CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
A. Pilgrim
thekob
NineInchSpurs
jrussjr
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
B-G
Regalcock
CCC
Davis dinged up agai (2453)
Freaky Coincidence o (1542)
New Photos by Travis (1322)
Defensive stand-arou (1187)
For the love of God! (1086)
Quarles is a Colt! (941)
Hatin' Ass Spurrier (652)
Wake Forest recruiti (576)
Winston (571)
Waldrop injured (563)
ECU fan here
2014-15 Premier League se
Making the Trip to Kentuc
Winston
Brad Guzan
Christian Walker called u
New Photos by Travis Bell
Well, as it turns out, we
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr

Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
haaron1988
G4C

Male

CockyCash: 500
haaron1988 has feathers coming inhaaron1988 has feathers coming in
Default Opinions of FSU

Curious of opinions on Cockytalk about FSU. Personally, I think they are a good football team, but I'm not as impressed as a lot of people. In their "big" (assuming anything big can exist in the current ACC) win vs. Clemson I noticed a weak offensive line and while I do believe Winston is a good quarterback, I don't believe all of his hype. Here is a video of them vs Clemson. Watch it and let me know what you think. Outside of this game their schedule has been a cake walk so far. So far I believe that this is the only game that you can look at to see their potential due to their weak scheduling:

My prediction (this may be far fetched and I won't be surprised if I am wrong, so let's call it a weak prediction) is that FSU will lose to Florida at Florida. Crazy? Maybe, but I will always choose SEC defense and the Gators are 4th nationally on defense. Yes their offense sucks right now, but add in the home crowd and rivalry week and a good defense and you have a chance.

Anyway,I'm interested in your opinion on the Seminoles and on my pick b/w UF and FSU. On another note, I much prefer Tommy Suggs and Todd Ellis to Gene Deckerhoff (the radio commentator in the video).

haaron1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb
Default Re: Opinions of FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by haaron1988 View Post

My prediction (this may be far fetched and I won't be surprised if I am wrong, so let's call it a weak prediction) is that FSU will lose to Florida at Florida. Crazy? Maybe, but I will always choose SEC defense and the Gators are 4th nationally on defense. Yes their offense sucks right now, but add in the home crowd and rivalry week and a good defense and you have a chance.

Anyway,I'm interested in your opinion on the Seminoles and on my pick b/w UF and FSU.
The thing is, FSU's offense is better than Missouri's, and Missouri shredded Florida for 36 points and over 500 yards.
  • 2013 Outback Bowl Champions
  • 2014 Capital One Bowl Champions
  • 11 Win Seasons - 2011, 2012, 2013
  • Top 10 Finishes - 2011, 2012, 2013
  • Top 5 Finish - 2013 (#4 USA Today Coaches/#4 AP)
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

ESPN was discussing how it seems like they are in a lose-lose situation at this point since they are beating everyone so handily. By beating all their ACC foes so heavily it's diminishing the overall strength of their conference. Clemson is easily the 2nd best team in the ACC and look at what they did to them. It sounded so backwards to me but I guess it makes sense. What do they want them to do? Win close and they say you're not a very good team, win big and they say your opponents are too weak. Crazy.
ktguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
haaron1988
G4C

Male

haaron1988 has feathers coming inhaaron1988 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Fan View Post
The thing is, FSU's offense is better than Missouri's, and Missouri shredded Florida for 36 points and over 500 yards.
I'm just not sold on FSU's offense. If they had a win over anyone other than Clemson I might agree, but their next best opponent that they have played this year is Maryland... Not saying you're wrong, I just don't see a defense that they have played that actually gets pressure on the QB more than a few times the whole game

haaron1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
ESPN was discussing how it seems like they are in a lose-lose situation at this point since they are beating everyone so handily. By beating all their ACC foes so heavily it's diminishing the overall strength of their conference. Clemson is easily the 2nd best team in the ACC and look at what they did to them. It sounded so backwards to me but I guess it makes sense. What do they want them to do? Win close and they say you're not a very good team, win big and they say your opponents are too weak. Crazy.
The flip side of that is if FSU has a close game now against an ACC opponent with the weaknesses of the ACC exposed again, people will doubt FSU because they didn't win by a large margin.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Rex123
Walk On

Male

Rex123 is learning to peckRex123 is learning to peck

I think they're the best and most complete team right now. Free Shoes U has been one of the biggest underachieving teams in the last decade considering all of the talent.
Rex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

They have looked very strong so far but they haven't exactly played anyone other than Clemsux. I am willing to bet that the U doesn't win this one in the last few minutes this week! FSU should beat them down! Miami is the most overrated team at this point.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Their DBs and their WRs are very good. Winston is awesome and didn't get rattled.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I honestly believe they are the second best team to Bama. Yes they haven't beaten anyone outside of Clemson, but they destroyed a good Clemson team in DV in the prime time game of the week. Oregon is probably more deserving just by strength of schedule, but I just feel FSUs Defense is the key factor.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Their DBs and their WRs are very good. Winston is awesome and didn't get rattled.
This^^^^^.

Solid DB's, big athletic WR's, and a solid defense as a whole. Winston looks like he's going to be the real deal.

Clemson had a good run for a few years after Bobby dragged the program into the dumper. Jimbo is steadily getting better players there, like it or not the Noles are becoming relevant again.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I don't know if they're a top 3 team or not. Kind of hard to judge them given their competition so far. I do think Winston is the real deal though. I've watched parts of 3 or 4 games and he's made some throws that without pinpoint accuracy would be picked off/broken up. Throws that redshirt freshmen don't normally make. That plus the poise and consistency he's shown makes me think he's going to have a long and successful NFL career, barring major injuries.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

My opinion is, if they played Clemson 10 times, they'd only win 5 of them.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I think they're a very good team and could easily compete in the SEC (although it might be wrong to bring this in the discussion). They have great skill position players, solid secondary and their LBs and D line are very good. Winston is a stud and their o line is pretty good. They seem to be a pretty complete team now and I think they will whoop Miami and Florida. We might see them in the national championship this year.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Most of my opinion comes from the Clemson game as its the only full FSU game I've watched:

They have an absurd amount of talent at the skill positions.
Lamarcus Joyner and the entire secondary are really good.
Jameis Winston is a great leader especially since he's only a RS Freshman. He's also one of the top 5 QB's in CFB.
It feels like its been a while since FSU has had one true dominant rusher. It seems like they mostly do a run game by committee. To challenge a team as good as Bama, I think they need a better run game.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Best in the ACC....................Outside of that, it's all speculation !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
My opinion is, if they played Clemson 10 times, they'd only win 5 of them.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think you'd win more than 1.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

FSU is a legit top 5 team.

They are the real deal in a crappy conference.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't think you'd win more than 1.
Well I don't know who "you" is, but you must not get the joke.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote