CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > High School Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
gadeneer1986
Cocks N Stuff
So Disappointed With (2383)
Rank the QBs under S (1636)
Back like cooked cra (1222)
Tennessee game (777)
Who start on the d l (687)
No Comments on the H (572)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (212)
Gameday parking in A (149)
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
No Comments on the Holes?
So Disappointed With The
Tennessee game
Back like cooked crack
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Texas athletic director:
Roll call for Auburn

Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Someone in the Simpsonville area, I need a head's up .....

... What's the deal with Hillcrest High School ?!?!?!?

WOW ........ My alma matter is kicking ass this year !!
I have to admit, I haven't kept up with them much since moving down
here to Columbia, but my brother still goes to a lot of the games, and in
years past, when I asked him "how's Hillcrest Doing" ? .. his answer has
always been "Same Old Hillcrest"

He told me about three weeks into the season that they looked like they
had finally developed an offense. .... The last two weeks they have
destroyed the competition, and looking at their season thus far, they have
been scoring (looks like) an average of around 40-45 points, and over
50 in their last couple of games !!!!

If there's anyone here who can fill me in on them I'd be very appreciative.
I saw they were ranked 10th in the state now, and their only loss of the
year was by 3 points to a number 2 ranked Dorman team. SO

Any players from their team getting any looks on the recruiting trail ?
or any details you can give, please let me know. I'm very excited to
see them doing well (for a change)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Someone in the Simpsonville area, I need a head's up .....

Don't know about their football but the wrestling program is of perrenial championship caliber! Absolute studs from top to bottom.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Don't know about their football but the wrestling program is of perrenial championship caliber! Absolute studs from top to bottom.
Their Wrestling program has always been solid to very good. I used to go
to a lot of the meets in the 90s right before I moved to Columbia.

The thing about the Football team is that (bless their hearts), in the
55 years since the school was built, their football team had 1 undefeated
season where they went 6-0 right after the school was built. Since
then I think they've only had 3-4 seasons where they won more than 6
games, and before we made the "Big 16", I think we'd only made the
playoffs about 3 times. I was shocked when I looked at their record
three week ago. Not just the fact that they were 6-1 at the time, but
at the number of points they were putting up, and the margin of victory.

Spoke with my brother last night who told me they were an extremely
strong team this year, and the 3 point loss to Dorman (he said) was a
gift from the refs. Said Hillcrest actually outplayed them, but there were
some really bad calls that went against them at crucial times in the game.
He said he felt very strongly that if they played Dorman this weekend,
they would win the game easily. .... Speculation I know, but it says a lot
for the way the team has grown quickly this year.

I found out a lot about the team last night talking to him. He said the
head coaches name is Andy Hallman, and the assistant coach is a guy
I remember who played for the Rams in the late 70s. He also played
for South Carolina and came from the same team that James Seawright,
David Johnson and Thomas Dendy played on all of which played for
USC as well. His name is David Hodge who played TE and DE here at
USC. His dad Wilbur played here at Carolina in the 60s, and was on the Green
Bay Packers roster for a year or so.

Their QBs name is Alec Morton (just a soph), and they do have a kid who
was selected to play in the Shrine Bowl game, but his name and position
escapes me at the moment.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Morty's Spurs
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Morty's Spurs has hatched from the shell

Wow,

Ok... where to begin. As of last Friday, Hillcrest is 8-1. Their head coach is Greg Porter. Coach Porter has done a great job and put together an awesome coaching staff this year.
The starting QB on varsity is Colin Snead and he is a sophomore. Alec Morton is the starting QB for the C-Team (9th grade). Both of which are good QB's. Lots of talent in the program.
Isaiah Lewis has been selected to play in the Shrine Bowl and has verbally committed to play at Georgia Southern (a D1 school next year).
Hillcrest has two games left before the playoffs, one with Easley and one with Woodmont. Both are Region games. They should win the region and get a pretty good seed for the playoffs this year.
Things are definately looking up for the Rams!
Morty's Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

QB is good, RB is good. I was at the game they lost vs Dorman and they really out played Dorman, just had too many mistakes. The O is pretty good but their D needed help in that game although they do have a DB in the Shrine Bowl. Issac Lewis #36. Looks like they've continued to improve.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
TS-45 Gamecock
Earning a Scholly

Male

TS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Their Wrestling program has always been solid to very good. I used to go
to a lot of the meets in the 90s right before I moved to Columbia.

The thing about the Football team is that (bless their hearts), in the
55 years since the school was built, their football team had 1 undefeated
season where they went 6-0 right after the school was built. Since
then I think they've only had 3-4 seasons where they won more than 6
games, and before we made the "Big 16", I think we'd only made the
playoffs about 3 times. I was shocked when I looked at their record
three week ago. Not just the fact that they were 6-1 at the time, but
at the number of points they were putting up, and the margin of victory.

Spoke with my brother last night who told me they were an extremely
strong team this year, and the 3 point loss to Dorman (he said) was a
gift from the refs. Said Hillcrest actually outplayed them, but there were
some really bad calls that went against them at crucial times in the game.
He said he felt very strongly that if they played Dorman this weekend,
they would win the game easily. .... Speculation I know, but it says a lot
for the way the team has grown quickly this year.

I found out a lot about the team last night talking to him. He said the
head coaches name is Andy Hallman, and the assistant coach is a guy
I remember who played for the Rams in the late 70s. He also played
for South Carolina and came from the same team that James Seawright,
David Johnson and Thomas Dendy played on all of which played for
USC as well. His name is David Hodge who played TE and DE here at
USC. His dad Wilbur played here at Carolina in the 60s, and was on the Green
Bay Packers roster for a year or so.

Their QBs name is Alec Morton (just a soph), and they do have a kid who
was selected to play in the Shrine Bowl game, but his name and position
escapes me at the moment.
Their starting QB is named Collin Sneed. You are correct, he is a soph. He is my next door neighbor. My wife used to take him to football practice when he was playing JV. He is a good kid.

My wife and his mom are pretty good friends, have been for years. I remember Colin when he was just a young pup.

Anyway, they run the read option with quick passes, screens and what not but they will hit one deep. Colin is just under 6 feet tall but looks like he will grow a little by the time he is a senior. His arm is pretty strong now and his footwork is pretty good. In another 2 years, look out. He works hard (I have seen him throwing footballs through a tire swing in his yard just working on mechanics).

I was at the Dorman game and agree with your brother, Hillcrest should have won. Dorman, Byrnes, Gaffney, Spartanburg get those calls and Hillcrest was on the short end of the stick. Bad officiating.

The bad news is his family is all Tarheel. Have the flags and everything. Colin has stated in the past that he wants to be a Tarheel or a Gamecock. Not at Clemtech fan at all.

Look out for Colin Sneed. Future Mr. Football candidate for SC. If his last name was Bentley, he would be a candidate this year. Unless it is reserved for Seniors only. IDK

TS-45 Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-45 Gamecock View Post
Their starting QB is named Collin Sneed. You are correct, he is a soph. He is my next door neighbor. My wife used to take him to football practice when he was playing JV. He is a good kid.

My wife and his mom are pretty good friends, have been for years. I remember Colin when he was just a young pup.

Anyway, they run the read option with quick passes, screens and what not but they will hit one deep. Colin is just under 6 feet tall but looks like he will grow a little by the time he is a senior. His arm is pretty strong now and his footwork is pretty good. In another 2 years, look out. He works hard (I have seen him throwing footballs through a tire swing in his yard just working on mechanics).

I was at the Dorman game and agree with your brother, Hillcrest should have won. Dorman, Byrnes, Gaffney, Spartanburg get those calls and Hillcrest was on the short end of the stick. Bad officiating.

The bad news is his family is all Tarheel. Have the flags and everything. Colin has stated in the past that he wants to be a Tarheel or a Gamecock. Not at Clemtech fan at all.

Look out for Colin Sneed. Future Mr. Football candidate for SC. If his last name was Bentley, he would be a candidate this year. Unless it is reserved for Seniors only. IDK
Wasn't all bad calls though. Hillcrest had plays there but didn't make them until the 4th qtr when it became more of a shootout. Arcega Whiteside for Dorman totally took that game over and the DBs for Hillcrest had no chance at covering him. The only close call was that TD he had over 3 defenders. It it were a collge game that would have probably been reviewed. Not sure he got a foot in bounds first or not but the refs gave him the TD since he made the catch. Regardless, for 3 qtrs, Hillcrest stopped themselves with drops more than anything.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Morty's Spurs
Walk On

Male

Here is the website for Hillcrest football...

http://www.greenvillecountyathletics...8524-hillcrest

Ram Nation!!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morty's Spurs View Post
Wow,

Ok... where to begin. As of last Friday, Hillcrest is 8-1. Their head coach is Greg Porter. Coach Porter has done a great job and put together an awesome coaching staff this year.
The starting QB on varsity is Colin Snead and he is a sophomore. Alec Morton is the starting QB for the C-Team (9th grade). Both of which are good QB's. Lots of talent in the program.
Isaiah Lewis has been selected to play in the Shrine Bowl and has verbally committed to play at Georgia Southern (a D1 school next year).
Hillcrest has two games left before the playoffs, one with Easley and one with Woodmont. Both are Region games. They should win the region and get a pretty good seed for the playoffs this year.
Things are definately looking up for the Rams!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-45 Gamecock View Post

My bad about Sneed and Morton. He did tell me they had a guy coming
up named Morton who looked like another good QB, and he told me Sneed
was the Varsity QB who was a Soph. I got the two confused.

So... Who is Andy Hallman if the coach is Potter ?!?! ... I probably got
those confused as well. .... Should have taken notes

Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Wasn't all bad calls though. Hillcrest had plays there but didn't make them until the 4th qtr when it became more of a shootout. Arcega Whiteside for Dorman totally took that game over and the DBs for Hillcrest had no chance at covering him. The only close call was that TD he had over 3 defenders. It it were a collge game that would have probably been reviewed. Not sure he got a foot in bounds first or not but the refs gave him the TD since he made the catch. Regardless, for 3 qtrs, Hillcrest stopped themselves with drops more than anything.
thanx for the info my man. ... My younger brother is still a big Hillcrest
homer, so him blaming it on the refs sounds about right. Either way, it's
a lot better than those 65-0, 48-3 games that you typically see between
Hillcrest and Dorman or Spartanburg.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Morty's Spurs
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
My bad about Sneed and Morton. He did tell me they had a guy coming
up named Morton who looked like another good QB, and he told me Sneed
was the Varsity QB who was a Soph. I got the two confused.

So... Who is Andy Hallman if the coach is Potter ?!?! ... I probably got
those confused as well. .... Should have taken notes

NP... Hallman was the coach at Hillcrest several years ago. Last I heard he was defensive coordinator at Wade Hampton High in Greenville.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
Shimano
Recruit

Male

Shimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spurs

I was at the Dorman game. Arcega-Whiteside has like 230 receiving yards and their total offense was like 300.

They definitely got some playmakers at skill positions, and tons of size on the OL. You need to go to a game....fun team to watch.
Shimano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimano View Post
I was at the Dorman game. Arcega-Whiteside has like 230 receiving yards and their total offense was like 300.

They definitely got some playmakers at skill positions, and tons of size on the OL. You need to go to a game....fun team to watch.
I wish I had kept up with them over the last several years, but just got
out of touch since I moved to Columbia, and I wish I had known early in
the season they were doing so well. I have been back up that way on
days when they played home games, but just hadn't heard about their
success. .. I told my brother the other day I would like to see one of their
last two games, but I'm tied up this weekend, so the Easley Game is out
of the question, I'm going to try to get up there next weekend to catch
their last game against Woodmont. I told my youngest brother to get
in touch with my other two brothers and we're going to try to all meet up
at the game. That's the plan right now anyway.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morty's Spurs View Post
NP... Hallman was the coach at Hillcrest several years ago. Last I heard he was defensive coordinator at Wade Hampton High in Greenville.
I just figured out where I got the Andy Hallman error. I had checked their
football schedule on line the week before they played Laurens, and was
looking at the information on the schedule. For some reason, that site
still has Hallman listed as their head coach ?!?! ...updated schedule, but
the coaches name is incorrect. That's where I got that Hallman was the
coach of the Rams.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...l/schedule.htm
Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Decided to ride up to Simpsonville yesterday to check out the Rams
who played their last regular season game against Woodmont. Somewhat
disappointed because the Snead kid (QB) had an injury and didn't play.
My brother told me before the game started that the offense wasn't the
same without Snead in..... he was right (to say the least). Woodmont
stayed in the game through most of the first three quarters and at one
point near the first half actually led 14-6. Hillcrest ended up winning the
game 27-14. Had a kid named Isaiah Lewis who was one hell of an athlete.
Played both ways + S/Teams, scored three of the four TDs and ran the last two series
of the game in the Wildcat. .... IMO, they "overused" him.

The Defense was very "lax". Got ripped a lot for big plays, but made some
nice stops when they needed them, especially late in the game. Nice trip
up there though. Spent some time with my son and brothers and finally
saw a high school game (first one in about 15 years). Hopefully Hillcrest
will do well in the playoffs and I'll get a chance to see them play again
this year.

GO RAMS !!!

Last edited by Spurticus; 11-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Buzzkill alert:

Dorman sucks this year.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
colnago
Recruit

Male

colnago is learning to peck

To say the Rams have done well this year is an understatement. Those of us who went to Hillcrest know the history in football and it is not good. the Sneed kid is a very good athlete and is Madden, who actually is going to school next year on a baseball scholarship. They are missing a beat without Sneed, but I don't know if he is gone for the year or not. He dates a friend of my step-daughters, so I will find out.

GO RAMS !! Beat Rock Hill !!!
colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Hill rest over Rock Hill 41-14

Next up, Sumter!

PS: Crestwood loses to MB 31-27 after leading 27-14 at halftime
Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

No Shaq Davidson = Boiling Springs 48 Gaffney 41

Go Dogs!

And yes hillcrest has impressed!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 919723021
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

My alma Socastee High School only lost one game last year, and are undefeated this year.........

Beat Hartsville 21-20 to advance!