CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
Captain9Dragons
Cockypantherfan
Sunday college footb (511)
Ole Miss Projected R (510)
Early Pre-Season wom (498)
So who was the dude (488)
Kentucky Inmate Star (462)
Acock reviews the SE (457)
Get the SEC Network (433)
Tennessee hires Donn (426)
2001 vs Sandstorm (324)
Does anyone have a l (255)
Name a Gamecock
2015 - Nyheim Hines
2001 vs Sandstorm
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Softball tops Georgia Sou
Does anyone have a link t
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
SEC Network "Take It

Old 10-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Midseason awards

We're now at about the halfway point in our season so I'll give my assessment on what we've seen up to this point.

MVP: Mike Davis- He's leading the SEC in rushing with 758 yards which puts him on pace for over 1500 for the year. The guy is a beast. Power, speed, vision, cutback ability...he has it all. And he's provided a huge running threat giving our offense the balance it needs. I expect we'll start to see teams key in on him in the very near future like they did with Lattimore.

Co-MVP: Connor Shaw- Here are some stats for you:
85-124 68.5% 1146 yards 10 TDs 0 INTs 369 rush yards 2 TDs

Connor is quietly turning in one of the best years we've ever seen at QB at USC. He's a guy you can count on to give it his all and a consistent performance every Saturday out. I think it gets taken for granted too. Shaw has been about as good as he can be.

Shout outs:

Offensive Line- They've given up a few sacks lately but have been arguably the best line we've seen in the Spurrier era. There aren't any guys I can point to and say is the obvious weak link. Clayton has been a pleasant surprise filling in for the injured Cody Waldrop. Job well done Elliot.

Damiere Byrd- I think Byrd has been noticeably better this year. I see him hanging on to a few more balls this year than he did last year. He's becoming the deep threat we've wanted him to be since he got here.

Pharoh Cooper- We've only seen him get touches in 2 games but so far he's made a pretty big impact. Longest punt return of the year at 36 yards and couple of nice runs. He adds another dimension to our offense and I'm sure the coaches are looking at more ways to get him the ball.

Elliot Fry- Not only is he 6-6 on field goals but he's made them all with relative ease. All have been straight down the middle and with plenty of leg. Spurrier doesn't like to kick a whole lot but you bet he has faith in this guy if he needs him.

There are other players that deserve to be mentioned but these guys stood out to me. Notice no defensive players on that list. There are guys having solid seasons out there but I think our defense had such high expectations at the beginning of the year that I can't say anyone has been noticeably outstanding for us. That can still change. We took a step forward against Arkansas and I hope that trend continues.

Looking ahead:

Arkansas isn't the best team but if we put together a complete game like we did today then I believe we can still run through the rest of the schedule undefeated. I think we'll see guys like Shamier Jeffery, Cooper, Roland and perhaps Whitehurst get increased touches in the coming weeks and more guys on defense will get their chance to shine as well.

UT and Mizzou will be tough on the road but we proved today that we can execute on the road if we play hard and focused the whole game.

Mizzou is impressive but our chances went up a lot with Franklin being out. Not to mention UGA's injuries open the door for a potential loss at Aub or UF.

Also, Clemson is very beatable.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Midseason awards

I think I'd swap your MVP and CoMVP. Shaw is in the midst of arguably the best season ever for a QB here.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
JoeMorrisonLives
4-Star

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Both Shaw and Davis should be in Heisman talks, but I don't think Shaw would win it just because he probably won't have the stats other QBs in hurry-up schemes by season's end. You can bank on it that voters won't look at yards each QB accounted for per snap played.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

From David Cloninger

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 1h
Just a reflection, halfway through the season -- Connor Shaw has played his tail off. Easily this team's MVP.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talonsnodnahs has developed his gaff and talons

Shaw='s heart!!! Can't teach it..
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
GoldenSpur7
Veritas vincit ...

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
From David Cloninger

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 1h
Just a reflection, halfway through the season -- Connor Shaw has played his tail off. Easily this team's MVP.
No way, imo. Davis is picking up big yards after contact, first downs that we otherwise wouldn't be picking up. Hit some big, momentum-gaining home runs, too. Teams have to respect our running ability, and that aids the passing game.

Connor has been excellent, though.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I think I'd swap your MVP and CoMVP. Shaw is in the midst of arguably the best season ever for a QB here.
amazing what a good OL and excellent RB will do to help a QB....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

I would also have to go with Mike Davis. When picking an MVP I like to think about how the team would fare without that player. I honestly wouldn't even want to imagine this season without Mike Davis, especially the UCF game. IMO this team would still be 5-1 with Dylan Thompson starting.... No disrespect to Connor Shaw though that kid is playing with a lot of heart this season.
SC Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

I'd say Davis just cause of the UCF game. We could have easily lost that game had he not turned it out in the second half. Shaw a CLOSE second.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
cockyjordan3
Wofford Terrier

Male

CockyCash: 392442
cockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Re: Midseason awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
I'd say Davis just cause of the UCF game. We could have easily lost that game had he not turned it out in the second half. Shaw a CLOSE second.
Connor moved the ball well on the first drive. May not have had trouble and needed Davis to be superman if Connor stayed healthy.

cockyjordan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
Cocky_Knight
Walk On

Male

Cocky_Knight has hatched from the shell

I'm gonna have to agree with Davis as the MVP. That UCF game I think gives him the edge.
Cocky_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
I would also have to go with Mike Davis. When picking an MVP I like to think about how the team would fare without that player. I honestly wouldn't even want to imagine this season without Mike Davis, especially the UCF game. IMO this team would still be 5-1 with Dylan Thompson starting.... No disrespect to Connor Shaw though that kid is playing with a lot of heart this season.
Doesn't thinking the UCF game was won solely by Davis kind of negate the belief that Thompson would be the same as Shaw? I think based on history it would be fair to question how Wilds would perform as a feature back as well.

Davis is a special player but Connor is having a special season.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote