CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Yearofthegamecock
gamecock88
TAFC 5 1981
LeeSC
Regalcock
Kentucky prediction (2089)
Just Booked my Hotel (1397)
Best position coach (803)
Waldrop doubtful for (776)
The New Idea That'll (698)
So What? (692)
We Have A New KO Guy (531)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (426)
So What? (267)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (266)
Thoughts on the basketbal
2016 - Rozelle Nix
I'm over the loss, but...
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
QB Recruiting Strategy
What fish do you eat
Best position coach or co
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
2016 - Tavien Feaster
2015 Commitment - Jaire A

Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws
Default Simple thread. Simple question.

Other teams around the country seem to have great special teams.

Why, why, WHY...after 8 seasons under Spurrier, do our special teams still continue to be a liability?
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Simple thread. Simple question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
Other teams around the country seem to have great special teams.

Why, why, WHY...after 8 seasons under Spurrier, do our special teams still continue to be a liability?
They have not really been...got Ryan Succop and Spencer Landing in the NFL...Ace was explosive last year on punt return...Tyler Hull has been good when he has needed to punt...for the most part the blocking has not need bad...and our Field goal kicker has done Well...

Only issues this year is our return guys are not bring smart. Other than that Special teams have done Well.

Speaking of liability...Ace was a huge assist last season in several games on PR... so not really sure what yea mean.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpingamecock View Post
They have not really been...got Ryan Succop and Spencer Landing in the NFL...Ace was explosive last year on punt return...Tyler Hull has been good when he has needed to punt...for the most part the blocking has not need bad...and our Field goal kicker has done Well...

Only issues this year is our return guys are not bring smart. Other than that Special teams have done Well.

Speaking of liability...Ace was a huge assist last season in several games on PR... so not really sure what yea mean.

Well, and we fumble a lot on KR and PR....
Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

As far as kicking and punting, I don't think those are liabilities.
Frye kicked well tonight, and Hull had an nice punt.

Our return game is pathetic though. It is clear we REALLY miss Ace.
And I'm sorry, I like these guys effort and heart, but I think it is clear Vic and Bruce aren't cut out for the return game. Not a knock on them, but being a returner is more than just running fast.

I'd like to see us give Pharoh Cooper a shot at it. He seemed to have the right mentality in high school. Why not give him a shot? Could he really do that much worse than what we have now?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Put Pharo back there

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

And I'm sorry, I like these guys effort and heart, but I think it is clear Vic and Bruce aren't cut out for the return game. Not a knock on them, but being a returner is more than just running fast.

I'd like to see us give Pharoh Cooper a shot at it. He seemed to have the right mentality in high school. Why not give him a shot? Could he really do that much worse than what we have now?

Have to agree....or let the damn ball bounce to the end zone and start at the 25. That's better than we're doing. ...and our kick coverage allows MOST returns to the 30-40.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Well we had excellent special teams last year...when you lose an impact player like Ace any team would take a step back
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

It's not a focal point for Spurrier. Kinda like recruiting which is starting to bite us as well.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
usc90grad
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Why do we catch punts that are inside our 10?

Our special teams definitely isn't special.
usc90grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

You need to be more specific in your title .. Our kicking game has been solid. Fry has a big future ahead of him

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
You need to be more specific in your title .. Our kicking game has been solid. Fry has a big future ahead of him

This. Fry is up there with Lanning IMO.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Why do we catch punts that are inside our 10?

Our special teams definitely isn't special.

I missed that one.....I saw him let one bounce at the 5 and then into the end zone and was thinking we fixed that issue. When did it happen?
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
usc90grad
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
I missed that one.....I saw him let one bounce at the 5 and then into the end zone and was thinking we fixed that issue. When did it happen?
Not talking about last night, but the other games.

And to be fair, I see it a lot in the NFL too. I was always taught you didn't field a punt inside your own 10 unless the other team was right there.
usc90grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

I don't think we "recruit" for a special teams return man like others do..we just try to "plug in" athletes and walk-ons to those positions... Ace was a guy with great hands and greater moves..Ellington is our best option right now on both PR and KOR..He just got caught on the ball much like Davis did last week...We need to be putting the press on a guy like Berrios who could come in and make an immediate impact...Maybe Cooper will help us the rest of the year..
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

THIS!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
It's not a focal point for Spurrier. Kinda like recruiting which is starting to bite us as well.
This is the answer. When it comes to return game, it less ab who returns
And more ab blocking, we do not block effectivly.

You can't block a guy when your FOLLOWING him to the punt return man
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

I feel your pain...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Other than last year, our special teams have been absolutely brutal every single year for as long as I can remember. We've had what, like 8 special teams coaches over the last ten years? Each of them supposed to be the latest and greatest and they all stink.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Right...this year out return game has not been good... both in previous years Special teams is not something we have had to concern ourselves with as a whole... certain parts where lacking yes... but in general they were not a liability.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

When it comes to PR, I'm personally almost to the point of not objecting to rushing 11 and not even putting a returner back there. Just hope you get a good enough rush to force a bad punt or even get a block.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote