CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
3MTA3
rosstheboss
bigdog2003
spareparts
Spurticus
Gyle41386
i29gman
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (4230)
Cunningham wants to (1062)
ESPN article on Clow (612)
Clemson Georgia Game (607)
Horseshoes has been (430)
Fumble party (336)
1964 World’s Fair (226)
New Led Zep releases (123)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (119)
Truly Inspiring (92)
2015 - Davon Durant
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Kaleb Kim
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB
ESPN article on Clowney -
Lattimore's return. An ar
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Name a Gamecock
2016 - Issac Nauta
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle

Old 10-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster
Default iphone5 or android phone ?

Time for new phone. Looking at iPhone5 or Galaxy note3, perhaps. Never owned any Apple products. Which should I get and why? Thx, J
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 200
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Re: iphone5 or android phone ?

crapple is overpriced and has underwhelmed with their last few devices, whereas android especially Samsung stuff is getting better and better
Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

You should visit iCocky.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
DabosWeenie
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
DabosWeenie has hatched from the shell

Iphones are the most played out, and ever-increasing worthless phones on the market. Built for and sold to sheep
DabosWeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

The iPhone is a perfectly good smartphone. Asking this question is like asking if you should get a ford or Chevy; or Playstation or Xbox. People have their bias, best thing is to go to a store play with their demo phones to see which one you like best.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabosWeenie View Post
Iphones are the most played out, and ever-increasing worthless phones on the market. Built for and sold to sheep
You know I compare the specs to the android phones and the android phones seem to have more stuff. The best argument anyone has told me is that all the apps are made for iPhones and work better with iPhones, although, I don't know this to be true. Also, there is the rumor that Apple products can't be infested with a virus...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
DabosWeenie
Walk On

Male

Apples can get viruses, just the same as androids. As for Apps, some are android exclusive, some of apple exclusive, some are on both. REGARDLESS, if there is an app you like on apple, and android doesn't have the exact same one (or vice versa), you can find pretty much the same thing, just under a different name.

The funniest thing to me, is that with the latest iphone update they are pretty much turning their phone into an android.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731774588
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

if you are the kind of person who wants to "tinker" on stuff to make it work better for you, go with the android, if you want to turn it on and it just work (and not be able to "tinker" with it) go with the iPhone
Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

The iphone is a great phone. Android makes some great phones. And there are some crap android phones out there.

iphone is a more controlled experience. All apps have to be approved by Apple. This is good and bad. It limits some of the features that the apps can provide. But it also weeds out a lot of crappy apps that could crash your phone.

Android is an open platform. And devloper and hardware maker can do whatever they want with Android. Which is good and bad. It leads to more inovative apps, but it also leads to a lot more crappy stuff too. It's your job to sift through the good and bad.

In the end it comes down to personal preference. Go try out several phones and see what you like best.

These blanket 'fanboy' statements like
Quote:
iphones are the most played out, and ever-increasing worthless phones on the market. Built for and sold to sheep
or "Android sucks" are pointless and flat out wrong.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

wife has the iphone and I have the Samsung S4. I really don't see a huge difference in functionality. Mine does pretty much anything that hers does. I'm not a big fan of apple while she is. I do love that my screen size is almost twice what hers is. But in the end I only really use the golflogix app, the rest of the time is just calling/text.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

The ONLY thing the iPhone5s has is a very fast processor. Other than that, you are paying for braind name recognition.

The iPhone5c is not good. There is a reason Apple is slashing the price...it ain't selling.

Android phones...I like the Motorola Droid...they have dual core processors

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

You can also root an android phone. If you jailbreak an apple phone, you might be out of luck

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
uscfsu23
Blue Chip

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

Just picked up a note 3 and it is amazing!!! Quad core processor screams, screen looks amazing, camera is solid. 5 stars!
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
You know I compare the specs to the android phones and the android phones seem to have more stuff. The best argument anyone has told me is that all the apps are made for iPhones and work better with iPhones, although, I don't know this to be true. Also, there is the rumor that Apple products can't be infested with a virus...
wouldnt say cant...its just very less likely.....VERY VERY less likely

i have all apple stuff so i have an iphone5, i like it alot, had a friend just convert from android to iphone and he has been really happy with the switch
Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
You can also root an android phone. If you jailbreak an apple phone, you might be out of luck
Out of luck? not sure what you mean?

Jailbreaking just means you can get apps from other sources then the apple app store. It's really not that hard.

I did it for an early generation Ipod Touch. But have yet to come across a need or desire to root my iphone.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

I switched from Apple to Android and will never go back to apple.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #17
DabosWeenie
Walk On

Male

It's pretty much a consensus here (minus one guy)....ANDROID
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #18
dumpyloser
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 994
dumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
if you are the kind of person who wants to "tinker" on stuff to make it work better for you, go with the android, if you want to turn it on and it just work (and not be able to "tinker" with it) go with the iPhone
This! Not that it carries much weight but I used to work for Verizon. This is almost exactly what I told my customers. Apple will "just work" 99/100 times while android has more possibilities and is more of an open ended phone.

The things you need to think about are phone size, screen size, and expandable memory.

I would personally have the note 3.

One more thing and this may be too much to think abt in this thread buy over a 6-8 month period most android devices are going to begin to bog down if used heavily. Wiping caches and resetting this phone bring you back to that fast out of the box fast feel. My DNA w quad core 1.5 ghz processors needed a good ole reset. Now I feel like I have a new phone.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

I prefer Android.

I pretty much agree with CNET's current list for Verizon (my carrier) . Take a good long look at the S4 and Note 3.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-verizon-wireless-phones/
Halltj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

Yeah, I'm going with the Note 3. Now, I just want to figure out if I want to pay full price for it, or just get in a new 2 year contract.