
TeMarcus Blanton (623)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (280)
Wallpaper & Back (250)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Bama @ Tennessee
Anybody just have that &q
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Turtle Beach
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Where in Seattle
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Name a Gamecock

Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Tiny Water Moccasin

Ran up on this little badass just after Lunch today. Haven't seen as many
snakes this year as I usaually do along that circle I drive around during
the late spring / summer. Haven't even been out there in about a month
and since it's about time for snakes to become less active, I wasn't really
expecting to see anything today.....Just killin' time really. But I saw
this little sucker crawling out of the tall grass between the road and a
small "swampy looking pond" and I got out to see what kind of snake it
was. .... This little terror got defensive and started striking before I got
out of the truck good. He was less than 8" long but he can still make a
good day go bad in a heartbeat. I didn't have my digital camera that I carry for work
today, so I had to snap these with the cell phone. After I took the pics,
he calmed down, and I was able to get him on the hook I carry in the truck
and get him out of the road and back into the grass on the other side of
the road before I drove off. .... Nice late season find !!

Last edited by Spurticus; 10-02-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Re: Tiny Water Moccasin

You are right about these little ones can make you have a bad day. I almost picked one up last year behind my house while I was clearing some leaves out of the creek that runs through my property. I thought it was a big night crawler for a minute, but then it went into a coiled position and I had to pull my hand back. Dang things can hurt you!

I had a long black snake crawl across my front steps a couple of months ago as I came walking out the front door about 9:00 AM and just happened to look down and this sucker was long and fast as lighting! I had to check my pulse for a moment as these type things happen so quickly that the only thing that you see is SNAKE! I know that black snakes are good snakes, but when you are not ready for one to come across your path, it might as well be a diamond back rattler!
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Shoulda ran over it. They are the devil.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

World is a better place with less water moccasins
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
You are right about these little ones can make you have a bad day. I almost picked one up last year behind my house while I was clearing some leaves out of the creek that runs through my property. I thought it was a big night crawler for a minute, but then it went into a coiled position and I had to pull my hand back. Dang things can hurt you!

I had a long black snake crawl across my front steps a couple of months ago as I came walking out the front door about 9:00 AM and just happened to look down and this sucker was long and fast as lighting! I had to check my pulse for a moment as these type things happen so quickly that the only thing that you see is SNAKE! I know that black snakes are good snakes, but when you are not ready for one to come across your path, it might as well be a diamond back rattler!
The babies / juveniles are actually more dangerous than the adults. The
venom is exactly the same (potency) regardless of size, but as a snake
get older and hunts, he learns to meter out the amount of venom they
inject into it's prey. This is why some older venomous snakes may not
inject venom at all.... young snakes simply go on instinct. When something
is in range, and they pull the trigger you're usually going to get the full
dose they can inject when they bite. It may actually be a larger amount
than what an adult snake would inject. I went past it a little bit, and
put the truck in reverse and backed up to it. I was about 7-8 feet away
from it when I opened the door and he had already got into "The Position".
I pulled out the cell phone and took one step toward him and he just
struck in my direction !! .. I waited a second to let him calm down, and
raised the phone again, and he struck again. I got the phone just close
enough to get a picture, and far enough to stay out of his reach.... He
calmed down after that. I got the hook and put it down in front of him
to see if he was still pissed off, and he coiled but didn't strike... I got the
hook under him and lifted him up, and seemed to be OK with it. Didn't
get defensive, or try to strike. I moved it over to the grass and set him
down, and he crawled toward it. I picked him up a little bit with the hook
again, and he didn't seem agitated. Got him in the taller grass and he
disappeared into it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
World is a better place with less water moccasins
Most people believe that, but the fact is they do a tremendous service
to the human race by existing. They are God's #1 line of defense against
the most dangerous animal to the human race.... Rats / Mice and rodents.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Plenty of non venomous snakes can do that for us
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
lencho30
KOLA

Male

CockyCash: 4200
lencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
Plenty of non venomous snakes can do that for us
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Found a tiny tiny snake last night on our walkway.... Long story short insurance is not paying for the fire damage.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
Found a tiny tiny snake last night on our walkway.... Long story short insurance is not paying for the fire damage.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post

Hahaha.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Name:  flamethrower.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  189.2 KB

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The babies / juveniles are actually more dangerous than the adults. The
venom is exactly the same (potency) regardless of size, but as a snake
get older and hunts, he learns to meter out the amount of venom they
inject into it's prey. This is why some older venomous snakes may not
inject venom at all.... young snakes simply go on instinct. When something
is in range, and they pull the trigger you're usually going to get the full
dose they can inject when they bite. It may actually be a larger amount
than what an adult snake would inject. I went past it a little bit, and
put the truck in reverse and backed up to it. I was about 7-8 feet away
from it when I opened the door and he had already got into "The Position".
I pulled out the cell phone and took one step toward him and he just
struck in my direction !! .. I waited a second to let him calm down, and
raised the phone again, and he struck again. I got the phone just close
enough to get a picture, and far enough to stay out of his reach.... He
calmed down after that. I got the hook and put it down in front of him
to see if he was still pissed off, and he coiled but didn't strike... I got the
hook under him and lifted him up, and seemed to be OK with it. Didn't
get defensive, or try to strike. I moved it over to the grass and set him
down, and he crawled toward it. I picked him up a little bit with the hook
again, and he didn't seem agitated. Got him in the taller grass and he
disappeared into it.
When I was around 7 years old my dad and I were hunting and he got bitten by a water moccasin. I remember I was really scared as he drove us out of the woods to the hospital but he seemed fine. When we got there the doctor said he got a "dry" bite. He said that it did bite him and did break the skin like normal but didn't inject any venom. That was the first time I had ever heard of anything like that ever happening.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
When I was around 7 years old my dad and I were hunting and he got bitten by a water moccasin. I remember I was really scared as he drove us out of the woods to the hospital but he seemed fine. When we got there the doctor said he got a "dry" bite. He said that it did bite him and did break the skin like normal but didn't inject any venom. That was the first time I had ever heard of anything like that ever happening.
Moccasin Dry bites are rare. Your dad was lucky. I was watching the
Series Swamp Wars on the Animal Planet a few weeks ago, and there was
a policeman (animal control officer) called to an old lady's house because
she saw a snake in her front yard. The cop found a Water Moccasin behind
some rubble, and when he pulled it up with the hook, he got tagged
pretty good. .. It showed him going to the hospital and them marking his
skin every 20 minutes or so and monitoring his swelling and pain level.
It turned out to be a dry bite as well. There have been reported cases
of people getting dry bites from Eastern Diamondbacks, and Timber
Rattlesnakes, but those are very few, and very far between. Thank the
good lord when you get that report from the doc if you ever get bitten
by a Moc or Rattlesnake, because those are very rare.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

You live in the Columbia area, right, Spurticus? I'm just making sure because I remember you talking about living in the Simpsonville area at one time.

According to DNR, there are no venomous WATER snakes in my area, but my in-laws who live on lake Greenwood swear they see moccasins regularly. I'm convinced what they are seeing are northern water snakes, which to some people could be mistaken for a cotton mouth.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Just for reference:

Northern Water snake:

Cotton mouth:

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

WHere does their venom rank on the "Im screwed" scale?
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Let old Si handle it!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Cotton mouth? Is the worst
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
You live in the Columbia area, right, Spurticus? I'm just making sure because I remember you talking about living in the Simpsonville area at one time.

According to DNR, there are no venomous WATER snakes in my area, but my in-laws who live on lake Greenwood swear they see moccasins regularly. I'm convinced what they are seeing are northern water snakes, which to some people could be mistaken for a cotton mouth.
I grew up in Simpsonville, but moved to Columbia 10 years ago when I got
laid off from my job up there. ... Technically a Moccasin isn't considered
a water snake either, but you find them around fresh water areas so most
people call them watersnakes. Again (technically) there's no such thing
as a venomous watersnake in the US. but I know what you're saying.

A brown water snake is probably what people are seeing and mistaking
them as water moccasins. They (the brown watersnake) mimics the
patten of water moccasins. When they flare their head out in anger
(common trait of most all snakes) they can look RELLY close to
identical as a water moccasin. ... The distribution line in S.C. for
moccasins runs through the midlands, so anywhere north of around
Lexington County, you don't find cottonmouths. .. North of there the
only venomous snakes you would find are Copperheads, Timber rattlesnakes
and Pigmy Rattlesnakes.