CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TheUniversityofSC
Gamecocks1137
markymark550
MWard
WeStill0wnUSC
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
Spurticus
Lonnie
gamecockgal
Another A&M aggi (1643)
Predict Clemson 2014 (1390)
Green and Lammons (950)
ACC Wants Helmet Com (744)
Asheville/Spartanbur (563)
2016 - Terrance Davi (420)
2016 - Anthony " (348)
It's Cover Two's bda (316)
Nashville (291)
2016 - Dontye Carrie (239)
Is it time to switch from
Green and Lammons
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
Another A&M aggie off
2014 ultimate tailgate po
Good Article for those co
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
2015 - Albert Huggins
2015 - Brandon Sandifer

Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly
Default Better position? 11-1 and second in the East or

11-1 and SEC-E champions, but lose in the championship game?

If these were the only possible outcomes, would you rather be division champ and go to a lesser bowl with a loss in the championship game, or maximize our chances of getting into a BCS bowl by finishing second in the East to UF/UGA/Mizzou but having a single loss?
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Better position? 11-1 and second in the East or

I think I would rather have a chance to win the championship than to not have one
Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

I want to see Connor Shaw in the Georgia Dome, going against Alabama.

It would be awful for my marriage (wife is a RollTider), but I think Shaw, playing at his current level, could do some serious damage against the Pachyderms.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I think 11-1 and a loss in the SECCG would still get a BCS bowl game, so I think I will go with the SECCG.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Not much of a chance we go to a BCS bowl finishing 2nd in East with A&M and LSU on the other side. I don't think most of our fans, including me, even care about winning the SEC as much as they do getting there and having a shot at it.

I went to Atlanta for the SECCG festivities in 2010 and absolutely loved it despite the outcome.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

SEC Championship game is bigger and better than any bowl, even a BCS bowlgame.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
usc51
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I think 11-1 and a loss in the SECCG would still get a BCS bowl game, so I think I will go with the SECCG.
Assuming that no other SEC team was 11-1 before the SECCG (not counting Alabama), this.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Getting to Atlanta, even if you had some crystal ball that would tell you that SC was going to lose.

When a coach like Spurrier comes to a place like SC, it is all about taking steps in the right direction. We have only been to Atlanta once. Going again, even if it is a loss, would taking steps in the right direction.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
I think I would rather have a chance to win the championship than to not have one
As would I, but assuming we went and lost, does that change your opinion?

Which means more, a division championship or a BCS bid? I would probably lean to the latter because we've never made it to a BCS game, but it would be great to reward Shaw, Clowney and some of the other upperclassmen with the SEC-CG experience even if we were to lose.

Hopefully we win out, win the East and SEC-CG, and all of this will stay hypothetical.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I care more about winning the east than going to a BCS bowl. At least we can have bragging rights in our division.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
qock
Recruit

Male

qock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spurs

We need another SEC East title. Even if we can't win the championship outright as your scenario states, it will help improve our reputation as a program if we can start consistently playing for the title.

And honestly, if we run the table and make the championship game, we'd still have a very good chance at a BCS at-large bid as long as we don't get run out of the stadium like we did last time.
qock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph/JDCock View Post
11-1 and SEC-E champions, but lose in the championship game?

If these were the only possible outcomes, would you rather be division champ and go to a lesser bowl with a loss in the championship game, or maximize our chances of getting into a BCS bowl by finishing second in the East to UF/UGA/Mizzou but having a single loss?
Gotta go with 11-1 2nd in the East since under that scenario we can still record our fewest losses ever. Now if you said 11-1 1st in the East with a chance to win the SEC or 11-1 Second in the East with a chance to go to BCS bowl depending on how the West shakes out that would be a little different.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Herbie3
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 13641
Herbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot material

13-1....Simple as that!
Herbie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
SEC Championship game is bigger and better than any bowl, even a BCS bowlgame.

Totally agree with this. I've been to the Sugar and the Orange Bowl on a few occassions and nothing matches the atmosphere at the SECCG. Nothing. The wildest sports experience of my life.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

do a search and I bet you find this thread the last 2 years...now going on 3
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Always fascinating to me that this is even a point of discussion.

You want to win the East and play for the Championship. UGA (almost) showed last year that anything is possible. We ran into a buzz saw that was one of the single greatest player performances in the history of college football last time we were there. But the goal is and should always be win the east, possibly win the SEC. In order to establish the program in the upper tier it takes Division and Conference titles. Can't get the latter w/o the former.

The "well, we'd probably lose badly to Bama/LSU/whoever" is a loser's mentality. By virtue of winning the division and playing for the SECCG you possibly get to play for a National Championship or BCS Bowl, anyway. And if for whatever reason it works out that you don't, at least our team had the shot.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
do a search and I bet you find this thread the last 2 years...now going on 3
Perhaps that's the case (really couldn't tell you), but this year may be more likely to play out according to that "script."

Two years ago made it to the midpoint of the season but knew that we were going to be a road underdog to Arkansas, and last year we had lost multiple games by mid-season.

This season, we'll very possibly be favorites each week if we keep winning unless we make it to the championship game, in which case we'd likely be an underdog to any of the teams who would come out of the West. So maybe the question isn't original, but it might be more germane this year than in years past.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

If we can win out and get to Atlanta, I like our chances versus whichever team makes it from the west. Right now, our most realistic chance at a BCS bowl is winning the SEC!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
You want to win the East and play for the Championship.

The "well, we'd probably lose badly to Bama/LSU/whoever" is a loser's mentality. By virtue of winning the division and playing for the SECCG you possibly get to play for a National Championship or BCS Bowl, anyway. And if for whatever reason it works out that you don't, at least our team had the shot.
Just to clarify... I agree wholeheartedly with you. I would MUCH rather have a shot at winning a championship than to not play for it at all.

What I am asking is, if you had the benefit of foresight and KNEW you wouldn't win the championship, would you rather be SEC-E champs and playing in the Outback Bowl or SEC-E runners-up and playing in the Sugar Bowl?

Without the benefit of foresight, I would choose the chance at a championship a hundred times out of a hundred. However, if I knew we would lose the SEC-CG, the choice becomes more difficult because I am pitting program firsts (BCS Bowl and most wins/best win percentage in a season) against something that we have already done before.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Hard call. I would be just as happy in either the SEC title game or the BCS bowl game.

The SEC matchup gives us hardware even with a loss though.