CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27962)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2224)
Simple "yes&quo (1571)
We actually didnt lo (1343)
Phil Steele just pre (1251)
what I think ab ward (1119)
Eat Crow (1015)
Extremely Proud (1001)
Garcia: Change the R (796)
I want people to exp (724)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
I want people to explain
Stop bashing Dylan
We actually didnt lose
Extremely Proud
Who start on the d line t
Defense question
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward
We would be 7-1 with just

Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Spurrier really needs to go out on top..

I am going to hate the day the HBC hangs it up, but for the sake of his legacy as a coach, I really hope he goes out on top. The National Media guys will absolutely tear him a part if they get even the tiniest opportunity.

If you think our fans on this board are going to be tough on HBC if we have a year where we go 7-5 or whatever, you wait and see what guys like Gregg Doyel would do to him.

He deserves better than that.

Read the article linked below from Gregg Doyel today. First, Spurrier did make a mistake last Saturday in how he addressed Clowney not playing. But he also said he made a mistake and has backed up Clowney for the rest of the week.

But I don't think I have ever read an article that has as much blatant anger in it as this one.

The problem is that a lot of National Media guys feel this way about Spurrier. Maybe it is the Ron Morris thing, I don't know. But for whatever reason, I can promise these guys would love nothing more than to destroy Spurrier's legacy if he stops winning (even for a season) and they see an opening.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/general/wr...ts-not-clowney

And just to let you know how little Gregg Doyel cares about even trying to come across "fairly" in this article, this is what he said on his twitter account.. "Maybe it's possible to defend Jadeveon Clowney without ripping Spurrier. But I didn't try."
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier really needs to go out on top..

SOS will always be a legend here... I don't give a duck what some angry nerd reporter says..
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Who the f*** thinks what Greg Doyal thinks?

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

Way more people in the media like Spurrier, especially nationally.
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambam View Post
Way more people in the media like Spurrier, especially nationally.
I have always thought the same, but it seems like that started changing with the Ron Morris situation.

But maybe I am wrong. I certainly hope so.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

who is gregg doyel? there is probably a reason he writes for a third or forth tier internet site.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
I am going to hate the day the HBC hangs it up, but for the sake of his legacy as a coach, I really hope he goes out on top. The National Media guys will absolutely tear him a part if they get even the tiniest opportunity.

If you think our fans on this board are going to be tough on HBC if we have a year where we go 7-5 or whatever, you wait and see what guys like Gregg Doyel would do to him.

Read the article linked below from Gregg Doyel today. First, Spurrier did make a mistake last Saturday in how he addressed Clowney not playing. But he also said he made a mistake and has backed up Clowney for the rest of the week.

But I don't think I have ever read an article that has as much blatant anger in it as this one.

The problem is that a lot of National Media guys feel this way about Spurrier. Maybe it is the Ron Morris thing, I don't know. But for whatever reason, I can promise these guys would love nothing more than to destroy Spurrier's legacy if he stops winning (even for a season) and they see an opening.

And just to let you know how little Gregg Doyel cares about even trying to come across "fairly" in this article, this is what he said on his twitter account.. "Maybe it's possible to defend Jadeveon Clowney without ripping Spurrier. But I didn't try."

The difference here is Spurrier has won a Heisman, A National Title, and many SEC titles and an ACC title.. He is the second most winning SEC coach only behind Bear Bryant......The guys who you speak to tear him down and try to ruin his legacy are douchebag nobodys. Who cares what they say?
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Spurrier brought the venom on himself. He's apologized for it and acknowledged he handled it poorly, but the damage is already done.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

HBC built three programs Duke, Florida, and South Carolina. He is a college football god.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Doyel did go way overboard, though. The comment about Spurrier being good at running a newspaper was way out of line.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
Spurrier brought the venom on himself. He's apologized for it and acknowledged he handled it poorly, but the damage is already done.
Sure he did, but there should be some common sense used in determining what is an appropriate level of "venom." Spurrier made a mistake. This guy writes about it as if his actions were worse than Jerry Sandusky's. And trust me, I don't say that flippantly.

When the Ron Morris thing was going on, many of these National Media guys were actually calling for Spurrier to resign.

Edit - just saw your follow up comment.

I don't disagree that the premise of the article has some merit. But he went overboard to a point that is just ludicrous. And I have a feeling these guys will sink their teeth in if Spurrier ever has a season that is seen as a disappointment. Hope that never happens.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Doyel is a douche...Frankly I could give a rip about him as would Spurrier...

Quote:

highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

In my opinion, he's been living the dream ever since we started getting good. His life must be amazing. He never seems to get too stressed out. He drinks, plays golf, is beloved in his new home, gets to do what he loves, and has a heisman and a natty title if anyone wants to talk trash. He spends a lot of time with family and is famous. Baller!
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
In my opinion, he's been living the dream ever since we started getting good. His life must be amazing. He never seems to get too stressed out. He drinks, plays golf, is beloved in his new home, gets to do what he loves, and has a heisman and a natty title if anyone wants to talk trash. He spends a lot of time with family and is famous. Baller!
Agree with this 100%, but Spurrier does care about his reputation and how he is remembered. If he didn't, the Ron Morris situation would have never happened. And Spurrier is very quick to correct someone if you get a fact about him wrong. So he does care.

I know that none of this stuff will ever matter to SC fans. He will always be a legend to us. But he deserves to go down as one of the best coaches in College history when looked at nationally.

I am just saying that there are more and more national guys that are taking big time shots at him any chance they get.

These articles do matter to people who read them nationally because they are reading the local stuff that gives a better picture of Spurrier.

For example, I have no idea what is going on with Mack Brown other than what I read from guys like Gregg Doyel. I don't read the local Texas beat writers.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

If, and that's a big if, SOS hangs up his visor after a few down years, only a moron would evaluate a career like his based on the twilight of his career. He could have quit coaching after Florida and be considered a legend. What he has accomplished here is just gravy as far as his legend status is concerned. That said, his achievements thus far at USC have put his name up there with Bear Bryant and I don't think the HBC is done yet.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Doyel thought UNC didn't cheat...enough for his credibility! Even a moron could see beyond that.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Doyle may be a douche but I actually agree with him. Not the entire mean spirited diatribe but the part about causing this media onslaught and 24 hour national attack on the entire character of one of our own. He absolutely caused it.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Spurrier is and always will be a media darling, he sales, is a good interview, has tons of fans, speaks his mind and does things the right way. No matter what a snot nose little punk trying to make a name for himself prints, SOS, HBC is a brand of its own.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Someone making a mountain out of a molehill. SOS has been outspoken and at times mispoken since forever.
We all knew he did things like this when we hired him. He did this a UF and did this at 'Skins.

He did this with Blake Mitchell and with almost every QB we've had until Connor Shaw.

The players still like Steve Spurrier and that's all that matters. Don't forget it was Jadeveon who took the Arby's picture back in Aug.

After today, people will forget all about this as they have forgotten all about the Blake Mitchell and other comments.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

While Spurrier has taken this program to uncharted heights, I'm now convinced that we're never going to win the SEC. We've gotten SOME elite players, but we don't get as many as the elite teams in the SEC. We're never going to be as consistent as Georgia, Alabama, Florida, etc.

I don't think that not winning the SEC hurts Spurrier's legacy, simply because of the history of our program. We've had more success than ever before and we beat Alabama, and beat cLIMPson 4 straight years, and Florida and Georgia 3 straight years.