CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
Latti
Travelin
B-G
kingofnerf
Gamecocks1137
usc1
Decommitment from Te (1483)
Cleveland Browns Hea (917)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Former Gamecock root (538)
Four USC Basketball (475)
Props to Eric Hyman. (398)
2014 Subway Classic: (353)
Bowl packages (272)
5 apps to turn your (236)
Franks boy's are pla (210)
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
So, why is next year goin
The Vent and Coaching cha
My early Monday dinner .
Why do so many of you guy
Former Gamecock rooting f
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
looks like we have 2 OL r
Franks boy's are playing
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
theoSCARfan89
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
theoSCARfan89 has hatched from the shell
Default Honesty time, do y'all feel like the Defense is improving?

From game 1 to where we are now, do you feel like the D as a whole as improved? Who has been the biggest disappointment so far? Who has been the biggest surprise?

For me, I "feel" like the D is starting to play better. I can't stand AT ALL how many stinking 1 on 1 tackles at the LOS that we seem to miss. If our guys are flying in there to make a 1 on 1 tackle at the line or in space, I pretty much start looking for the next guy around who can make the tackle that we are going to miss. Is there a stat counted for missed tackles?

Biggest disappointment for me so far this season would probably be Chaz Sutton honestly, I really expected to hear his name called the most/2nd most on the D line...not to say he's overall played badly, I just expected more. Close seconds would be Marquic Roberts/Kaiwan Lewis...seems like they're always shooting the wrong gaps.

Biggest surprise for me would be true freshman Skai Moore. He usually seems to be in good position and I just like his attitude. He gives a really good/intelligent presser. Hoping that this kid turns out to be a special one for us.
theoSCARfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Re: Honesty time, do y'all feel like the Defense is improving?

biggest disappointment...the lack of creativity in utilizing the best DE ever at SC or in the SEC...absolute bland, vanilla RE all day.

Lack of consistent impact style playmaking from aDL unit that was so highly touted pre-season has been average to mediocre. I'm FAR more impressed with Mizzou's DL than our own and that is SAD.
Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Absolutely getting better.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

I think Arky and UT offense were bad. This might be the biggest test of the year for the defense and will let us know if the improvement we've seen is real or just looks better because of opponents.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
biggest disappointment...the lack of creativity in utilizing the best DE ever at SC or in the SEC...absolute bland, vanilla RE all day.

Lack of consistent impact style playmaking from aDL unit that was so highly touted pre-season has been average to mediocre. I'm FAR more impressed with Mizzou's DL than our own and that is SAD.

Nothing in this post answers the questino of this thread

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
TigerKiller88
Banned

Male

TigerKiller88 has hatched from the shell

The defense has absolutely improved leaps and bounds since the Kentucky game. The defense was dominant against Arkansas, and they played very well against Tennessee considering how much they were on the field, especially in the second half. The defense almost won us the game too, if it weren't for an incredible catch with absolutely perfect coverage. That defense was the only thing keeping us in the game when the offense was sputtering.
TigerKiller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I think they're improving, yes. Do I think they're great yet? Not yet.

The first few games you saw a lot of guys wiffing on 1 on 1 tackles out in the open. The past few games you've seen those guys get a hit on the ball career and then 1-2 others coming over to finish the play off, flying to the ball. In recent years, we always had 2-3-4 guys around the play. Early in the season it was just green grass.

I think they're imrpoving, but still have a ways to go.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I think they are improving some... Each game we have played a good QB(uga and ucf), we got torched. At least at UCF we forced some turnovers that helped us win.

I still feel like the next good QB we will play will torch us again.

I'm the same as the OP. biggest dissappointment is Suttton. He can't get off a man to man block against a single OT in the SEC. Also Kaiwan and the safety(excluding Elder) and spurs.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Definitely getting better, not perfect by any stretch, but better.

And I agree with the guy who said we aren't creative enough with Clowney. He still affects games and what not but people know how to gameplan for him. He's in the same spot every play doing the same thing.

Also Sutton is a lot better pass rusher when he rushes inside. We don't utilize that strength enough.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999880
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKiller88 View Post
The defense has absolutely improved leaps and bounds since the Kentucky game. The defense was dominant against Arkansas, and they played very well against Tennessee considering how much they were on the field, especially in the second half. The defense almost won us the game too, if it weren't for an incredible catch with absolutely perfect coverage. That defense was the only thing keeping us in the game when the offense was sputtering.
agreed. And I think we are also starting to see the LBs step up as leaders on the field. Saw a few times were the MLB directed the DL to make adjustments at the line, and they seemed to pay off. Also no long runs for Tenn like Arky had. They only averaged 3.6 on the ground.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
GamecockinBoulder
Recruit

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: 2nd place in 2007 Bowl Pickem 
GamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Absolutely getting better.
this!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think so. If we don't get shredded this week, it will go a long way towards convincing me.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Yes. The defense did more than enough to win the game against Tennessee. If our offense had been even half as efficient as it had been all year prior, and if we had limited the special teams miscues that keep biting us, we could have blown them out. As it was, we consistently put the D in terrible jams and they consistently wiggled out of them until the very end of the game.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

IMO you can't help but improve in terms of the younger players gaining experience....also, it's typically a two-way street: the coaches have been learning some things about their young players, their strengths and weaknesses, and how to better position them to perform better.

USC has played the 2 worst passing offenses and offenses that have some big time struggles in their past 2 weeks. Our defense played stellar in the first, and decent in the second. Those 2 games were played on their home fields, so I'm sure that goes into bolstering their efforts. Our offense shut down in the 4th quarter versus UT needing some 1st downs if not some more points up 21-17, and our defense allowed the Vols to drive on two possessions of 60+ yds to kick 2 FGs and take the lead, and ultimately win the game. This includes a 39-yd pass completion on 3rd and 10 that broke our backs...

Missouri has a much better offense than either Arkansas or Tennessee. A huge test to how much our defense has learned will come this weekend...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
theoSCARfan89
Walk On

Male

theoSCARfan89 has hatched from the shell

Surprises? Disappointments? in players specifically....we can all sit on here and tally a long list of coaching frustration.
theoSCARfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I think it's getting better. But UT and Arkansas were kind of similar on offense. We just stacked the box against both to stop the run. We'll find out how good they really are this weekend and when that team in the upstate comes to town.

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I think they are getting better each week, but they haven't gotten to the level that we have come to expect from Carolina D over the past couple years. Just hope they can do enough to win this last road game. If we can get a real good showing from them on the road against a very good Missouri offense, then I could see them really start to click when they get back to Willie B to close out the season with that four game home stretch.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

CockyCash: 200
35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Also Sutton is a lot better pass rusher when he rushes inside. We don't utilize that strength enough.
This is actually a huge problem for our unit as a whole. The fact that Sutton is more effective and comfortable on the inside move puts a ton of pressure on our linebackers. It gives them a much larger field to defend against scrambles, draws, and swing/flat passes. The biggest difference in our defensive performance this season is having him instead of Don't Say Nuthin. Chaz is a talented guy, but our defensive scheme as a whole depends on the LE playing containment in the running game and cutting off the short passing lanes to the boundary. In the past couple of games Sutton has gotten better about attempting more outside rushes which has breathed some new life into our D.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i think its improved dramatically and i like the moves we've made in the secondary over the course of the past two games. if chaz elder is back there on either of the two big pass plays, who knows if he knocks it down or not, but we have been in position to make/prevent big plays in the secondary.

as much as the one handed catch essentially won tennessee the game, we had the game in complete control defensively on the 3rd and 10 horse collar play. its inexcusable for golightly to not only miss the sack when he's unblocked but then allow him to run for the first down. that play frustrates me a hell of a lot more than christian having tight coverage and the receiver just making a great play though after the first big play you'd hope the safety would be in better position for help over the top.

as much as teams are going to try and pick on christian on the outside in obvious passing situations when we are in our nickel/dime package its probably our best lineup in that situation. because if we go to our base package, we are way too porous in the middle against the pass. this will be the big test of where we truly are at. theyre going to test us in a variety of ways similar to what clemson will.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Somewhat better overall, but still has weaknesses to be exploited. I worry about Missouri's tall WR's and hope the LDE can get pressure. If they throw quick routes, I worry that our linebackers will get beaten - as usual.
Biggest disappointment - the spur position (poor tackling, bad angles, poor effort to recover when assignment missed.
2nd place - MLB (missing gaps, biting on fakes, bad pass coverage).
3rd place - poor run defense on left edge. Little penetration by DE on that side.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote