CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
GamecockSuperFan
DTGCOCKS#32
KaneisAble
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
The Yancey
Pw00132
Captain9Dragons
HBC Weekly Presser (1163)
Thompson Has Neck In (1060)
400 pasing yards (1033)
Funny? (1010)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (606)
What fish do you eat (558)
KY Suspends 4 Player (501)
Clowney didnt get ma (408)
4th & 1 Play (326)
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
HBC Weekly Presser
Thompson Has Neck Injury
QB Recruiting Strategy
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Thoughts on the basketbal

Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default The 14 best Spurrier quotes of all time...

Here

Quote:
This season

On South Carolina's 52-7 win over the Razorbacks: "I do feel badly for Arkansas. That's no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

On the Gamecocks' matchup at Tennessee "Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches."

On his age: "The Pope is 77 years old and he's in charge of a billion people. All I have to do is put 11 on the field."

Classic Spurrier

Georgia

On playing the Dawgs early: "I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

On Georgia recruiting: "Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?"

Tennessee

On the Vols missing out on the Sugar Bowl during his Florida years: "You can't spell Citrus without U-T."

On Peyton Manning: "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year. He wanted to be a three-time star of the Citrus Bowl."

Alabama

On recruiting: "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama ... Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours."

Florida State

On scandal in Tallahassee: "You know what FSU stands for, don't you? Free Shoes University."

On illegal hits against Danny Wuerffel: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different."

Auburn

On a fire at the football dorm that destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

Clemson

On the Death Valley nickname: "Most of our guys have never been to Death Valley. (LSU's stadium) is the Death Valley, isn't it? Or is there another one? There's two of them. That's right. There's two Death Valleys."

On the state of the South Carolina program (widely attributed, but probably not an original): "We aren't LSU and we aren't Alabama. But we sure ain't Clemson."

On Dabo Swinney's anger over the above quote: "I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do? I didn't say it.' Smart people don't believe everything they read, and they don't believe hearsay. ... I guess Dabo believed it."
Move to smack if need be. I'm looking at it more as "history..."

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: The 14 best Spurrier quotes of all time...

The best one by far is the quote about Auburn and the coloring books.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

On the state of the South Carolina program (widely attributed, but probably not an original): "We aren't LSU and we aren't Alabama. But we sure ain't Clemson."

That was Todd Ellis
Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

The Auburn one is definitely a frontrunner
Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Got to add a few to UGA,

Spurrier asked if the Gators would beat Georgia replied, "Is Ray Goff still coaching there?"

When he scored 50 in Athens, ""They didn't seem to be mad about it. They only had about 5,000 left in the stadium."

And he can pick on himself too,

Fan on call in show:
"Coach, I live in Tallahassee. Are we going to beat FSU this year? It is hard to live here when FSU is beating us"

Spurrier:

"Maybe you should think of moving to Georgia"
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

"We aren't LSU and we aren't Alabama. But we sure ain't Clemson." - not Spurrier

“Smart people don’t believe everything they read, and they don’t believe hearsay… I guess Dabo believed it.” - Spurrier
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

Spurrier was the starting QB for the TB Bucs in their 1st (and winless) season. The head coach (and also part owner) of the Bucs was of course John McKay...and might top SOS for coach with the funniest quotes...who besides signing local favorite Steve Spurrier had also signed his son J.J. McKay a decent WR from Southern Cal. One day McKay asked : "Why aren't you throwing to J.J. more often?"

Spurrier replied "Because he's the worst reciever on the team".

Another...

after B. Bowden was found to have told Federal investigators several falsehoods and when confronted under oath, he weaseled his way around it. The HBC said "People will say a lot of bad things about me but one thing they will never say is: that I lied to the Feds!"

A close friend was, in the 90s, pres. of the Gator boosters and he told me this one. During recruiting season, a 5 star safety had acted like a jerk during his visit capped off by intentionally wearing an FSU t-shirt into Spurriers office (the guy was rumored to be a verbal to the Noles but had told the coaches he was interested in UF). SOS said little but was not happy about that foolishness. Later, at the 11th hour, the kid had a change of heart and called an Asst. coach begging for another chance and promised to sign with the Gators. The coach called Spurrier and talked for a good 5-10 minutes to convince SOS that the kid was worth it and pleaded with him to give him a shot. There was silence on the phone for a while and then the HBC said:

"Tell him to go be a f#$$%#in Nole!" and hung up.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
The O.G.
Banned

Male

The O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudly

Don't see how Spurrier is talking smack to Auburn. He hasn't beaten them in over a decade.
The O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The O.G. View Post
Don't see how Spurrier is talking smack to Auburn. He hasn't beaten them in over a decade.
If you do a little research....like 10 sec.s worth...youd find that quote was from a Gator booster meeting from the 90s when Auburn was led by that infamous cheater Pat Dye. Guess its easier to take a shot at coach than do a quick google?
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1605
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Auburn

On a fire at the football dorm that destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

To any of you that like to talk smack, this is how it is done.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
That was well over a decade ago...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
If you do a little research....like 10 sec.s worth...youd find that quote was from a Gator booster meeting from the 90s when Auburn was led by that infamous cheater Pat Dye. Guess its easier to take a shot at coach than do a quick google?
Kuhn, good job. Some guys have to work at it, and some come by it naturally. Those who fall into the latter category don't 'do' research. Beneath their pay grade, I suppose. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
robertfootball
Walk On

Male

robertfootball has feathers coming inrobertfootball has feathers coming inrobertfootball has feathers coming in

He used to refer to Ray Goff as Ray Goof.lol The comment about Allbarn was right before Florida destroyed them in the SECCG if I remember correctly.
robertfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Missouri:

"I'll admit Mizzou has the superior Columbia in the SEC, if only because you haven't had anyone paralyzed by random gunfire this month."

SAD... but true.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Fail.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

The one I remember is : "Blake throw the damn ball to Sidney!!!! " The next play he throws the ball to Sidney and it gets picked off and the look on Blake's face was priceless.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post

That was Todd Ellis

Yep, was going to say the same thing ... it's funny that they give him credit for a quote that he didn't even say and that the VERY NEXT LINE references being incorrect. Congrats author, you just called yourself an idiot.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgamecock453 View Post
Missouri:

"I'll admit Mizzou has the superior Columbia in the SEC, if only because you haven't had anyone paralyzed by random gunfire this month."

SAD... but true.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Because it sounds like you're just spitting out ignorance ...

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
StratoCockster
Walk On

Male

StratoCockster has hatched from the shell

My favorite......

You know that wasn't a first down.
I know.
So why'd you call it one?
I don't know.
StratoCockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot material

Started this one a while back. Needs to be updated http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=70005

CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote