CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
Latti
Travelin
B-G
kingofnerf
Gamecocks1137
usc1
Decommitment from Te (1483)
Cleveland Browns Hea (917)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Former Gamecock root (538)
Four USC Basketball (475)
Props to Eric Hyman. (398)
2014 Subway Classic: (353)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (288)
Bowl packages (272)
5 apps to turn your (236)
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
My early Monday dinner .
Why do so many of you guy
Former Gamecock rooting f
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
looks like we have 2 OL r
Franks boy's are playing
Decommitment from Texas A
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Cleveland Browns Headshot

Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default My thoughts on Saturdays matchup.

Make no doubt about it, The Tennessee game is not going to be anything remotely close to the ARKY game. If we are to come out of Tenn with a W, we're going to have to play twice as good as we did against the hogs. Butch needs the signature win and he will have his guys ready for action.

Our squad has to remain calm and make the plays. We can't afford any back to back 3 and outs. We must score early and keep applying the pressure. I'm usually all for seeing Thompson getting playing time but I want senior leadership at the QB position in Knoxville. We almost came up short last year but thanks to Clowney, it didn't happen. Mike Davis must run like a bat out of hell and seek revenge for Lattimore. Byrd & Ellington must catch everything thrown at them. (not that they've had any problems with it) I don't see Clowney getting double or triple teamed much with Ja'Wuan wanting ever bit of him. Hopefully everyone else on the line can find a way to be disruptive. Linebackers & Safeties must not second guess their instincts & let a play unfold in front of them. Special teams should be okay. They haven't hurt us that much this year as it seems. I think we've just missed the torque of Ace Sanders receiving punts.

If we play with little to no penalties, keep Tenn defense on the field while managing the clock and no 2nd half hiccups. I think our boys will come home with a 6-1 record and a dangerously motivated team headed into little Columbia the following week.

Go Cocky!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: My thoughts on Saturdays matchup.

We need to build on last week and not take a step back if we want to come out of Knoxville with a win.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Make no doubt about it, The Tennessee game is not going to be anything remotely close to the ARKY game. If we are to come out of Tenn with a W, we're going to have to play twice as good as we did against the hogs. Butch needs the signature win and he will have his guys ready for action.

Our squad has to remain calm and make the plays. We can't afford any back to back 3 and outs. We must score early and keep applying the pressure. I'm usually all for seeing Thompson getting playing time but I want senior leadership at the QB position in Knoxville. We almost came up short last year but thanks to Clowney, it didn't happen. Mike Davis must run like a bat out of hell and seek revenge for Lattimore. Byrd & Ellington must catch everything thrown at them. (not that they've had any problems with it) I don't see Clowney getting double or triple teamed much with Ja'Wuan wanting ever bit of him. Hopefully everyone else on the line can find a way to be disruptive. Linebackers & Safeties must not second guess their instincts & let a play unfold in front of them. Special teams should be okay. They haven't hurt us that much this year as it seems. I think we've just missed the torque of Ace Sanders receiving punts.

If we play with little to no penalties, keep Tenn defense on the field while managing the clock and no 2nd half hiccups. I think our boys will come home with a 6-1 record and a dangerously motivated team headed into little Columbia the following week.

Go Cocky!
I get where you are coming from but you do realize that's not really possible. Besides a few plays that the O & D messed up on, there really isn't much room for a ton of improvement.
I'm willing to say that unless we are -2 or more in the turnover battle, they won't beat us.
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

UTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot material

Not that it will help that much, but we get Marlin Lane and Trevarris Saulsberry back this week.

Lane is a much better up-the-gut runner than Neal and Saulsberry was easily our best DT before he went down. Devrin Young will also be eased back into ST and WR this week.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVOLS View Post
Not that it will help that much, but we get Marlin Lane and Trevarris Saulsberry back this week.

Lane is a much better up-the-gut runner than Neal and Saulsberry was easily our best DT before he went down. Devrin Young will also be eased back into ST and WR this week.
the game is a toss up. Could go either way!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
the game is a toss up. Could go either way!
Why are you so convinced that Tennessee is such a good team? Is it because they played a decimated UGA team down to the wire? They are like 80th in the country in total defense and almost lost to South Alabama on their home field. Carolina could lose if they go out and shit the bed on Saturday. This game should not be a "toss up" considering we are better and deeper than them at almost every position on the field. Being a 7.5 to 8 point favorite on the road is not a toss up. Could we lose? Yes, but if Carolina plays the same game they played against Arkansas they will run the Vols off the field.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
Why are you so convinced that Tennessee is such a good team? Is it because they played a decimated UGA team down to the wire? They are like 80th in the country in total defense and almost lost to South Alabama on their home field. Carolina could lose if they go out and shit the bed on Saturday. This game should not be a "toss up" considering we are better and deeper than them at almost every position on the field. Being a 7.5 to 8 point favorite on the road is not a toss up. Could we lose? Yes, but if Carolina plays the same game they played against Arkansas they will run the Vols off the field.
Check the OP.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Go Cocky!
If we play like we played at arkie we will kill ut, no turnovers, create turnovers and keep the defense on its heels we will crush ut.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Check the OP.
I get it. We have to play the perfect football game to beat a team with Justin Worley at QB. A team that is 3-3 and reminds me of the current Denver Broncos team.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
I get it. We have to play the perfect football game to beat a team with Justin Worley at QB. A team that is 3-3 and reminds me of the current Denver Broncos team.
Denver is 6-0, so I can understand that statement to a degree.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Go Cocky!
Not buying it. No disrespect to your opinion, but not buying it.

Spurrier said after the game that our game against Arkansas was the best we have played all season. He didn't just say it was our biggest margin of victory, he said it was the best we played all season.

If we play exactly the way we did this past Saturday, we beat Tenn. It may not be 52-7, but we win. You are saying that if we play like we did last Saturday, we lose?

That makes no sense. You are basically saying that if a Top 10 team (us) plays well (every team has mistakes.. we did play "well") they are going to get beat by a team that isn't even sniffing the top 25??

Our team is a lot better than some of you seem to want to think. Can we lose to Tenn? ABSOLUTELY!!! But not if we play "well" like we did against Arkansas.

There is no chance that we go into Tennesse and play as well as we did vs Arkansas and come out with a loss.

There are only a handful of teams in the country that could beat us on a day that we played with our A or B game. And one of those is NOT Tennessee.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post

Spurrier said after the game that our game against Arkansas was the best we have played all season. He didn't just say it was our biggest margin of victory, he said it was the best we played all season.

If we play exactly the way we did this past Saturday, we beat Tenn. It may not be 52-7, but we win. You are saying that if we play like we did last Saturday, we lose?

That makes no sense. You are basically saying that if a Top 10 team (us) plays well (every team has mistakes.. we did play "well") they are going to get beat by a team that isn't even sniffing the top 25??

Our team is a lot better than some of you seem to want to think. Can we lose to Tenn? ABSOLUTELY!!! But not if we play "well" like we did against Arkansas.

There is no chance that we go into Tennesse and play as well as we did vs Arkansas and come out with a loss.

There are only a handful of teams in the country that could beat us on a day that we played with our A or B game. And one of those is NOT Tennessee.
If we play like we did last week we are going to stomp a mud hole in their ass.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post

All I said is we have to play better then we did last week. That's what were suppose to do, it's called progress. Something you want to do as the season goes on. You took that and discredited everything else I said. By the way I want to remind everybody that yesterday was Columbus Day, that all those of you that know Italians and like Italians or that might venture onto a ship and travel to explore and find new lands, yesterday was your day.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
All I said is we have to play better then we did last week. That's what were suppose to do, it's called progress. Something you want to do as the season goes on. You took that and discredited everything else I said.
Carolina4Life, I was only going off of what you posted. Here is exactly what you said...

"If we are to come out of Tenn with a W, we're going to have to play twice as good as we did against the hogs."

So tell me how I got it wrong. This very clearly says that if we play like we did last week, we will lose. I don't see how anyone can take this any other way.

If you are simply saying that we need to get better each week, then I agree with you. But that isn't what you said originally and that is what I was responding to.

If I got it wrong, I apologize. I do think we need to get better each week. But I don't think we need to get better in regards to if we will beat Tenn or not.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
All I said is we have to play better then we did last week. That's what were suppose to do, it's called progress. Something you want to do as the season goes on. You took that and discredited everything else I said. By the way I want to remind everybody that yesterday was Columbus Day, that all those of you that know Italians and like Italians or that might venture onto a ship and travel to explore and find new lands, yesterday was your day.

We don't have to play better. Just don't play worse. If we play like we did last Saturday, this game will be a comfortable win just like last week was.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Y'all misunderstanding me. I think we win but Arkansas is not Tennessee. Two different teams, two different stadiums. Don't think the vols fans will quiet down like the hogs did when we get ahead. Don't forget what we did against VANDY in the second half. Don't let the Tenn team that played UGA show up. Let me sum this up without my statements getting blown out of proportion again. Every week is different, you should always strive to play better then your last game. We aren't playing the same team. That's all I'm saying
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayinNPlayin View Post
That is what he said to anyone with an ounce of reading comprehension that doesn't have some bizarre need to interject into everything to be the winner of an argument they start.
He was respectful unlike yourself, several disagreed with the statement, a statement about USC on a forum to discuss USC so we are discussing it. We would be hard pressed to play twice as good as last week, so to say we have to play that good to get a win is a little overboard and gives ut a little to much credit IMO
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
SpurProsecutor
Banned

Male

SpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
We don't have to play better. Just don't play worse. If we play like we did last Saturday, this game will be a comfortable win just like last week was.
I will even take this statement one step further and say that if the Carolina offense alone plays like they did against Arky we win this game and cover the spread ... the Carolina D could have a mediocre game (give up some big running plays and some 3rd and longs, fail to consistently pressure Worley) and Carolina should still win comfortably due to our offense. Clock control, a balanced attack, and Davis, Shaw, Roland, Byrd, et al. playing to their standards and we win this game by a couple of scores.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Y'all misunderstanding me. I think we win but Arkansas is not Tennessee. Two different teams, two different stadiums. Don't think the vols fans will quiet down like the hogs did when we get ahead. Don't forget what we did against VANDY in the second half. Don't let the Tenn team that played UGA show up. Let me sum this up without my statements getting blown out of proportion again. Every week is different, you should always strive to play better then your last game. We aren't playing the same team. That's all I'm saying
Thanks for helping to clarify. The sentence that was throwing everyone off was this one...

"If we are to come out of Tenn with a W, we're going to have to play twice as good as we did against the hogs".

This is why I think some of us misunderstood your thoughts. This sentence reads as if you think we will lose to Tenn if we play like we did against Arkansas.

So sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

My betting site says we are favored by 7 currently. With a predicted score of 30.5-23.5 in our favor. They aren't always right of course but more times than not they are close. So basically vegas is thinking we will come back to normal on D and give up 17-24 points, but we should also score 28-35 points. It's hard to argue with that. I'm hoping our D can hold them to 10-17 points while we score 28-38.
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote