CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Lalli25
sporkgod50
i29gman
Spur's Addiction
Gyle41386
qcgamecock
F4rpoole
Thenardier
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1839)
The #AskEmmert Q& (596)
Stadium Ratings-Site (465)
Peach Bowl name retu (295)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (293)
Construction of Worl (293)
Save Electricity By (247)
HELP calculating acr (214)
NBA Wants to Up Age (162)
How Experienced In P (146)
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Jameis Winston's Accuser
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
2015 - Davon Durant
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is

Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
lewie1999
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
lewie1999 has hatched from the shell
Default Please explain this call for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6M6IclBurQ

The call at 2:07:42 is what I'm wondering about. I know there is constant questioning of the refs, but could someone please explain to me how this call could be made? Is there a rule I don't know about? I'm not the most knowledgeable guy, so I'm hoping there's something I'm missing because if not, this is unbelievable. I never see Clowney pass the line of scrimmage.
lewie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 5655802
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material
Default Re: Please explain this call for me

Didn't look at the video, but if this is the Clowney offside....... the Refs contention was that Clowney caused the offensive lineman to jump...... in that case, the penalty is called on the defense.

Not saying I agree.......
Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his comb

They are saying his movement cause the olineman to jump offsides. I maybe wrong, I am sure someone will take pleasure in correcting it if so, but I believe as long as the Dlineman stays out of the neutral zone they can move, unlike the offensive line. I would think that was a bad call but I am not sure either. Just from my minor understanding. Hopefully someone with a better understanding will step in. Thanks!
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

They called Clowney offsides, yet before the snap, Clowney pointed out that an O-lineman moved before the snap (false start) yet Clowney got called for being offsides.

Bottom line, it was one of the MANY BS penalties against the Gamecocks that game. SC should have gotten two W's that game. One for Mizzou and the other for the Refs.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervous

Wha-ha-happen was when Clowney used his 7 foot wingspan to point out the guy who just shat his pants and false started/farted Clowney actually violated the neutral zone. It's true I swear! But in all fairness Clowney should get credit for scaring the crap out of the lineman. Is there a statistic for that?
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

It is my understanding that the d-lineman has to enter the neutral zone and force the O-lineman to move in order for it to be offsides. Technically a d-lineman can do jumping jacks and cartwheels all he wants, but unless he enters the neutral zone, he is not offsides. If that were not the case, then anytime a defense simulates or fakes a blitz, then all the O-linemen have to do is move and say they were forced to move and that the defense was offsides.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
It is my understanding that the d-lineman has to enter the neutral zone and force the O-lineman to move in order for it to be offsides. Technically a d-lineman can do jumping jacks and cartwheels all he wants, but unless he enters the neutral zone, he is not offsides. If that were not the case, then anytime a defense simulates or fakes a blitz, then all the O-linemen have to do is move and say they were forced to move and that the defense was offsides.
If the dlineman enters the neutral zone and the offensive player moves while he is in at least the neutral zone then it's neutral zone infraction On the defense.

If the offensive player moves too late and the dlineman gets back out of the neutral zone, then they call it false start on the offense.

If the defensive player just blows by everybody it's blown dead and offsides unabated to the QB is called.

If the dlineman just gets an early jump but the olineman still is able to get between him and the QB then the play is allowed to continue in what is called a "free play". Where they at least have the upcoming penalty to fall back on.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
USC3027
Walk On

Male

USC3027 has hatched from the shell

I went all "Ramsey" at my TV when that happened.

I can understand missing some calls due to the fast pase of certain plays, but when a D-linemen points to the O-line and four refs miss it......heck, I was waiting on the targeting rule since he pointed at someone.

Being a ref at that level probably isn't easy, but the crew calling the SC - Mizzu game should be demoted to calling recreational youth football games. They were awful!
USC3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
lewie1999
Walk On

Male

lewie1999 has hatched from the shell

What I see is Clowney jump a little which makes the olineman jump a little so Clowney points at him. Clowney didn't come over the line and the other guy jumped. Guess the ref just missed it. Glad Clowney let it go without pitching a fit like I was doing.
lewie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPit

Sorry, didn't watch for the call but I did have to watch the last 2 minutes of that game again. Love Spurrier "I believe the good Lord was smiling on the Gamecocks"...
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewie1999 View Post
What I see is Clowney jump a little which makes the olineman jump a little so Clowney points at him. Clowney didn't come over the line and the other guy jumped. Guess the ref just missed it. Glad Clowney let it go without pitching a fit like I was doing.
Well I'm sure he was used to all of the bad calls all night... both sides had plenty to complain about in that game for officiating.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPit

During the call, the ref said that the defensive player, Clowney, moved in a manner that caused the olineman to move.

I think his awesomeness was lined up in the neutral zone.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
Go Cocks 29
Hall of Famer

Male

CockyCash: 348
Go Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPit

if my memory serves me well and you watch the replay:

clowney is in a 3 point stance on this play and he actually makes a move with his right hand which is the one not on the ground and the defender immediately moves then clowney begins to point at him. it is subtle and i didnt see it until i rewound it and watched it again. the dlineman cant make a sudden move to try and cause the oline to move so basically they called clowney for intent here
Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
uscsandstorm85
Bowl MVP

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

The refs were not the best in this game.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
Cockyteg
4-Star

Male

Cockyteg has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
The refs were not the best in this game.
of course not they always try to screw us some how
Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Here is the official defintion from the rulebook

. False Start. Each of the following is a false start by Team A if it occurs prior
to the snap after the ball is ready for play and all players are in scrimmage
formation:
1. Any movement by one or more players that simulates the start of a play.
2. The snapper moving to another position.
3. A restricted lineman (Rule 2-27-4) moving his hand(s) or making any
quick movement. [Exception: It is not a false start if a Team A lineman
immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral
zone (Rule 7-1-5-a-2) (A.R. 7-1-3-V)].

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
USC3027
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cocks 29 View Post
if my memory serves me well and you watch the replay:

clowney is in a 3 point stance on this play and he actually makes a move with his right hand which is the one not on the ground and the defender immediately moves then clowney begins to point at him. it is subtle and i didnt see it until i rewound it and watched it again. the dlineman cant make a sudden move to try and cause the oline to move so basically they called clowney for intent here

I respectfully disagree.

D-lineman move all the time (switch positions, move down the line a few feet, etc) and mostly it happens sudden. LB's and CB's run full speed towards the line prior to the snap either blitzing or faking a blitz. A QB can change their cadence or jerk their head trying to force an offsides.

I know this is a mute point, but the officials were completely wrong on this one and a few others in the game.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
USC3027
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Here is the official defintion from the rulebook

. False Start. Each of the following is a false start by Team A if it occurs prior
to the snap after the ball is ready for play and all players are in scrimmage
formation:
1. Any movement by one or more players that simulates the start of a play.
2. The snapper moving to another position.
3. A restricted lineman (Rule 2-27-4) moving his hand(s) or making any
quick movement. [Exception: It is not a false start if a Team A lineman
immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral
zone (Rule 7-1-5-a-2) (A.R. 7-1-3-V)].

This is one where the "exception" is the rule! Neutral zone infraction. Defensive players are not restricted.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
gamecockal
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 0
gamecockal has hatched from the shell

Just one of many bad calls in that game.
gamecockal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

The "clowney made him move" arguement doesn't work, because Clowney NEVER MOVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote