CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Acockolypse Now
Luke Skycocker
B-G
TigerSpectator
StormOfTalons
johnnyb
spareparts
gamecockgal
markp_vip
Anyone heard anythin (2792)
Musburger/Palmer to (1205)
Shaq R. (1080)
Dustin Johnson takin (987)
Kewl video (714)
I'm in the Atlanta a (650)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (647)
Film Room: Can Victo (403)
weather in columbia (367)
Overrated and Underr (244)
Backup QB competition
Overrated and Underrated
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
2014 Preseason USA Today/
Dustin Johnson taking a l
Musburger/Palmer to comme
What ever happened to Phi
An Aggies View of the Mat
Anyone heard anything abo
Shaq R.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's SEC Wrap Up: Week 7

12 SEC teams played this week. 6 scored over 35 points and 5 scored over 40. I'm still shocked by what's going on this year, but I'm kind of embracing it now. Suck it Oregon.

Game 1: Mississippi State 21 Bowling Green 20
MSU needed two 4th down stops and a fumble to avoid losing to Bowling Green. At home. I had actually picked Bowling Green to win this game based on the fact that they're a pretty good team and MSU is, well... not. More cowbell please.

Game 2: Auburn 62 W. Carolina 3
Auburn scored on every single possession except 3. One was an INT, and the other two were at the end of the game as they tried to run down the clock. I hope they gave Auburn's punter something to do. Refill water bottles or make this week's cash payments. Something.

Game 3: #1 Alabama 48 Kentucky 7
Alabama rolled up 668 total yards in offense against Kentucky. That's two more than I need to know that Saban's the Antichrist. Further proof: his parents raised him with two surly dobermans and an old priest tried to stab him on an alter with a holy dagger when he was 6. He failed, and the rest of the SEC football world is now made to suffer.

Game 4: #10 LSU 17 #17 Florida 6
Hot damn, this is how the SEC is supposed to look! Low scoring, incredibly physical, and crazy-ass press conferences from the coaches afterwards. Jeremy Hill is a man-beast. How did LSU lose to Georgia?

Game 5: #9 Texas A&M 41 Ole Miss 38
I can't decide whether Texas A&M played a crappy game (again) or whether Ole Miss played the game of their life. Either way an Ole Miss team that couldn't score on 'Bama suddenly come within 6 minutes of beating ATM. I still have trust issues with ATM.

Game 6: #14 South Carolina 52 Arkansas 7
Bret Bielema promised to bring Big 10 football to the SEC. He did.

Game 7: Missouri 41 #7 Georgia 26
If you're a half-glass full kind of guy you could see this as UGA's backups scoring 26 points on Missouri. There is no mercy in the SEC however, and Mizzou finally gets a signature win a year and a half into the SEC. Georgia's defense is like talcum powder on teflon, yet Mizzou only gained 375 yards on them. In fact, if you really want to rub salt in the wounds of Georgia fans, point out that two of Georgia's 4 turnovers resulted in 14 Mizzou points. That means that UGA wouldn't have needed to go for two and would have probably squeaked out a win even though they were without apparently every offensive starter except for Aaron Murray. Oh well, hat's off to Mizzou, they found a way to win.

Week 7 Power Ranking
1. Alabama (6-0)
Next up Arkansas: The early season jitters appear to be over.

2. LSU (6-1)
Next up @Ole Miss: Still no bye week for LSU. The scheduling folks did them no favors this year but they continue to gut out the wins. Florida was huge for them.

3. Texas A&M (5-1)
Next up Auburn: I'm making this my upset special of the week. ATM keeps dodging bullets, this week might be the week they can't get out of the way. Auburn's offense is starting click at just the right time.

4. South Carolina (5-1)
Next up @Tennessee: Finally played a complete game. Stiff test this week, especially if they start looking ahead to Mizzou (yeah, I know, that sounds odd).

5. Florida (4-2)
Next up @Mizzou: Yeah, I know they lost, but they played LSU tough, and their defense is still the real deal. This game is going to be fascinating to watch.

6. Missouri (6-0)
Next up Florida: Still undefeated. With Franklin being out though I don't see them being able to get past Florida. If you dive deeper into the UGA stats, you'll see they actually underperformed against them compared to other SEC teams so far.

7. Auburn (5-1)
Next up @Texas A&M: Is Gus Malzahn still doing that weird thing with his hair? Huge opportunity for Auburn here.

8. Georgia (4-2)
Next up @Vandy: I know it's just one loss, but how they lost really mattered. UGA's beat up worse than a Clemson date and their defense is still AWOL. Going on the road at Vandy should help out and give some guys time to heal.

9. Tennessee (3-3)
Next up South Carolina: A week off after last week's moral victory should help, but it appears that Spurrier's got his ship righted at South Carolina. UT gained confidence against Georgia, so this one could be tight.

10. Mississippi State (3-3)
Next up off: Mississippi State gets another week off. For most teams that's a welcome break, but for the Bulldogs it just means they have to stay in Starksville another week.

11. Ole Miss (3-3)
Next up LSU: The good news is that Rebel fans can go back to drinking. Next year guys, next year.

12. Vandy (3-3)
Next up Georgia: The game's gonna suck, but worth watching to see if Franklin shivs Grantham on the sideline.

13. Arkansas (3-4)
Next up @Alabama: Bret Beilema misses cheese, pierogis, and fans that don't wish him bodily harm.

14. Kentucky (1-5)
Next up off: Kentucky catches a bye week. Mark Stoops is starting to distinguish himself as the Stoops that loses both the big AND small games.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Acock's SEC Wrap Up: Week 7

USC vs Tenn, UGA vs Vandy and UF vs Mizzou are all noon games and my DVR doesn't work.
Good write-up as always but I would put Ole Miss over Tenn and MSU.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Much like the AP, I award teams on a bye week.

Yeah, Ole Miss is probably better than both of those teams, but the wheels are starting to fall off there. Three straight losses with LSU up next. Right now I see them finishing up around 7-5, which I guess is good, but is it good enough based on the fans' expectations.

Plus, I'm penalizing Hugh for arguing with the fans.

Bush league.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

The Acock SEC Wrap-up gets no love while the Acock's Game Wrap-up goes Casey Kasem all week long. I know the real deal.

I won't attempt to add anything witty (like another Bielema fat joke) to the high commentary. But I will say that the original movie "The Omen" with Gregory Peck and Lee Remick is without question the scariest movie ever. It never gets any recognition because the generic choices for "scariest movie" are always "The Exorcist" (which is cheesy, like the scene when Linda Blair is flopping on the bed looks like she's riding a mechanical bull) and "The Shining" (other than the Grady scene in the bathroom, which is one of the best things Stanley Kubrick ever did, everything else is sort of cheesy). The Omen really stands out. There is something seriously wrong with that movie. It is filmed in this sort of soft-focus hazy technique which makes it look like a horror version of a 1970's soft-rock video by David Gates and Bread, and it has ZERO comic relief. Not one scene in that movie is intended to be anything less that extremely psychotic. You almost feel queasy liking it, because it is not meant to be liked. And Gregory Peck is up there with Robert Mitchum and Rod Steiger as far as amazing 1970's actors go. Not to mention Damien is a seriously weird - and I mean genuinely shit-scared-out-of-you weird - child actor. He almost suggests that HE is possessed, not just playing the role of a possessed child. And if you think about it, this movie comes out during the middle of a truly great time in America, because there's nothing like child demonic possession one year removed from the Son of Sam murders and right around the time Billy Carter was belching during presidential press conferences. Just a seriously scary as hell movie.

Speaking of Son of Sam, I think Hugh Freeze blew his Bowling Green interview, which is what that game essentially was.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Thanks Spare.

I was initially going to mention that Nick's nanny hung herself at one of his birthday parties while yelling "it's all for you Saban!" but figured most people wouldn't get the reference.

I saw that movie as a kid and it messed me up.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

That is one movie you shouldn't be watching as a child. Good grief man. Did your mom & dad take you to see "Rosemary's Baby" too?

Seeing "The Omen" as a child would leave you sleeping with a night light until you were 50 years old.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Yeah, I still won't let kids ride a tricycle near me when I'm watering plants on a rickety stool on a second floor balcony.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPitTransmaniacon rules the CockPit

I find almost nothing terrifying about theologically based horror films (or all horror films, for that matter), but the original Omen is a special exception. It's all about tone, and it has a tone that disrupts comfort like a bad drug. Spare mentions the absence of laughs, an he's right, but I think great comedy works in a similar way. The difference between the two is like the difference between a good and bad trip, in a way. And, the few horror movies that really understand this (The Shining being another good example) actually manage to work on me. The rest are more like bad trucker speed than a bad trip.
Transmaniacon is online now   Reply With Quote