CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2109)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1598)
Former Gamecock root (1445)
Franks boy's are pla (1290)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (630)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (587)
Kentucky is dominati (561)
Bruce!!! (556)
Question for those w (461)
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
KCCOCK
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
KCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spurs
Default Shaw Best QB Ever

I have been saying all season that Shaw has become one of the best QB's we have ever had. I am thoroughly impressed with all aspects of his game. His touch on the short passes is there. How many times has he hit MD in stride on those swing passes ( we have never had a qb do that that I can recall). Where he is impressing me the most is the long ball. He is putting those deep throws on the money. He throws a beautiful, confident, catchable ball. His completion percentage and TD/int ratio is lights out.

His running ability adds a dimension to our offense that makes us hard to stop. How many times has he scrambled on third and long to pick up a crucial first down? Yesterday I think he picked up a third and 17 when the game was still close. That will brake a defense's back as it did yesterday. He is a defensive coordinator's nightmare.

I don't understand why isn't getting the national media attention but I think that if we can win out and make it to seccg or bcs game, he deserves to be in the Heisman running (deserves to be doesn't mean he will be). It is true that we have a lot of weapons and a pretty solid O line this year. A good QB will figure out a way to utilize them. Overall the guy is a baller and we need to appreciate what we have, while we have it.
KCCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
11SWU10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 720
11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Shaw Best QB Ever

Long time USC Fan, he has been a winner and may be the best qb. Needs more credit in the press.
He has earned our respect.
11SWU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

He is a leader as well as a great QB. I hope the folks who were running down his accomplishments earlier recognize his worth.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
He is a leader as well as a great QB. I hope the folks who were running down his accomplishments earlier recognize his worth.

dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

fwiw, Garcia hit Latti in stride on the swing passes consistently. (Note I said consistently, not 100%)

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Agreed...if Shaw was on Alabama's team he'd be getting major props.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

He undrethrew long passes for a long time and was too quick to tuck and run for a long time. But, the kid has done what others before him have not, he has taken the good coaching from SOS and Mangus and improved tremendously. That long td pass he dropped in to byrd in stride was a thing of beauty and that option pitch he slung in front of Davis running up the left in the first half was perfect. He was a freakin surgeon yesterday executing the plays we were baffling Arky with.

I enjoy hearing Todd and Tommy talk about Connor in the "best ever" terms. Remember those dudes were pretty damn good Gamecock QB's themselves.

Plus I have met Connor and found him to be intelligent and likeable. Definitely happy this young man is a Gamecock and really enjoying watching how he's progressed as a senior.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I think I read he is second behind Ellis for Wins (i think he needs 3 more to pass Todd) and 4 TD passes away from Garcia. I think he can get both, so thats pretty high up there.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I had been waiting for someone to throw a bomb that Byrd run under. Great throw.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Shaw is only 3 or 4 wins away from Todd's record for most wins.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

What's Shaw's record as a starter, 19-4? Are any other USC QB's close to that kind of winning % or total wins? If Shaw wins out, I'll personally consider him the greatest USC QB of all time, regardless of other stats.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I hope SOS sticks around long for our other Connor to develop similarly. I'm having fun watching this offense when they are on, hopefully we can pull this off against a stronger D. We made a ton of mistakes and still got 50. I wanna see less mistakes and 40 against UF.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Nuke LaLoosh
Recruit

Male

Nuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spurs

11 wins this year and the Cap 1 bowl victory, there is a good argument for it. A BCS Bowl bid, OR a SEC championship would seal it.
Nuke LaLoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
CocksfanNC
Gamecock Mama

Female

CockyCash: 100500
CocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot material

I've felt that Shaw has been underrated for quite some time; he's starting to get some respect in the media, which is gratifying to see. We are blessed to have Thompson in the mix, too, plus several other guys waiting in the wings. We have an embarrassment of riches at QB!

Also, I love how Shaw and Thompson support each other. They truly want to see the other do great things, which is how it should be.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Couple of practice reports I posted in 2010 had the statement in them
That "Shaw is the future of this program". I posted here on this board
in the fall of 2010 (more than once) that Connor Shaw gave me flashbacks
to watching Jeff Grantz play in the 70s. That statement held a lot of
weight with me personally because I still consider Jeff Grantz and John
Roche to be the two best all round athletes I've ever seen in Gamecock
uniforms.
As a note...Connor Shaw just tied Todd Ellis' mark for most wins as a
starting QB in the history of this program. I'm sure everyone has heard this
by now BUT, no one is saying much about the fact that Todd Ellis started
from day one as a True Freshman QB here at USC, and with the exception
of the few games he missed due to the knee injury, he started four seasons
with the Gamecocks. ... Connor Shaw has only been the starting QB
for (what will be at the end of this season barring injury), 2 and 1/2
seasons. THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE ABILITY OF THIS YOUNG MAN
TO LEAD OUR OFFENSE !!
Not only will he break Todd's record by several games, but he will have
done it with almost a full 1 1/2 seasons less than Ellis played during his
time as the QB here.

For the record, I still consider Jeff Grantz to be the greatest USC QB
I've ever seen in my lifetime, but Connor Shaw is a close second (A
VERY CLOSE SECOND) in my book. Connor deserves more credit
nationally for what he's doing with this offense the past couple of
seasons, but to be honest, I'm glad he isn't. After seeing the way the
national media has treated Jadeveon this season after basically building
him into a football god in the offseason has me glad that Connor is
"quietly" going about becoming the best QB in our program's history.
AND, I'm positive that the way Connor approaches the game from a
personal level, he'd rather have it this way as well. The MAN is a
good QB, but he's an exceptional young man with a bright future ahead
of him no matter what direction that future leads him. I'm just glad that
he came to South Carolina to play football, and I'm glad I was witness
to his accomplishments here.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I had been waiting for someone to throw a bomb that Byrd run under. Great throw.
The old ball coach was giggling like a little school girl.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Alright I will say that Shaw has become the QB I have wanted to see. I have been very critical of Shaw this year as well as last. Fast forward into the arky game and now I see him as a great QB. The last two games he has become very confident in his O-line and is trusting them. Shaw needs to get more attention for his play, but as long as he keeps winning I don't care if the analyst take notice. I know Spurrier will continue to get his stock higher and as long as Spurrier can continue to call games like he did against arky we will be fine from here on out.

Also I have noticed that Shaw isn't dependent on one or two receivers. He is throwing the ball to everybody. This is a Spurrier Offense and when its clicking it's a beautiful thing.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Still hasn't thrown an int. which is amazing. The dude has really improved. He is truly playing the best he's ever played.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I'm just curious why Shaw is so open to criticism when other players are exempt from it? Anything positive about him is immediately followed by something someone doesn't like but that's okay. Certain other players have something negative said and all of a sudden they're not "fans".
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

The offense has really come together. From Shaw progressing to MD28 running like an All-American and our OL flat out performing better than any line during Spurrier's tenure. We could really have something special this year if the defense continues to develop. Even the Special Teams seemed to find their way yesterday with Cooper looking like a natural and Fry kicking like he's a fifth year senior.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote