CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Order 66
snruter amabon
NineInchSpurs
NJGCfan
SwampFox
GamecockInHell
eightohhthree
trapper82
scfanz
Spurrier_Superior_On
Winston (3628)
New Photos by Travis (2199)
For the love of God! (1801)
SOS: No QB controve (1256)
Waldrop injured (1243)
ESPN reporter adding (1182)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (698)
Just read this. (551)
Acock's SEC Wrap Up (497)
In light of our matc (490)
Waldrop injured
Winston
The SEC East schedule fro
Just read this.
How we won the UGA game:
ESPN reporter adding to t
SMU job - Spurrier Jr.?
The Official USMNT Thread
In light of our matchup w
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:

Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Fall baseball wrap up: Still lots of questions

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/10/2...up-puzzle.html

Sounds like some questions got a little closer to being answered.
Still have some other questions..mostly, midweek starters and middle relief to get us to Mincy, if he is indeed our closer (sounds like he has the inside track).

I think Josh Reagan could be the midweek guy if he isn't the No. 3 starter, possibly with John Parke.

As far as bullpen...lots of options, mostly unproven.
Evan Beal I think will be the key..maybe go-to guy for the sixth and seventh.

I do have a feeling Hunter Privette will be our setup man.

Still, as we saw last year, we can't just depend on two or three guys if we want to make a deep run.

Four guys I'm excited about are Matt Vogel, Canaan Cropper, Vince Fiori and Joel Seddon.

I have a feeling Seddon (11 app. 18 innings with a 4.50 ERA and a 2-1 K-BB ratio) will have a good year, and Fiori looked good in limited action last year (14 app. 20.2 innings with a 3.92 ERA with nearly a 5-1 K-BB ratio).

Also, another name is Curt Britt.
Came in highly touted, but probably wasn't quite ready last year (11 app., 19.1 innings with a 5.12 ERA 3-1 K-BB ratio).

Like I said, a lot of names, but a lot unproven.
But I think a key to this season will be the play of Seddon, Britt, Beal, Fiori and Privette.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb
Default Re: Fall baseball wrap up: Still lots of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

Still have some other questions..mostly, midweek starters and middle relief to get us to Mincy, if he is indeed our closer (sounds like he has the inside track).

I think Josh Reagan could be the midweek guy if he isn't the No. 3 starter, possibly with John Parke.

Still, as we saw last year, we can't just depend on two or three guys if we want to make a deep run.

Four guys I'm excited about are Matt Vogel, Canaan Cropper, Vince Fiori and Joel Seddon.

I have a feeling Seddon (11 app. 18 innings with a 4.50 ERA and a 2-1 K-BB ratio) will have a good year, and Fiori looked good in limited action last year (14 app. 20.2 innings with a 3.92 ERA with nearly a 5-1 K-BB ratio).

Came in highly touted, but probably wasn't quite ready last year (11 app., 19.1 innings with a 5.12 ERA 3-1 K-BB ratio).

But I think a key to this season will be the play of Seddon, Britt, Beal, Fiori and Privette.
"The right-handed-hitting English has given up switch-hitting"

why??
Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
"The right-handed-hitting English has given up switch-hitting"

why??
Did you watch last season, and how badly that experiment FAILED??????
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Did you watch last season, and how badly that experiment FAILED??????
yeah, it seemed like he hit a lot better last season.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Not from the left side, he didn't. He looked lost more often than not. He was much more comfortable batting R. It was clearly visible, and discussed quite a bit throughout the season how uncomfortable he was batting L.

His BA went down from .298 in 2012 to .283 in 2013.

Trust me...we are not at all upset that experiment is over.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

Quote:
Not from the left side, he didn't. He looked lost more often than not.
He rarely did "switch hit" anyways if I recall though, until maybe later in the season
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
He rarely did "switch hit" anyways if I recall though, until maybe later in the season
He did early, then he didn't because it wasn't working, and then they started it up again. It didn't work...AT ALL. The only reason they tried it was to give him extra steps coming out of the box. That is all. Not because they thought he could hit from the left side.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

Quote:
He did early, then he didn't because it wasn't working, and then they started it up again. It didn't work...AT ALL. The only reason they tried it was to give him extra steps coming out of the box. That is all. Not because they thought he could hit from the left side.
just seemed like all he faced was righty's
Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Wil Crowe. All you need to know.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
THIS!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Yes we will.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

Quote:
He hurt his shoulder was the main reason it hurt him to swing from the left side
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

Our weekend rotation, unless anything crazy happens, should be Montgomery-Crowe-Wynkoop. I say Crowe is going to be the Saturday guy because that would make our weekend rotation lefty-righty-lefty. Just to mix things up a bit. Rarely ever do teams throw 3 lefties or 2 rights/2 lefties back to back nights. I know we did last year, but if possible you try and stay away from it.

Vince Fiori, Joel Seddon, Evan Beal, Hunter Privette, Matt Vogel, and Cody Mincey will all be key players out of the pen. Hopefuly Seddon and Beal can figure out their command issues, as it has still be a slight problem this fall. Mincey looked really nice coming out of the pen in the G&B World Series. Vogel's fastball is mid 90's, which is nice. He had some command issues and gave up 3 ER in less than an innings work in the 9th inning of game 1 of the G&B World Series. He didn't get to pitch again in it. Hopefully they work with him and he can be a great addition out of the pen this coming season.

Reagan, Britt, Seddon, Beal, Fiori, and possibly Mincey could also see sometime as a mid-week starter. Also, lets not forget about Kyle Martin, who has been one of the most consistent pitchers this fall! I would not be surprised at all to see him get some time on the mound in the spring!

As of today: my 35 man is something like-

3 - English (B)
4 - Bright (B)
5 - Harrington (B)
6 - Seddon (P)
7 - Arendas (B)
8 - Mooney (B)
9 - Pankake (B)
11 - Smith (B)
13 - Wynkoop (P)
14 - Beal (P)
15 - Gore (B/P)
16 - Koch (B)
17 - Widener (B/P)
18 - Haswell (P)
19 - Cone (B)
20 - Maxwell (B)
21 - Greiner (B)
22 - Schrock (B)
23 - Fiori (P)
24 - Celek (B)
28 - Parke (P)
30 - Caldwell (B)
32 - Cropper (P)
33 - Martin (B/P)
34 - Montgomery (P)
35 - Britt (P)
36 - Privette (P)
37 - Crowe (B/P)
38 - Knab (P)
42 - Mincey (P)
45 - Vogel (P)
47 - Reagan (P)
48 - Williams (B)
53 - Pike (B) (surprising but he's been one of the most consistent hitters this fall in terms of OBP.)
54 - McNickle (P)

That gives us 20 hitters and 19 pitchers (4 2-way guys).