CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
cocks are us
Ericvol2096
robgusc76
El Cid Ranger
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2350)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (998)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (879)
Herbstreit on " (859)
Little know stat (We (829)
SEC QB's in the Red (821)
Gamecockology Helms (792)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (663)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (459)
Where do you like to (379)
Tennessee - South Carolin
This season and recruitin
Where do you like to sit
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
Little know stat (Week 10
Herbstreit on "SEC B
Sports no longer fun?
SEC QB's in the Red Zone
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr

Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Tenn Radio Cov

Had to listen to the game on XM radio and it was the Tenn broadcast. Not as biased as you would expect but they had interesting perspective on the team.

Offense - Went over how predictable the team was. Said everytime the FB came in the ran Davis and the defense crashed. Kept waiting for play action but never happened. Completely confused with end of half and end of game playcalling. Wondered why Spurrier kept sending in audibles with 9 seconds or less on the play clock.

Loved Mike Davis. Said he was a star and people needed to take notice.

Said WR had consistent issues with catching the ball and their size let the defenders jam them and they couldn't get any separation.

Oline is big but slow. Said Tenn coaches went to smaller dlinemen and just ran around them.

Defense - Raved about the dline.

Couldn't understand why Tenn coaches didn't run more counters and misdirection as defense was so aggressive they overcommit.

Thought DBs played too soft.

Special Teams - Nothing positive here at all. Said punting was terrible, return game was nothing to worry about and said FG kicking was accurate but no leg for distance. Repeatedly said this was the difference in the game.

They were just in shock the Vols were been in the game. Said they lacked talent but outcoached the Gamecocks.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0
Default Re: Tenn Radio Cov

Hard to argue with any of that.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
They were just in shock the Vols were been in the game. Said they lacked talent but outcoached the Gamecocks.
Good overall description, but this alone could have pretty much summed up this game.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Good points on our wide outs and makes sense that Byrd was the only consistently open wr. They jam the smaller guys but have to respect his speed.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1072
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Very spot on right there. And they're not even coaches and they can see the deficiencies.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Had to listen to the game on XM radio and it was the Tenn broadcast. Not as biased as you would expect but they had interesting perspective on the team. Said they lacked talent but outcoached the Gamecocks.
Wow...nailed it. Thanks!
Quote:
Offense - Went over how predictable the team was. Said everytime the FB came in the ran Davis and the defense crashed.
And we still have people hating on the zone offense out of the gun...we load the backfield and teams load the box and blitz the LBs to jam the play.
Quote:
Couldn't understand why Tenn coaches didn't run more counters and misdirection as defense was so aggressive they overcommit.
Their counters and misdirections were getting smacked once our D made the adjustments. They were doing some kind of trap or pull and our DL starting figuring it out. That was one of the positives from this game.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Wow...nailed it. Thanks!

And we still have people hating on the zone offense out of the gun...we load the backfield and teams load the box and blitz the LBs to jam the play.
Their counters and misdirections were getting smacked once our D made the adjustments. They were doing some kind of trap or pull and our DL starting figuring it out. That was one of the positives from this game.
So would you say we were out coached or ill prepared or both? It appeared to me often thorughout the game that our coaching staff didn't expect a loud an hostile crowd. Trouble and delays getting the plays in was very frustrating. I think they scouted us very well and the UT D, expecially the backs were solid.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
I think they scouted us very well and the UT D, expecially the backs were solid.
Yes....they had a good game plan on D...and they have good athletes on their DL.
We do get predictable....and we get into these games where our play calling just gets sideways and goes wierd.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
rubber
4-Star

Male

rubber has hatched from the shell

Excellent analysis.
rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
poppabeary3
Blue Chip

Male

poppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his comb

Quote:
Wow...nailed it. Thanks!

what he was saying was that we NEVER threw out of the I and were so predictable (hence why they questioned never running a play action). The zone read is awful and if we went to a pro style offense...hint hint...we would be much better on offense. Of course, its the balanced power run, play action, drop back passing type offense. Not the pass, pass, run around, pass, call a run then call a TO, pass, pass, type offense we run when we're behind.

Last edited by GregoryHouse; 10-20-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Don't resort to namecalling
poppabeary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabeary3 View Post
what he was saying was that we NEVER threw out of the I and were so predictable (hence why they questioned never running a play action). The zone read is awful and if we went to a pro style offense...hint hint...we would be much better on offense. Of course, its the balanced power run, play action, drop back passing type offense. Not the pass, pass, run around, pass, call a run then call a TO, pass, pass, type offense we run when we're behind.
Not sure you or others that keep suggesting we run out of the I really understand what you're implying. There is a reason the I got replaced by the spread type formations in both college and the NFL. Sure it shows up every now and then, but the fact is it allows a defense to bunch up their players into a smaller space and most of the time then can just jam plays for no gain. It does help with pass blocking since you have more protection.
You do realize that Wisconsin ran lots of I last year? Bret Bilema? Coaches which team now?

Go look at the top CFB teams...right now there are 3....Bama, FSU and O. How many run spreads? How many run zone plays? How many use zone blocking? How many NFL teams use zone plays and zone blocking? I clearly remember seeing Bama run a basic inside zone play in the NC game back in Jan.
How many NFL teams have their QBs under center? How many use just a single back formation out of the gun?
There is a reason for all of this....
Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
DTGCOCKS#32
Recruit

Male

DTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Not sure you or others that keep suggesting we run out of the I really understand what you're implying. There is a reason the I got replaced by the spread type formations in both college and the NFL. Sure it shows up every now and then, but the fact is it allows a defense to bunch up their players into a smaller space and most of the time then can just jam plays for no gain. It does help with pass blocking since you have more protection.
You do realize that Wisconsin ran lots of I last year? Bret Bilema? Coaches which team now?

Go look at the top CFB teams...right now there are 3....Bama, FSU and O. How many run spreads? How many run zone plays? How many use zone blocking? How many NFL teams use zone plays and zone blocking? I clearly remember seeing Bama run a basic inside zone play in the NC game back in Jan.
How many NFL teams have their QBs under center? How many use just a single back formation out of the gun?
There is a reason for all of this....
Not trying to be a smart a** but have u payed attention to how Georgia call plays and runs their offense. They line up under center a good portion of the time with a TE and a RB and can either run the ball behind the te or play action off of it and throw the ball over the middle which is what play action exploits. they did that to us several times.

Also he was not saying never run out of the shotgun which can be helpful at times but when u said Alabama ran the simple zone run the NC game, yes they may have but about 80% of their run plays come with their QB under center. a balanced attack with both plays under center as well out of shotgun worked best because u keep the defense guessing. when u run out of the same formation all the time a good Defensive Coordinator can game plan against it.

i have a simple suggestion in which i personally think would work wonders for our offense. since we have 2 really good athletic TE's i think we should line up in a lot of two TE sets. Our TE's are easily athletic enough where we can motion them out as slot receivers and go from a power run look to spread look very quickly and effectively. this also would alleviate the problem of having no big physical receivers that can get jammed easily as both Anderson and Adams run like wide receivers. or they could simply stay in and block on running plays. it would also help with the problem of every time we have a fb in the game as an extra blocker they load the box because when they do that with the two big te's you would simply motion them out or call a play action play over the middle.
DTGCOCKS#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGCOCKS#32 View Post
Not trying to be a smart a** but have u payed attention to how Georgia call plays and runs their offense. They line up under center a good portion of the time with a TE and a RB and can either run the ball behind the te or play action off of it and throw the ball over the middle which is what play action exploits. they did that to us several times.

Also he was not saying never run out of the shotgun which can be helpful at times but when u said Alabama ran the simple zone run the NC game, yes they may have but about 80% of their run plays come with their QB under center. a balanced attack with both plays under center as well out of shotgun worked best because u keep the defense guessing. when u run out of the same formation all the time a good Defensive Coordinator can game plan against it.

i have a simple suggestion in which i personally think would work wonders for our offense. since we have 2 really good athletic TE's i think we should line up in a lot of two TE sets. Our TE's are easily athletic enough where we can motion them out as slot receivers and go from a power run look to spread look very quickly and effectively. this also would alleviate the problem of having no big physical receivers that can get jammed easily as both Anderson and Adams run like wide receivers. or they could simply stay in and block on running plays. it would also help with the problem of every time we have a fb in the game as an extra blocker they load the box because when they do that with the two big te's you would simply motion them out or call a play action play over the middle.
This is what I was responding to:
Quote:
poppabeary3:The zone read is awful and if we went to a pro style offense...hint hint
It's not awful (ask Mike Davis) and not so sure why you think UGA's offense is better than ours....we did beat them 3x prior to this year...primarily with those zone plays w/Marcus.
Not sure if you've noticed the various formations we run...and we do not run that much single back, but the 3 plays we got TDs on yesterday were single back plays...one with Connor under center.
We are good at the zone plays and have won lots of games with it. Our offense came alive in the 3rd qtr yesterday when we went to the spread plays.

And when we lose a game, the first thing people start doing is trying to fix everything and calling people idiots, while in fact some of it isn't broke or cannot be fixed by changing offenses.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
McLovin
Recruit

Male

McLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to McLovin

Quote:

That's the point of the zone read/option thing. We have 2 backs beside Connor a lot when he's in the shotgun or pistol, you just have to be able to read the d correctly. Just like pro type formations or whatever formation you want, if you can't execute it right it won't be effective. I'm not sure that going from zone read plays, to double tight end 3 yards and a cloud of dust plays will work too well.

Oh and Mike Bobo is about the most boring play caller in the country and hasn't changed his offensive philosophy since he was in high school probably.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
DTGCOCKS#32
Recruit

Male

DTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his claws
Default Tenn Radio Cov

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
That's the point of the zone read/option thing. We have 2 backs beside Connor a lot when he's in the shotgun or pistol, you just have to be able to read the d correctly. Just like pro type formations or whatever formation you want, if you can't execute it right it won't be effective. I'm not sure that going from zone read plays, to double tight end 3 yards and a cloud of dust plays will work too well.

Oh and Mike Bobo is about the most boring play caller in the country and hasn't changed his offensive philosophy since he was in high school probably.
Georgia when healthy is one of, if not the most dynamic offense in cfb. When there running backs are healthy as well as there wideouts it showed that they are really hard to stop. I'm not saying the zone read can't be effective. I just hate it when it's 3rd and 2 and we hand the ball off with out qb 6 yds off the line of scrimmage instead of the running back taking the hand off already moving forward. The main reason that I suggested the two te set was to help with people always loading the box when we have the extra blocker in the fb in the game. That's why I love having an athletic te is they can be used in such different ways.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
DTGCOCKS#32
Recruit

Male

Default Tenn Radio Cov

Quote:
This is what I was responding to:
It's not awful (ask Mike Davis) and not so sure why you think UGA's offense is better than ours....we did beat them 3x prior to this year...primarily with those zone plays w/Marcus.
Not sure if you've noticed the various formations we run...and we do not run that much single back, but the 3 plays we got TDs on yesterday were single back plays...one with Connor under center.
We are good at the zone plays and have won lots of games with it. Our offense came alive in the 3rd qtr yesterday when we went to the spread plays.

And when we lose a game, the first thing people start doing is trying to fix everything and calling people idiots, while in fact some of it isn't broke or cannot be fixed by changing offenses.
I'm not sayin we need to completely change our play calling as we have been a pretty dang good offense for most of the year. I just think we need to take full advantage of the playmakers we have a the te spot. That's part of being a great coach is putting the 11 best players on the field and both of the te's are defintley nfl type players and it would be foolish not to take advantage of that type of talent in addition to the plays that we already run
Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
McLovin
Recruit

Male

McLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his combMcLovin is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to McLovin

Quote:
Georgia when healthy is one of, if not the most dynamic offense in cfb. When there running backs are healthy as well as there wideouts it showed that they are really hard to stop. I'm not saying the zone read can't be effective. I just hate it when it's 3rd and 2 and we hand the ball off with out qb 6 yds off the line of scrimmage instead of the running back taking the hand off already moving forward. The main reason that I suggested the two te set was to help with people always loading the box when we have the extra blocker in the fb in the game. That's why I love having an athletic te is they can be used in such different ways.

Yeah I get that but when your QB is off the line the entire game except when its 3rd and short you're basically telling the other team what you're doing. I don't know though I would just let them coaches work on it, because they definitely see the same stuff we do.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
DTGCOCKS#32
Recruit

Male

Default Tenn Radio Cov

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Yeah I get that but when your QB is off the line the entire game except when its 3rd and short you're basically telling the other team what you're doing. I don't know though I would just let them coaches work on it, because they definitely see the same stuff we do.
But see that is the beauty of the two te set with the two big athletic te.'s is because there a very large possibility of play calling options. An I'm not saying just run it on 3rd and short. And I'm not saying never run the zone read on 3rd and short. I'm just saying we need to diversify the way in which we call plays to create more mismatches and keep the defense from knowing what we are gonna do.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Rubicon
Walk On

Male

Rubicon has feathers coming inRubicon has feathers coming inRubicon has feathers coming in

Speaking from personal experience...being close to SOS's age...people get more conservative as they age. Less willing to take chances and less confident in your own abilities that is (probably) spread to the team. SOS is not the same coach he was in his Florida days...although I think he is the best thing that ever happened to the Gamecocks. Things he says here and there...like feeling badly for Arkansas...is something I doubt he would have said 20 years ago. When a person gets so old...they are not going to change...they can't go back to being the brash confident and effective play caller they once were. That's not to say he doesn't call good plays. I would think there is some concern he has for some player's abilities...but IMHO the team is being held back in the risk/reward thingy.

After watching the Seminoles last night it is apparent that we are far away from that level of play and, to a significant degree, players. I do think we are more capable than we were yesterday. I think he will retire soon...it is the prudent thing to do when a team is so inconsistent and coming up short in other areas...like special teams...after all these years. A good punter could have saved the victory yesterday...how hard can getting a great punter be? The special teams coach seems to have fallen off the radar as I haven't seen him in an interview this whole year...and now the linebackers coach. Makes me wonder.

I certainly don't have a solution...but I fear what may happen if SOS should retire. Just my two cents worth.
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I've heard the UT guys before... They are pretty good...
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote