CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
ccured
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
Fight, win, kick a-- (1385)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1035)
The Gator Bowl wants (1023)
CFN prediction for a (936)
A simple defensive l (808)
USC will upset Aubur (804)
In-state QB talent (627)
This is War (399)
Texas athletic direc (390)
SEC Debate: Best can (352)
Rest of the season predic
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
The Gator Bowl wants us!
A simple defensive line &
In-state QB talent
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur

Old 10-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb
Default Shawn Elliott and the offensive line

I know some of you on here were saying that this year Elliott may indeed be on the hot seat. while I didn't agree with that statement, I saw where some may have been coming from. I stated before the season that I believed that we will have the best o-line we've ever had here at South Carolina. This thread is meant to be a simple shout out to the hard work coach Elliott has put into developing a BEASTLY line, and a great big pat on the back for the effort that these young men have put in to develop into the unit they have become. Go Cocks!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Shawn Elliott and the offensive line

I was thinking the same thing. Elliot has made good on his hype.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Gamecock fans may need to enjoy it while we can. There was message board fodder starting up over the weekend that we could lose 3 guys to the draft this year (Cann, Shell, Robinson) in addition to Patrick who is a Senior.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Yes.
Out of all the coaches who had a bullseye on his back heading into the season, Elliott has coached his guys up, and these are HIS GUYS.

I'm very excited now about the crop of guys we have coming up, and think we could be seeing the beginning of some strong OLine play over the next few years. (really excited to see Park, Knott, King and Rogers).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Gamecock fans may need to enjoy it while we can. There was message board fodder starting up over the weekend that we could lose 3 guys to the draft this year (Cann, Shell, Robinson) in addition to Patrick who is a Senior.
Yeah i've been thinking this all year.... hopefully we can convince a couple to stay! If not, we've been recruiting well on the line the past couple of years so we should be ok (if you don't agree just let me think it)
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Isn't Shell a true sophomore?
Dont think he is even eligible this year.

I also don't see Robinson going..still needs work on pass protection.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Isn't Shell a true sophomore?
Dont think he is even eligible this year.

I also don't see Robinson going..still needs work on pass protection.
Shell is a RS Sophomore. He is eligible.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I said at the beginning of the year that this was Elliot's "show-me" year.

He has, and he's getting the job done.

I hope we don't have that kind of attrition on the o-line. I'm all for guys living their dreams but just once I'd like to see a talented senior-led team.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It's amazing what happens when you actually try to recruit for this position.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Picky picky, Diz.
Guess that hot seat's keeping Shawn's buns warm on these cool Oct nites.
O-line's not so offensive anymore.
LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sounds like one hell of a recruiting tool to me! With Stanley and Young this year already, get ready to pile them up next year but something tells me Shell and Cann will want to come back to repeat.....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
kingjgd
Walk On

Male

kingjgd has hatched from the shell

How is Mason Zandi working out? My daughter went to high school with him.
kingjgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjgd View Post
he has become a situational player on jumbo packages......but still a work in progress....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
....and give them a year or two to develop.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjgd View Post
He's getting into games now, at least. They have utilized him as a power-package TE for blocking, where they have him added to the 5-man OL. That's the most I've seen him on offense. He has also played some on the OL in backup situations - played a ton versus Arky last week in the 4th qtr. But he's still younger and still needs to keep working on adding good weight to his frame...

I've been quite pleased with Coach Elliott and the OL this season. It hasn't been too big of a surprise, but it's definitely pleasing. Building a solid OL takes time - especially after the hole USC had been put down in with the position. Coach Elliott had to almost start totally from scratch.

He had help from Eric Wolford's lone year in the program in 2009: as soon as Wolford put on the Garnet & Black and rolled up his sleeves, you could almost smell it in the air how the OL position turned totally around in every phase. Then Coach Elliott took over and has taken it further.

Patrick, Cann, Robinson, and Gibson were all brought in by Wolford initially in the 2010 class he started, and then Elliott came in and kept them from scattering. Hopefully they don't all bolt after this season, because we've finally gotten to the point where we're fielding a OL that is mostly experienced as a unit, just like most of the SEC typically fields. Next season should be even better avoiding any major injury: IMO both Shell and Robinson could benefit from the extra season. Cann IMO should go after this season: he has been a starter for 3 years, and is pretty developed out. He could stand to improve a bit physically and consistency-wise, but it would'nt be a lot of difference....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
None but Ron show up in two of the mock draft sites I looked at.
There are a lot of high profile OTs in the '14 draft. Not sure if any of our OTs would leave for 4th-7th rd money. A.J. is the one I'd expect to leave....he likely will not move up any more.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/OT

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/OT.php
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Taco Tuesday
Recruit

Male

Taco Tuesday has feathers coming inTaco Tuesday has feathers coming in

Quote:
I have had zero convos or any reliable sources make me believe this but with the relationship Thompson has with the oline (especially Cann) I think they all will come back.
Taco Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

I've been impressed with the OL this year. Not only the starters but the backups have been awesome! I really hope they don't bolt, we need a good OL with Thompson as the starter...much less mobile.

Just realized I posted stuff that goes without saying. Regardless, I'm proud of Elliot and this OL!
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Picky picky, Diz.
Guess that hot seat's keeping Shawn's buns warm on these cool Oct nites.
O-line's not so offensive anymore.
LOL.
I never understood why people wanted to question Elliot to begin with. The oline issues were squarely on recruiting neglect. The staff focussed on skill positions the first few years and didn't really try to recruit the oline until Wolford got here. Elliot has done a tremendous job selecting and developing guys but you aren't going to fix a couple years neglect overnight. I think he wants to stay which only means good things for this team going forward.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Wait...you mean to tell me Coaching has to do with our success? IMPOSSIBLE! Only our failures are due to coaching.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote