CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
b381l
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
usc1
gamecockgal
Gamecockfanatic4
B-G
smoovecock
StormOfTalons
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (874)
Spurrier vs Saban (865)
Kansas to invest $75 (783)
When does fall pract (739)
An Air Algerie Fligh (305)
Expect A Healthy Dos (288)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (279)
Anyone Switching to (279)
Darth Vader 'Vette (205)
Places to eat in Conway?
official UFC thread. (new
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Official WWE Thread
Spurrier vs Saban
college football match up
Coach's media golf press
Preseason Depth Chart
Signee James Thompson arr

Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Quick observations from Kentucky

Sat in Row 22, seat 28 tonight and had a pretty good view of things.

1-Kudos to our DTs tonight. Qualres and Surratt played their best games of the season and dominated the middle of the line that first half. KEntucky adjusted and doubled the tackles the second half.

2-Kudos to Connor for a productive night. Also, nice work by Damiere Byrd, Mike Davis, Jerrel Adams in the receiving game.

3-Good first half D.

4-Nice job Elliott Frye hitting 40 and 41-yard FGs tonight (proved to be big kicks in the long run)

5-Thought Marquis Roberts had a good game at LB.

Now the BAD.
1-Terrible Second half adjustments by the D. I don't know if Kentucky just made that great of adjustments, or our coaches just got lazy in play-calling, but I've never seen a more Jekyll and Hyde night from a unit.

2-I have found Chaz Sutton's problem, and it goes back to coaching. Every time tonight, he tried to bullrush a tackle bigger than him. He has completely forgotten how to get seperation with his hands, and break offensive line holds. This again goes back to Deke, who wants them chasing the ball and overpowering guys.

3-Yet again more special team woes. Nice nights by Frye and Tyler Hull, but our return game is just pathetic. I really think we need to give Pharoh Cooper a shot at the return game, because it is clear HAmpton and Ellington just aren't fit for the job.

4-One of the weaker showings by our Oline. Lots of pressure on Connor in the first half. THe unit got better in the fourth, but this was their weakest performance so far (didn't play terrible, but just not up to the standards they have played so far this year).

5-AGain let an inferior team get back into a game. I don't know if it is coaching, guys losing intensity or what, but this is going to cost us a game or two this year. We can't let teams like ARkansas, UT or Mizzou get back in the game, especially with them being at home.

6-Our second unit DBs got exposed tonight. Ahmad Christian is just not having a good year and communication is still a huge issue in the secondary.

That list came out a lot more negative, but really, this was a game wasted.
USC should've scored 42 points at least tonight, and to let UK have 28 points is inexcusable.

It is clear this is the D we are stuck with this year, and the mistakes they are making isn't something that can be fixed in a week.

We are going to have to outscore people and hope the D can hold the opponent to under 30 to win.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs
Default Re: Quick observations from Kentucky

I'd still like to hear thoughts on how we went 2 full quarters and scored only 2 field goals against UK who are bottom of the SEC? Everyone seems to think the offense is fine and all the problems are with the D. We should have blown this team out.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

This from last week....

This week JD makes a game time decision not to play, and once again Hampton acts selfish and blows coverage multiple times. This defense is in serious lack of leadership. It is visible and apparent during the game. While I agree with what they said after UCF, I would like to see a little more WALK, and a little less TALK.

Hopefully we stay healthy until we get Shaq and Wilds back. Hopefully we use Cooper more!! Looks like 35 points won't be enough to ensure a W, especially at the end of the season.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Shaw played well but my only complaint is two of those sacks in first half were on him. He and sos looked to be on a mission to shut up all dylan supporters who were giddy that Shaw wasn't gonna play. We started off in I formation and shaw was dropping back to pass. The sacks were when shaw didn't run like normal he stopped he stopped and ran parallel to the line to throw like dylan got so much praise for last week. Its what I want him to do just as long as the line knows. I know I am nit picking but it made offensive line look worse than they were
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I'd still like to hear thoughts on how we went 2 full quarters and scored only 2 field goals against UK who are bottom of the SEC? Everyone seems to think the offense is fine and all the problems are with the D. We should have blown this team out.
Kentucky always plays us tough. They have never shown us a chump team. I think USC didn't come into this game pumped but won with superior talent not desire.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
We only had 3 drives in the second half. 1 for a TD, 1 for a FG, and 1 to run out the clock to end the game. That shows the defense was on the field for the majority of the 2nd half. I don't see any rationale for blaming the offense. They punted the ball one time all night and NONE in the second half.

The defense just couldn't get off the field.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
We only had 3 drives in the second half. 1 for a TD, 1 for a FG, and 1 to run out the clock to end the game. That shows the defense was on the field for the majority of the 2nd half. I don't see any rationale for blaming the offense. They punted the ball one time all night and NONE in the second half.

The defense just couldn't get off the field.
When they had the ball it was also obvious the play calling was designed to do everything possible to keep the defense off the field. Spurrier doesn't want to score quick and run the risk of the defense giving up more points.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote