CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
ReadR00ster
Gyle41386
Acockolypse Now
sporkgod50
markp_vip
4gamecockfb
Lalli25
Thenardier
OscarTheGrouch
Women's bb - Deshiel (633)
Hope Springs Eternal (553)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (428)
Byron the bunny...fe (380)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
How to cut the musta (237)
The #AskEmmert Q& (184)
Shameless self promo (146)
The Kentucky Bourbon (135)
Victor Hampton Arrested
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Name a Gamecock
UK's Whitlow to transfer
Ahmed Hill (2014 Propsect
Larenz Bryant update?
Joeckel Transfering from
How to cut the mustard
Jameis Winston's Accuser

Old 10-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
theoSCARfan89
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
theoSCARfan89 has hatched from the shell
Default Coach Elliott...I like this guy

What are the odds that this guy ends up taking the reigns over from Spurrier when that day comes? Do you think he could translate to being a successful HC? Just curious.
theoSCARfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coach Elliott...I like this guy

Coach Elliott is that you????

Just kidding, I really like him. He does great interviews & is a high energy guy. Not sure about taking the reigns, but I do think he will either be a head coach some day or an NFL assistant.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

He would be on my list. Not my top choice, but up there. His unit has really showed improvement, not only on the field but also by the type of prospect he has brought in. If it were to be anyone on the current staff, I think he would be the best. I like Ward, but I think he is better served as a DC.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
unccgamecock
Walk On

Male

unccgamecock is sharpening his clawsunccgamecock is sharpening his clawsunccgamecock is sharpening his clawsunccgamecock is sharpening his claws

Kirby Smart
unccgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoSCARfan89 View Post
What are the odds that this guy ends up taking the reigns over from Spurrier when that day comes? Do you think he could translate to being a successful HC? Just curious.

50/1 but more like 0%

Just because you are intense doesn't mean you'll make a good head coach.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Cockyteg
4-Star

Male

Cockyteg has hatched from the shell

yep I like him too
Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Harry Cock
Recruit

Male

Harry Cock has hatched from the shell

You knows why I would be thrilled with this move? He would go out and actually RECRUIT! He has high energy and is an old school, in your face, type coach. He is emotional and loves the University.
Harry Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
CockyinVA
Recruit

Male

CockyinVA is making other chickens nervousCockyinVA is making other chickens nervousCockyinVA is making other chickens nervousCockyinVA is making other chickens nervousCockyinVA is making other chickens nervousCockyinVA is making other chickens nervousCockyinVA is making other chickens nervous

Assuming Spurrier leaves with the program still in good shape, I think it there is a good chance they promote one of the current assistants. Ward and Elliott are the top 2 candidates for that, and I would lean heavily towards Elliott personally. I would be surprised if this has not already been discussed between Spurrier and Tanner.

I am just trying to envision the Tuesday press conferences run by Elliott. 30 straight minutes of scowling and ripping reporters. Would be good times.
CockyinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I want a young, energetic, bull dog recruiter, with a great offensive background.

Gus Malzahn, Kliff kingsbury type
Old 10-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I always thought Mangus would be the next guy up... but then the whole pee pee scandal happened so idk. I'm not crazy about the thought of anyone on our staff taking over the reigns... especially not Ward.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 200
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

ART BRILES

Elliotts lines are either good or bad
Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Love the guy...he's from my hometown....I know his family. The only drawback I see is he is sooooo high energy that he may come of as a daybo type coach. I would hope not but that is my take. Maybe a few years down the road he can calm down and gear the energy towards just recruiting and coaching and settle down for media interviews. Still think he would be a good choice regardless.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I have no idea why, but I can't think of any of our current assistant coaches as being head coach material. Some guys are good/great coordinators or position coaches and bad head coaches (Ellis Johnson) and that's how I imagine these guys. I have nothing to go on, but that's just how I feel. Maybe they will all prove me wrong one day.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I want a young, energetic, bull dog recruiter, with a great offensive background.

Gus Malzahn, Kliff kingsbury type
I agree with you. I like how Auburn has built their staff and I would like to see us go the same way after Spurrier retires.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
tpep
Two Deep

Male

tpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Love the guy...he's from my hometown....I know his family. The only drawback I see is he is sooooo high energy that he may come of as a daybo type coach. I would hope not but that is my take. Maybe a few years down the road he can calm down and gear the energy towards just recruiting and coaching and settle down for media interviews. Still think he would be a good choice regardless.
maybe high energy like daybo, but, he can ACTUALLY coach, unlike ye ole cheerleader
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

No, no, no! This is the SEC! There's no time for on the job training. We need someone with experience, who also can recruit his butt off, unlike Spurrier!
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Maybe not a head coach...but I would like to see him take over as OC when Spurrier hangs em up.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

My goodnes not Ward!! I would like to see him replaced as DC. The thought of him being the head coach is scary. I think Strong would get a shot if he was available.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

Meaning no disrespect to Elliott, but why would an SEC team that will likely have averaged nine-plus wins over a several-year period when Spurrier retires take a leap of faith on someone who has never even been a coordinator before? (and I realize that Elliott is the run game coordinator, but this was a figurehead title necessary to get him a multi-year contract... he's our line coach).

We should have the allure to pull in an experienced winning head coach when Spurrier decides to step down. Every hire is a risk to a certain extent, but I would much rather have a real resume to judge rather than hiring a legacy because he's enthusiastic or high-energy.

One of the reasons that Brad Scott failed at USC was that almost everyone on his initial staff here received a promotion to come to USC. BS was an OC who became a head coach, Burnham, Reaves and Eason were position coaches who became coordinators, and I think that multiple of our position coaches coaches had fairly little paid coaching experience.

If Elliott were hired (or any other SEC position coach who toils in relative anonymity), his name would not necessarily attract the kind of experienced coordinators he would need for support as a first-time head coach. I would be very disappointed with such a hire... not because it was Elliott, but because it wasn't someone else.

Dabo Swinney is an interesting parallel, but he also took a job in a conference where he was assured of having 8-9 layups on his schedule every season. He could grow into the job (and survive coordinators like Napier) and still win enough games to stick around. I don't know that USC's schedule would allow the same on-the-job training.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

RoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spurs

I think Elliott would be a great choice to continue the program. I'd imagine that he has a good relationship with the other offensive coaches, and that he'd keep Mangus/Spur Jr as his o-coordinator/recruiting coordinator, respectively.

I'm not sold on Ward as a HC. Hell, I'm not sold on Ward as the DC.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote