CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
Latti
Travelin
B-G
kingofnerf
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
2014 Subway Classic: (1225)
Cleveland Browns Hea (999)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Former Gamecock root (746)
Props to Eric Hyman. (559)
Four USC Basketball (534)
Franks boy's are pla (401)
Bowl packages (299)
5 apps to turn your (282)
My early Monday dinn (238)
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Franks boy's are playing
2015 Commitment - Quandes
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Former Gamecock rooting f

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Our Ol vs Mizzou DL

Looking at the game again, we out size them but they consistently beat us. Wonder why no pancake blocks- knock the snot out of them. It looks to me Mizzou's DL is smaller than say UCF's. It looks like we should have better protection and swat them away.
What am I missing?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our Ol vs Mizzou DL

Sam is a great player.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his comb

I've noticed that our guys can, for the lack of a better word, "contain". When it comes to just firing off the ball and destroying the man in front of you, I've rarely seen that from our guys. They've done a tremendous job this season though. Pass protection has improved, seems like heavy feet is a small issue against agile DEs. I don't want to discredit their body of work this season, but Mike Davis had broken so many tackles in the backfield and the line of scrimmage to gain yardage.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

We haven't perfected the art of holding like other SEC OL's.....see UGA
Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

A can of worms, I know. I don't think it's the players, it's the damn blocking scheme.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
The O.G.
Banned

Male

The O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudly

Mizzou has one of the best d-lineman in the country, good luck with that.
The O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Mizzou's DL was much quicker and ran lots of stunts. With our bigger and slower guys, it made them harder to block.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
Looking at the game again, we out size them but they consistently beat us. Wonder why no pancake blocks- knock the snot out of them. It looks to me Mizzou's DL is smaller than say UCF's. It looks like we should have better protection and swat them away.
What am I missing?
I saw it differently. I think our OL did a hell of a job pass blocking against a really fast good DL. I saw several pancakes, particularly in the fourth quarter and OT when it counted the most.

Hats off to the OL for the job they did at Mizzou.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
jonick
4-Star

Male

jonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudly

I thought our O-line did rather well against a highly touted Misery DL ... they didn't get that many sacks...and don't forget all those screens we pulled...they are the best at letting DL's go by...however all seriousness aside...transitioning from run blocking and pass blocking ain't as easy as you think... and a quick DL that uses their hands well can make a O-line look silly sometimes anyway...
jonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Carolina-Beez
Starter

Male

Carolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPit

I heard Coach Deguglielmo on Kornblutt's show yesterday talking about how our O line performed poorly. Guge said it was Connor Shaw's feet that were the difference in game. His ability to move around, even though he was hobbled, bought a little extra time.
Carolina-Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Chappy
Walk On

Male

Chappy is sharpening his clawsChappy is sharpening his clawsChappy is sharpening his clawsChappy is sharpening his clawsChappy is sharpening his claws

I spoke with several Mizzou fans who were greatly impressed with our Oline. They said their defensive line destroyed Florida's Offensive line but our Offensive line more than proved itself.
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
WakeboardingCock
Formerly MillerTime843

Male

CockyCash: 200
WakeboardingCock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Sam is a great player.
Reminds me of the kid who plays on St. Louis Rams defense line.
WakeboardingCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
What am I missing?
Being smaller and an athletic on the DL has it's advantages. It's not easy to pancake these guys because they are not top heavy and have good balance and agility and they can twist and turn and they keep their legs moving. And believe it or not, OL get tired too trying to stay in front of these quick dudes especially when they are so big and not as fast.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

They have the best DL in the SEC.

Their ends are the best. They ran right around our bigger and slow footed tackles several times
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
A can of worms, I know. I don't think it's the players, it's the damn blocking scheme.
Please enlighten us with the type of scheme that Coach Elliot uses. If you can name 2 run schemes and 2 pass schemes (that no one else uses) that we currently employ, I'll never post on this board again. Here's a hint, you can't because we use the same schemes that EVERY team in American uses.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Yea it's funny how people always say "oh our OL outsized their DL so we should dominate them in the trenches"... Isn't it just the nature of the game/position that DL, except NT's in 3-4 maybe, are going to typically be smaller than OL? They're smaller, faster, more agile because their job is to get around the OL and chase down a skill player. Unless there is a really abnormally huge discrepancy in size and weight, between an OL and DL, it seems silly to point to that as a reason to dominate the trenches. Please correct me if I'm off base here.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I understand why OP has questions like these, because then it begs the question, "Well if slight fast DL are effective than why can we get that kind of play out of Darius English and Mason Harris?"
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Yea it's funny how people always say "oh our OL outsized their DL so we should dominate them in the trenches"... Isn't it just the nature of the game/position that DL, except NT's in 3-4 maybe, are going to typically be smaller than OL? They're smaller, faster, more agile because their job is to get around the OL and chase down a skill player. Unless there is a really abnormally huge discrepancy in size and weight, between an OL and DL, it seems silly to point to that as a reason to dominate the trenches. Please correct me if I'm off base here.
USC outweighed the Mizzou d-line by over 400 pounds.

Mizzou D-Line 1,120 pounds
USC O-Line 1,574 pounds

Delta 454

The fact that they couldn't maul those guys is somewhat disturbing.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Our o-line did well enough. One thing that was noticeable though was the speed of Mizzou's DE's all game long.
FanofCarolina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
Carolina-Beez
Starter

Male

Carolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
They have the best DL in the SEC.

Their ends are the best. They ran right around our bigger and slow footed tackles several times
I'm not buy that. I can't see how they were any better than UT's D line. I seriously doubt there as good as Bama's or LSU's. I wouldn't trade our D line for theirs. If Shaw had started the game, we would have won easily and I seriously doubt you would have made the same argument.

Don't get me wrong -- they're good. Just not the best in the league.
Carolina-Beez is offline   Reply With Quote