CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TheUniversityofSC
Gamecocks1137
Spurticus
markymark550
MWard
WeStill0wnUSC
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
Lonnie
gamecockgal
Another A&M aggi (1643)
Predict Clemson 2014 (1390)
Green and Lammons (950)
ACC Wants Helmet Com (744)
Asheville/Spartanbur (563)
2016 - Terrance Davi (420)
2016 - Anthony " (348)
It's Cover Two's bda (316)
Nashville (291)
2016 - Dontye Carrie (239)
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
Another A&M aggie off
2014 ultimate tailgate po
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Good Article for those co
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
Green and Lammons
2015 - Albert Huggins
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
2015 - Traveon Samuel

Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Spurrier's confidence in QBs other than Shaw.

I know there has been lots of "discussion" about the QB position, particularly the 1st and 2nd string guys, but with what has happened concerning Shaw getting hurt but being announced as the starter this week, it made me wonder about Spurrier's confidence in the guys behind Shaw.

For all we know, Shaw really has healed completely and feels 100% right now, and I think we all hope that's the case. But with him just having been hurt badly enough last Saturday to miss almost the entire game, it seems odd Spurrier has announced Shaw as the starter for this week. Is it possible Spurrier just doesn't have enough confidence in the backups and feels Shaw needs to play if at all possible?

If that's the case, then I can't help but wonder about next year when Shaw is gone. I guess it just seems as though Spurrier would have given Shaw a week off just to be safe and let the backups handle this game. Again, I hope this is all a moot point because Shaw really is completely healthy, but I thought I would mention it to get everyone's thoughts.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Spurrier's confidence in QBs other than Shaw.

Good point but Dylan has started and done very well in that roll. The 3rd qb from NC has great upside as a pocket passer bit our oline seems better made for ol school smash mouth football. Time burning 4yds an a cloud of dust football.
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I know there has been lots of "discussion" about the QB position, particularly the 1st and 2nd string guys, but with what has happened concerning Shaw getting hurt but being announced as the starter this week, it made me wonder about Spurrier's confidence in the guys behind Shaw.

For all we know, Shaw really has healed completely and feels 100% right now, and I think we all hope that's the case. But with him just having been hurt badly enough last Saturday to miss almost the entire game, it seems odd Spurrier has announced Shaw as the starter for this week. Is it possible Spurrier just doesn't have enough confidence in the backups and feels Shaw needs to play if at all possible?

If that's the case, then I can't help but wonder about next year when Shaw is gone. I guess it just seems as though Spurrier would have given Shaw a week off just to be safe and let the backups handle this game. Again, I hope this is all a moot point because Shaw really is completely healthy, but I thought I would mention it to get everyone's thoughts.
Spurrier has complete confidence in Dylan, especially against a team like Kentucky. But a lot of you are speculating that Shaw is still injured. But that is nothing more than pure guessing.

We aren't at practice. We have no idea how Shaw feels. There is nothing "odd" about it if he has practiced well and is 100% which is exactly what Spurrier said yesterday.

Injuries are all different and not one of us has been at a practice this week.

Connor could have played in the Clemson game, but Spurrier started Dylan. But Connor was dressed out and practiced as the number 1 most of that week. Connor wasn't 100% by game time and he didn't play. Coach thinks Connor is 100% this week so he will play.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgp View Post
Good point but Dylan has started and done very well in that roll. The 3rd qb from NC has great upside as a pocket passer bit our oline seems better made for ol school smash mouth football. Time burning 4yds an a cloud of dust football.
I agree, but after the way Spurrier talked so much in the offseason about how Thompson would play a good bit this year, Spurrier seems to have been hesitant (at best) to put Thompson in the game, except when Shaw got hurt last Saturday. Yeah, Thompson played 2 series against VU, but that was it. I just can't figure out what's going on (if anything).

So I thought when Shaw got hurt last week and it seemed relatively serious, Spurrier would let Thompson start this game and Nosovitch be #2 (and hopefully let him play to get valuable experience), but he has decided to name Shaw the starter, so I'm just a little concerned. Not scared, mind you, but concerned about the QBs on the roster not named Shaw.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

If Spurrier didn't have confidence in the backups, Shaw would have played at Clemson last year instead of DT imo. After DT, it's completely unknown since none of them have any game experience at all.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Spurrier has complete confidence in Thompson. I believe Shaw was just in a lot of pain and the injury wasn't too bad.

Spurrier has said that it is Thompson's team next year. Nosovich has looked really good at times and bad at times in practice from what I've heard.

Mitch is redshirting and I think it will be a heck of a battle for the starting job between him and Nosivitch in 2015.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Spurrier has complete confidence in Thompson. I believe Shaw was just in a lot of pain and the injury wasn't too bad.

Spurrier has said that it is Thompson's team next year. Nosovich has looked really good at times and bad at times in practice from what I've heard.

Mitch is redshirting and I think it will be a heck of a battle for the starting job between him and Nosivitch in 2015.
Has Spurrier really said Thompson will be the starter next year? I hope not, because I hope it's legitimately a competition instead of simply appointing someone.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Spurrier likes to play his seniors, especially if they are starters. That's a fact and the one thing about Garcia that bothered SOS so much is he wasn't able to finish his career in Columbia. SOS wants Connor to start every game this year because he's a senior and he's our best option to start games. Doesn't mean for a second he won't get yanked if he under performs, just that he's proven himself and he will get a chance to start and finish games.

Can't wait for the Dylan/Noso/Mitch Discussion to begin!
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Has Spurrier really said Thompson will be the starter next year? I hope not, because I hope it's legitimately a competition instead of simply appointing someone.
Yes, he's said "Dylan knows it's his team next year."

I see what your saying but DT has earned it and works so hard and I see no reason he would do any different this offseason.

He's just better than Nosivitch at this point and Mitch will be a RS fresh. Not much competition I don't think for a RS SR with alot of experience and wins under his belt.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

What I find interesting is that the posters that have had the most confidence in Dylan are all of a sudden the ones that are saying that we need to rest Connor this week because we will need him for the tough road games.

It seems to me that they, more than anybody, should have the confidence needed in Dylan to get the job done if Shaw is injured, whether that is this week or down the road. But yet all of a sudden they are worried that Shaw needs to rest this week so he can be ready for the away games?

That just seems interesting to me how that dynamic is playing out.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 10-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Yes, he's said "Dylan knows it's his team next year."

I see what your saying but DT has earned it and works so hard and I see no reason he would do any different this offseason.
I understand, but it almost makes it seem as though Spurrier is assuming the other guys don't/won't work hard and make improvements. What if one of the other guys really busts his tail and improves dramatically in the offseason? Is it still to be Thompson's team even if another guy has surpassed him?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

http://www.cockytalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=686

careful guys and gals.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
My intent of this thread is completely different from the type of thread Cack was talking about, even if some would like to believe otherwise.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

I think the reason that Shaw went out of the game last week was due to Spurrier's confidence in Thompson. Last year when Shaw went down in the Vandy game Spurrier had no idea what Dylan could do so Connor never undressed and eventually went back in and got us the win with his arm hanging to his knee.

Shaw is the starting QB and a tough as nails warrior and the field General of this team. He also knows that this is his final year and there is no way he will let anything get in the way of him playing. If Connor's shoulder is not nearly as healed as we are led to believe we will most likely only see Connor for the first drive with a heavy load of Mike Davis and then Dylan will take over, that way Shaw will get the start for the record books.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
My intent of this thread is completely different from the type of thread Cack was talking about, even if some would like to believe otherwise.
Just be careful what you write or the thread will be deleted very quickly and some folks may find themselves banned.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
I think the reason that Shaw went out of the game last week was due to Spurrier's confidence in Thompson. Last year when Shaw went down in the Vandy game Spurrier had no idea what Dylan could do so Connor never undressed and eventually went back in and got us the win with his arm hanging to his knee.

Shaw is the starting QB and a tough as nails warrior and the field General of this team. He also knows that this is his final year and there is no way he will let anything get in the way of him playing. If Connor's shoulder is not nearly as healed as we are led to believe we will most likely only see Connor for the first drive with a heavy load of Mike Davis and then Dylan will take over, that way Shaw will get the start for the record books.
That's an interesting take, and I hadn't thought of it. I don't necessarily agree, but I like your positive spin on it.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Mr. Belvedere
4-Star

Male

Mr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talonsMr. Belvedere has developed his gaff and talons

This is Shaw's team... Shaw is a SENIOR.

Why are people speculating and assuming things about why Spurrier is starting him?

He's the STARTING QB... if he's not hurt, he plays.

On top of that, Shaw is in line to set just about every QB record in the book. Why deny him because he may not be right at 100%?

Let him play.. relax and enjoy the game.
Mr. Belvedere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

I don't want to deny Shaw anything, and this thread isn't even about him, really. I'm trying to discuss why others haven't seen the field more (or in some cases at all). That's all.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I don't want to deny Shaw anything, and this thread isn't even about him, really. I'm trying to discuss why others haven't seen the field more (or in some cases at all). That's all.
Probably because our defense can give up 21 points in a nanosecond.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Probably because our defense can give up 21 points in a nanosecond.
Maybe that's a reason we should rely more on power running to eat clock and wear down the opponent. As long as Davis goes the right way, I think we would be fine doing that.