CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
So Disappointed With (1829)
Rank the QBs under S (1358)
Back like cooked cra (963)
Tennessee game (651)
Who start on the d l (613)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (456)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (337)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (160)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Why I think we beat Aubur
7 on 7 flag football bloc
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material
Default Looking At the Stats for Arkansas

Arkansas is a tough team to figure out because of the opponents they’ve played. They ran roughshod over three patsies to start the season (Louisiana-Lafayette, Samford, Southern Miss).

Against Rutgers and Florida their rushing game was largely shut down, gaining 3.36 yards per carry and barely 100 yards against those two teams. However, those two teams have the #2 and #3 rush defenses in the nation.

Against Texas A&M, Arkansas ran (and threw) well, gaining 201 yards on 30 carries (6.7 yards per carry). However, A&M has an awful defense (109th in run defense, 95th in pass defense).

Thus, Arkansas has played either some of the worst run defenses in the country or some of the best. It’s difficult to know exactly how good Arkansas’ rushing attack actually is. Carolina is ranked 34th in run defense and 72nd in pass defense so this is a more favorable matchup for Carolina’s defense. I expect Arkansas to have good but not great success on the ground.

For Arkansas, the common theme on defense is their inability to stop the pass against the major opponents they’ve played. Against Rutgers, A&M, and Florida they’re allowing an average of 282 passing yards per game and have allowed 8 TDs/1 INT and a 64% completion rate. Rutgers has an average passing attack and Florida has a pretty poor passing attack (95th) and those two teams threw very well against Arkansas. As long as we can avoid road game jitters, I think we’ll have a lot of success through the air. Shaw’s efficiency in the air this season has me hopeful.

Looking at these stats has me more optimistic about the game this weekend. However, we still have to overcome whatever bad voodoo Carolina typically has in the Natural State. I am glad this game is being played in Fayetteville instead of Little Rock.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Xnex
Blue Chip

Male

Xnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his comb
Default Re: Looking At the Stats for Arkansas

Yep I think we ought to be okay out in Arky. and we should bring home the "W". That said, it seems to me that Arkansas is nearly always a house of horrors for us. When they are supposed to be better than us, they almost certainly are and they hammer us into the ground. And whenever we are supposedly the better team it seems like we find a way to escape with a "L" on most occasions... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

My hope is that Connor can maintain his level headed approach to the game and consistently find the right guy to throw the ball to or that he can pull the ball down and run it for 8 yards or more on most attempts. If we can pry their defense open with the passing game I really want to see Davis given tons of opportunities to break multiple big runs and hopefully come out of there with >200 yards rushing.

I am really loving me some Mike Davis and I think he is going to be a HUGE star for the Gamecocks. People are gonna start noticing how superb he is really soon, I think.

Prediction of final score:

Gamecocks 36
Arky. 24
Xnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'm just not confident our defense can stop the power run game.
I have no doubt our offense can score on Arkansas, but the Hogs may try to play keep away.

And, we just never play well out there for whatever reason.

Hopes:
USC 38
Arkansas 24

My realistic prediction:
Arkansas 34
USC 31 (Hogs score a TD on the final drive to win the game)

Needless to say, I hope my realistic prediction is WRONG.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

We actually rank 5th in the conference in rush defense, which was surprising to me. The only game we have really been gashed on the ground was UGA.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I think you have to give those Arkansas bookends more credit. Those guys are good and will be Shell & Robinson's toughest test so far.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

I'm concerned about any road SEC game until we win one convincingly, but agree we should be okay. We have to stop their run game and make them one dimensional.

I watched a lot of Arky-UF and Arkansas will hit you and play very physical. They seemed to be coached to go to the limit of the rules in that regard. I hope we react well to that.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

The reason our rush D is ranked high is bc every qb we have faced has carved us up thru the air
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

This will be a close one... It may come down to who has the ball last.
USC 45
Arky 42
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

I'm still worried about this game. I figure if we can stop the run we can get the win. On the other hand, if we stop the run and make them pass, that will make me nervous as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
gohogs14
Walk On

Male

gohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spurs

Keep in mind we start 2 true freshmen at the guard spots and a sophomore in his first year starting at RT. They got allen beat up a few times against florida but for the most part they've played really well for freshmen. That could be a matchup to keep an eye on
Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Looking At the Stats for Arkansas

I personally feel that this will finally be a game where we come out focused, get a big lead, and hold onto it by finally playing a full 4 quarters. I think this wi be something like 42-17 or 42-21
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I personally feel that this will finally be a game where we come out focused, get a big lead, and hold onto it by finally playing a full 4 quarters. I think this wi be something like 42-17 or 42-21
I will give you props for being more confident about this game than I am.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Good write up.

We don't play well on the road because our offense is so dependent upon getting signals from the sidelines prior to the snap.

Unlike other teams we haven't figured out how to do this on the road.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Man I hope you are right! It would make the day a lot more fun for me being around a stadium full of Razorbacks who just lost! I'm sure there will be some nasty things said in my direction but oh well.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think you have to give those Arkansas bookends more credit. Those guys are good and will be Shell & Robinson's toughest test so far.
In turn, Shell and Robinson will be the best combo they have faced on the edge. Should be a battle all game. Steve will throw it all over the yard if he can against their weak DB's IMO
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
gohogs14
Walk On

Male

gohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spursgohogs14 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday View Post
In turn, Shell and Robinson will be the best combo they have faced on the edge. Should be a battle all game. Steve will throw it all over the yard if he can against their weak DB's IMO
Texas a&m's was outstanding. Manziel doesnt need any more help but they definitely make his life easier back there. We only touched him like 5 times all game
Old 10-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
We don't play well on the road because our offense is so dependent upon getting signals from the sidelines prior to the snap.

Unlike other teams we haven't figured out how to do this on the road.
Had no problems with this v. UGA. Can't say about UCF.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

I think the best comparison would be the AR vs UF game. That is especially true with thier backup quarterback who can run like Conner. UF scored pretty good against them and we should as well. I think our D will be good enough to hold their team under 21. (I know, I thought the same thing about UCF and KY too). But, I think our D is getting better as we get more into the season.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

The best stat to me is that we both turn the ball over the same amount-USC 13, Ark 14. At least we shouldn't lose the turnover battle which will win the game for us.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
We actually rank 5th in the conference in rush defense, which was surprising to me. The only game we have really been gashed on the ground was UGA.
To be fair, we really haven't played anybody besides UGA.