CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
rabid cock
markymark550
Goofyboy
2000grad
ZenUSC
gromweat
Well, as it turns ou (2529)
Luginbill says ECU s (2406)
What the heck is up (1908)
Next years RB situat (1713)
ECU fan here (1425)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1365)
Davis dinged up agai (1227)
Freaky Coincidence o (1103)
Defensive stand-arou (964)
Quarles is a Colt! (731)
Davis dinged up again?
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
So, Vanderbilt is next
Well, as it turns out, we
Gamecocks 247 sports
New Photos by Travis Bell
For the love of God! -- P
Robin William's fakes dea
No Gurley near the goal l
What the heck is up with

Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Mike Davis and the Heisman...

I hate even doing this to the fella but, I need to know.

I saw a nice piece on ESPN today about Mike Davis, veiwers were asked if they even knew who he was.
Long story... short, people are finding out who he is. There is talk with these last few weeks leading up to a potential SEC matchup with Mizzou and Florida on the horizon he can really make a name for himself.

I just want to pause Gamecock Nation, and ask. Wow, who would have thought it? Why is he so good, and why is he this good this early? Did the whole no one will ever be Lattimore thing affect him to the point where he said, oh really? Ill show ya. I just want to know, because this guy is reminding me more and more of George Rodgers as the yards go on. Your opinion?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mike Davis and the Heisman...

So no one has a thought? its because Tennessee is up next isnt it? lol
Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

If SC wins the SEC Davis has a pretty decent chance at the Heisman if his stats continue on their current trend.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Stay focus !!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Davis has had 5 100 yard rushing games. the one game he didnt rush for 100 yards... he had 160 total yards. We have three big games coming against mizzou, florida, and clemson. he continues on this pace of 100+ yds or even breaks out for 150+ on one of those teams... who knows
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

I think it is surprising that everyone is acting like he came out of nowhere. He was one of the highest rating running backs in the country out of high school and he had a year of playing under Lattimore on top of that.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Mike Davis and the Heisman...

I think the ducks QB gets it.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

It is absolutely no surprise that he's this good. It is expected and the "Lattimore Effect" is going to result in us having a good stable of RB's for a very, very long time.

Davis will be in Heisman talks before the year is up and most likely a front-runner at the beginning of next season. He'll have a much better opportunity to deliver than Clowney has (meaning it's easier for a RB than a DE to live up to the hype, not a jab at Clowney).
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
CockinAthens
Behind enemy lines

Male

CockyCash: 382300
CockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot material

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 0
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Last season Monte Ball had a crazy good season, but he wasn't being hyped like you know who (JM) and because of that, he didn't win it and Johnny Foolsball did.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Yearofthegamecock
Two Deep

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

I'll say, I figured he'd be a good back but I didn't foresee him putting up these stats. He's been a huge factor so far for us and I think with our remaining games, he should be in the heisman talk

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

I think it's the "Lattimore Effect" but a differeint one to which you allude. I think Lattimore worked with his teammates in the HB position to teach them some of his techniques. I have seen MD push for extra yardage and fall forward during a tackle the same way Lattimore did. I also see him reading the line and finding the holes before they open.

Of course Davis adds his own spin with the breakaway speed he seems to have honed.

That all being said, I doubt he will win the Heisman due to the fact that there are a couple of quarterbacks who are able to put up video game numbers due to weak scheduling. One of them though will be out of the conversation by the end of the season. ;)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

If SC wins the SEC then I think either Shaw or Davis will be in New York for the Heisman. Which one would depend on who was a bigger factor in SC winning the SEC for the first time. But I think SC will have to win the SEC and that is still a long ways away.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
I hate even doing this to the fella but, I need to know.

I saw a nice piece on ESPN today about Mike Davis, veiwers were asked if they even knew who he was.
Long story... short, people are finding out who he is. There is talk with these last few weeks leading up to a potential SEC matchup with Mizzou and Florida on the horizon he can really make a name for himself.

I just want to pause Gamecock Nation, and ask. Wow, who would have thought it? Why is he so good, and why is he this good this early? Did the whole no one will ever be Lattimore thing affect him to the point where he said, oh really? Ill show ya. I just want to know, because this guy is reminding me more and more of George Rodgers as the yards go on. Your opinion?
He was gonna be a good back coming out of high school no matter what team he went to. We are damn lucky to have him and I do not think he is trying to make people forget about Marcus Lattimore - he is just going out there and doing what comes natural to him. He loves to outrun or run over people. He is also benefitting from great line play this year but I remind myself that he did some fantastic running last year too.

He sort of reminds me of Mark Ingram in some ways

....Earl Campbell...
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

I think it will take a Barry Sanders like statistical year for a RB to win a Heisman with the kind of numbers QB 's have been putting up.
I got a good feeling about Davis listening to SOS 's comments this summer.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Last season Monte Ball had a crazy good season, but he wasn't being hyped like you know who (JM) and because of that, he didn't win it and Johnny Foolsball did.
Or because Manziel had a better year?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
If SC wins the SEC then I think either Shaw or Davis will be in New York for the Heisman. Which one would depend on who was a bigger factor in SC winning the SEC for the first time. But I think SC will have to win the SEC and that is still a long ways away.
Shaw is having a fantastic year, but he's not putting up enough big numbers to be seriously considered for the Heisman, I think. The most impressive thing is how he hasn't thrown an interception yet, but his yards/game don't jump out at people.

By contrast, Davis is putting up big numbers while still getting a relatively low number of carries each game (compared to some RBs in the country), so that is what is getting the attention of some people right now.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Or because Manziel had a better year?
This is where I have difficulty comparing players who play different positions. The QB literally gets to handle the ball on every offensive play (barring wildcat formations or other gimmick plays) but a player like a running back can only shine when he gets the chance every so often, so how do you decide who has a better year?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Shaw is having a fantastic year, but he's not putting up enough big numbers to be seriously considered for the Heisman, I think. The most impressive thing is how he hasn't thrown an interception yet, but his yards/game don't jump out at people.

By contrast, Davis is putting up big numbers while still getting a relatively low number of carries each game (compared to some RBs in the country), so that is what is getting the attention of some people right now.
I agree at this point of the season. But there are still 7 games that would have to be won for SC to win the SEC.

I still say that if SC wins the SEC then either Davis or Shaw will be in New York (may not win it) and it will depend on which one had a larger role in getting us to that point.

The Heisman is about more than just stats. That is why you never see someone from a bad team win it. SC winning the SEC would be overcoming a century of being a laughing stock of college football. If SC wins the SEC, someone from our team will be in New York and those are the two likely candidates.

If SC had beaten Auburn in 2010, Lattimore would have been in New York. He probably wouldn't have won it, but he would have most likely been in New York (see link below)

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insid...ory?id=5805158
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

I've noticed a difference in his running style from when he first played here to this season. I feel like Lattimore had an effect on him - his pad level is excellent, he stays square to the line, he lets his blocks develop, and he runs through instead of around tackles... all things that made Lattimore Lattimore. The only thing Mike doesn't yet have that Marcus has is that uncanny ability to command time to stand still and make a defender look silly with his cut backs.