CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
Regalcock
mpilot0705
M.C.
Jwilson
purebredcock
crowcutta
**USC vs. South Alab (17959)
Drew Owens missing? (2047)
Clemson (1855)
Question about after (1415)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1020)
Awful Shooting Conti (1011)
Shaq Roland (914)
Gamecock Men Have Be (829)
FishFry 47-yarder (610)
How about this scena (478)
clemson game time: Noon o
what I think ab ward
Clemson
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Big George Statue
**USC vs. South Alabama G
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Tenn-Mizzou game
Predict nonconference win
Winston

Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Kenucky

Whoo Ha. This is going to be a fun one. I've stayed off the internet and CockyTalk (for the most part) after the game because I wanted to write my unfiltered views, not responses to things people have already written. Judging by the appearance of the front page of the Cock Pit, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Let's dive in, shall we?

OFFENSE
QB:
A

Hello bright spot! Connor is a grown man, and someone who clearly leads by example. I think his shoulder started bothering him during the second half and it showed during his throws, but he played one hell of a game. Dylan didn't look quite as good in his one series as I expected, but I'm still not too worried about him coming in when we need him.

RB: A
Davis is just a beast. He can get yards on his own, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and handles his blocking assignments really well. He's among the top 3 RB in the entire SEC and has evolved into a complete back. He carried the rock 21 times on Sat and caught 3 more passes. 25 - 30 touches for him should be ideal. On the other hand...until Wilds comes back we have nothing behind him. Williams still has his shirt for now, but Shon doesn't look comfortable out there. We may have found something in Cooper though. Yes, he's a WR, but running the wildcat he looked great.

WR/TE: B
We're still seeing a problem with WR getting separation or finding the soft spots in zones. This results in either the QB having to throw it away, take a sack, or take off, so we need to keep working on it. Nice to see Byrd emerge as the guy in this game, and nice to see the TE get so much work. However, seeing Bruce drop off again for the second straight week has me concerned. We need him.

OL: A+
Another great night. Gave up a little interior penetration, but is having the best season of a Gamecock OL that I can remember.

DEFENSE
DL: C

Good thing grades are cumulative. Looked GREAT for 2 1/2 quarters, then lost all push. Once UK started double-teaming the interior guys our DE couldn't make them pay. Sutton is a gifted athlete but he lacks the technique necessary to shed a lineman once engaged. He needs to learn some hand techniques fast.

LB/Spur: C
Better angles in this game, and did a great job on the blitz when it was dialed up. Run gap support was better, but they did a horrible contain job on Kentucky's QB. Still not getting into positions instinctively.

CB/S: F
Oi. There seems to be ZERO communication between these guys. During the last UK TD I pointed to the wide out after they moved the inside wideout over and said they were going to run a pick. They didn't need to, both our guys covered the same guy and left the WR alone in the end zone. This unit's in trouble.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: B

Yay! 2 FGs, the one time we punted it went well...

BUT.

The fumbled kickoff return.

COACHING
Overall:
D

Kentucky is a team that we should kill, and we're up 27-7 at the end of 3. The worst this game should have gotten to is 35-14 instead of a 7 point win. The game plan was sound, especially offensively, but we still fail to make adjustments on defense. Kentucky's QB was running all over us, but we made no steps to contain him...AT ALL. I was happy to see us bring some blitzes. Given how our defensive line hasn't brought a lot of pressure it was a welcome change and caught UK off guard. The main reason the grade is so low is that we don't seem to have a way to stop our late game slides. The coaches have to get control over this team, and they don't have it right now.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
D

I'm tired of feeling like I've lost after a win. Our guys have got to develop a killer instinct instead of letting up off the gas once they get a lead. You think that the guys would have learned from previous weeks, but no, there they are celebrating on the sidelines as UK is fighting back. That has to stop. Good job by the crowd and yes students, I saw you staying for the whole game. Well done.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I'll talk about Clowney in a moment. Look, we don't have the team we thought we would. We almost do. For 3 and a half quarters we did what we were supposed to do, beat the brakes off a bad team. Make no mistake, Kentucky is a bad football team, and we let them back in the game time and time again.

Now that we've almost reached the halfway point in the season here are some things that I know:

1. The OL questions have been answered, the unit's fantastic.
2. Yes, Davis should be starting.
3. No leaders have stepped up on D.
4. Our secondary is not the strength I thought it would be.
5. Team conditioning is a problem.

I was a little concerned after the UNC game, but I've become more and more concerned as the season has gone on. At the end of the game, we're not the fresher team, especially on defense. During the off season everyone says all the right things, but it's obvious this team didn't work as hard at conditioning as previous teams. That has to change.

Our fourth quarter meltdowns will cost us one of these three road games coming up. I'm fairly confident that we match up well with Arkansas, even though we never really play well there, but UT showed me in the UGA game that they're coming to play, and Missouri's offense against our secondary is keeping me up nights.

After that we have Florida and Clemson to worry about. We could easily lose 4 games this year unless the coaches and players get control over this team and play like we're capable of. If we string 4 quarters together, we can beat anyone. However right now our troubles aren't with ability, they're with personnel, discipline, and leadership.

If we don't see changes soon I expect very big changes in the off season in terms of coaches and players. Spurrier will not tolerate this, although much of the blame falls on him.

Fix it guys.

Clowney

OK, one extra this week to deal with Clowney. What Clowney did this week was, to me, inexcusable. You don't call out players on the team the week before and then take yourself out of a game that everyone expects you to play.

Connor sent a not so subtle message to Clowney when he discussed playing with a strained shoulder. I'm afraid that Jadeveon might have too many people whispering into his ear at this point. What he doesn't realize is that alarm bells are going off all over the NFL right now. Yes, his combine numbers will be record breakers, but general managers will hesitate to spend a 1st round pick that won't put out effort for the team. Unless he turns this around he's not only going to be NOT the number one pick, but fall to the late 1st round/ 2nd round if he's not careful.

This team needs leaders and it need Clowney to be one of them.

Right now, he's not.

Comment away, but please don't make this a JD thread, from the looks of things we already have one.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Kenucky

Well said
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

well said. Its funny to me that we used to rely on the defense to win us games and it was ok.Now we have to outscore to win and people arent happy? We have the most consistent qb in the SEC. Best oline IMHO and th most complete back. We will be ok
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Great write up as usual!

Only thing I would change is special teams. Can you grade the kicking game (A) and return game (D-) separately from here out?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Great write up as usual, Acock.

I'm trying to remain positive about the defense and hope they can figure things out. I certainly think they have the talent, they just haven't played like it.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Thank you for the very well written write up. I really appreciate it
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I agree with you on conditioning. Some guys like Williams and Quarles look fat and slower than last year.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
well said. Its funny to me that we used to rely on the defense to win us games and it was ok.Now we have to outscore to win and people arent happy? We have the most consistent qb in the SEC. Best oline IMHO and th most complete back. We will be ok

We have all of a sudden become Big 12 like!! We have to score 35 points or better to win. Just not sure why we have dropped off so much on D in such a short period. I realize we lost a lot from last year, but DAMN!! I would think most of these guys should at least know how to tackle. Our D coaches need to start doing what they are paid to do and quit being Obama like.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his claws

when I was at the game I noticed we didn't really blitz. why for god's sake don't we all out blitz sometimes? also why didn't we let others play on defense like the coaches said? Kentucky basically ran 4 or 5 plays and we couldn't make adjustments.
Garnet 4 Life 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Ummm....

We blitzed more on Saturday than we have all season.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

Garnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his claws

didn't look like it. did cooper not play or Bryant?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I think we lost some speed in order to gain strength and it may hurt us
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
The Octopus
Recruit

Male

The Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervous

I didn't really realize until reading your wright up (which was great once again)... just how great of a coaching move it was by Spurrier to run the wild cat.

1. it took Kentucky off guard b/c it came out of nowhere.
2. it provided Mike Davis some rest
3. it provided Connor Shaw some rest
4. we didn't have to roll the dice with Carson too much.

great move by Spurrier. now if he can maybe remember that we have a Full Back when we're in the red zone & maybe give it to him once in a while, I'll be happy.
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
poppabeary3
Blue Chip

Male

poppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his comb

I agree with pretty much everything, good write up. This team needs to get pissed off, get upset, and start getting after it, especially on defense. I don't think there's much to do about the Clowney situation as everyone else and I think everyone is blowing it way out of proportion, at least for what we know to be fact. That being said, I hope this pisses him off and he comes back (whenever that is) with a nasty attitude. The guy could change our defense's identity by his play alone. He's not a vocal leader but if he has the same killer instinct again that he had at the end of last year (and the UCF game), it would make a world of difference. Hopefully he'll use this as an opportunity.
poppabeary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
The Octopus
Recruit

Male

The Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabeary3 View Post
I agree with pretty much everything, good write up. This team needs to get pissed off, get upset, and start getting after it, especially on defense. I don't think there's much to do about the Clowney situation as everyone else and I think everyone is blowing it way out of proportion, at least for what we know to be fact. That being said, I hope this pisses him off and he comes back (whenever that is) with a nasty attitude. The guy could change our defense's identity by his play alone. He's not a vocal leader but if he has the same killer instinct again that he had at the end of last year (and the UCF game), it would make a world of difference. Hopefully he'll use this as an opportunity.
ya know. i was really thinking that after the Refs gave Kentucky that TD after V.Hampton manned up and pushed that WR back, that it was probably for the best that the Refs robbed us...

It was a helluva play by Hampton, and we probably would have just let them get in the endzone anyways after that, which would have nullified his awesome play with "yet another let down", killing the momentum.

So, after the ref took away the play by calling it a TD, I thought hey.... maybe the D will get pissed off and play hard the rest of the game, and V. Hampton's play can stand up as being awesome + a ref robbery.... and the D can finally make that "identity" for themselves that everyone's wanted.

i was wrong.
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #16
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

I firmly believe, until our team shows otherwise, that our 4th quarter problems are conditioning along several units, all on defense.

Our d-line was GASSED along with the secondary. Now...one could say it's because they were on the field for the entire 4th quarter...but that's because they gave up a LONG drive to end the 3rd, had to go right back out there due to the fumble, and that did it for them.

The thing that concerns me the most right now is we don't have ANYONE on defense that's a playmaker. If Clowney plays he can be that guy, but we don't have anybody making plays right now that change the course of the game (Legree is as close as we have right now).

We need someone on defense to step up and make plays. Bat the ball down at the line, make a pick, strip a fumble, get the sack on 3rd and 6. Right now, when it really, really counts we can't get a stop.

Unless that changes we're going to lose some games.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I firmly believe, until our team shows otherwise, that our 4th quarter problems are conditioning along several units, all on defense.

Our d-line was GASSED along with the secondary. Now...one could say it's because they were on the field for the entire 4th quarter...but that's because they gave up a LONG drive to end the 3rd, had to go right back out there due to the fumble, and that did it for them.

The thing that concerns me the most right now is we don't have ANYONE on defense that's a playmaker. If Clowney plays he can be that guy, but we don't have anybody making plays right now that change the course of the game (Legree is as close as we have right now).

We need someone on defense to step up and make plays. Bat the ball down at the line, make a pick, strip a fumble, get the sack on 3rd and 6. Right now, when it really, really counts we can't get a stop.

Unless that changes we're going to lose some games.
of course but people don't want to hear that. they still think we are going to win out and they want to go to atlanta
Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #18
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

On special teams: will we ever actually do the toss reverse to the other return guy, or is it just a fake to attempt to get the opposing team to bite on it.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Oh yeah, Hook and Ladder = AWESOME.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote