CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
garnet_black215
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
CockyRyan
MWard
Regalcock
Spurticus
GamecockSuperFan
WeStillOwnUSC
Clemson Recruiting.. (3755)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1638)
Ranking the Opposing (1539)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1424)
Not a Rival.. (1127)
Gamecock Coaches as (995)
NCAA Football 15 (622)
Hello Gamecocks! (591)
Marching band (511)
John Rocker at rock (508)
2015 - Mon Denson
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Clemson Recruiting...how
John Rocker at rock botto
Green and Lammons
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
NCAA Football 15
2015 - Ty'Son Williams

Old 10-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default Fall Baseball/Spring outlook

So with Fall baseball in the books for his year's team, what are your opinions on it? Likes, dislikes, surprises, concerns etc? Thought maybe this would give us a chance to express our thoughts on this years team as a whole in one thread now that we have seen them practice and play.

I am pretty pleased right now. I like the competition at several of the positions and our young pitchers, Wil Crowe is going to be a stud for us. Matt Williams really surprised a lot of people, including coach Holbrook. Obviously our core group of Montgomery, Griener, Pankake, English, and Schrock are going to be very good for us. I am still wondering who will be our closer but I like our possible weekend rotation of Montgomery, Crowe, and Wynkoop.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fall Baseball/Spring outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhornet View Post
So with Fall baseball in the books for his year's team, what are your opinions on it? Likes, dislikes, surprises, concerns etc? Thought maybe this would give us a chance to express our thoughts on this years team as a whole in one thread now that we have seen them practice and play.

I am pretty pleased right now. I like the competition at several of the positions and our young pitchers, Wil Crowe is going to be a stud for us. Matt Williams really surprised a lot of people, including coach Holbrook. Obviously our core group of Montgomery, Griener, Pankake, English, and Schrock are going to be very good for us. I am still wondering who will be our closer but I like our possible weekend rotation of Montgomery, Crowe, and Wynkoop.
The biggest concern this team has is health and the bullpen. The loss of Belcher, Westmoreland, and Webb alone is a large amount of crucial innings that has to be replaced.

Given Gumby can stay healthy, he will replace Belcher's innings alone. But who is going to be our 2 go-to guys in the pen this year? If Beal can figure it out he would be a great option but that's the concern. Will they figure it out? Will Seddon pitch like he did in summer ball, or return to how he's pitched recently? Aside from that, we're hoping that Vogel and Mincey, among others are as promising during the season as they are now.

Who is going to close games out, that's the biggest and most important question this team has.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Bullpen is talented but still a question mark. Really hoping Beal can finally put it together this year. I think the top half of our lineup will be one of the best in the SEC. You look at Schrock who is at least a .350 hitter this year, Pankake probably .330 15-20 HR, Greiner .320 15 HR, Martin .320ish, Celek .315, English .315.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107787138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Bullpen is talented but still a question mark. Really hoping Beal can finally put it together this year. I think the top half of our lineup will be one of the best in the SEC. You look at Schrock who is at least a .350 hitter this year, Pankake probably .330 15-20 HR, Greiner .320 15 HR, Martin .320ish, Celek .315, English .315.
I doubt anyone gets to 15 HR. 10-12 is more likely
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post

Like Luke said, I doubt anyone gets that many homeruns. Especially now-a-days with these bats.

My best guess at the starting lineup (this may be far off, it may not be):

1) English - CF (Easily a .290 - .310 hitter with the great possibility of 25 steals, if he can put it together for a season)
2) Schrock - 2B (.280-.320 hitter, depending on how he starts.)
3) Pankake - 3B (.300 hitter with 10-12 HR)
4) Greiner - C (.280-.300 hitter with 8-12 HR)
5) Martin - 1B (.270-.280 hitter with 7-9 HR)
6) Caldwell - DH (.270-.290 hitter with 7-9 HR with 5-10 SB)
7) Bright - RF (.280-.300 hitter with 3-4 HR but good OBP)
8) Mooney - SS (.220-.250 hitter)
9) Cone - LF (.220-.250 hitter)

That's just my opinion, not saying it's right by any means.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Like Luke said, I doubt anyone gets that many homeruns. Especially now-a-days with these bats.

My best guess at the starting lineup (this may be far off, it may not be):

1) English - CF (Easily a .290 - .310 hitter with the great possibility of 25 steals, if he can put it together for a season)
2) Schrock - 2B (.280-.320 hitter, depending on how he starts.)
3) Pankake - 3B (.300 hitter with 10-12 HR)
4) Greiner - C (.280-.300 hitter with 8-12 HR)
5) Martin - 1B (.270-.280 hitter with 7-9 HR)
6) Caldwell - DH (.270-.290 hitter with 7-9 HR with 5-10 SB)
7) Bright - RF (.280-.300 hitter with 3-4 HR but good OBP)
8) Mooney - SS (.220-.250 hitter)
9) Cone - LF (.220-.250 hitter)

That's just my opinion, not saying it's right by any means.
Not sure why I put 15 HR for Greiner, I meant more in the 8-10 range for him. Pankake hit 11 HR last year so it wouldn't shock me to see him hit 15 this year considering he'll be relied on a little bit more this year to be our power bat with Dantzler gone.