CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
Captain9Dragons
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
2000grad
Fight, win, kick a-- (1076)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (916)
CFN prediction for a (853)
Why I'm hopeful abou (782)
The Gator Bowl wants (766)
USC will upset Aubur (648)
A simple defensive l (630)
What happened to thi (599)
Ranking Top HC jobs (452)
In-state QB talent (405)
Why is everyone anticipat
Cann tipping plays?
BA ranks recruiting class
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Thoughts on the basketbal
Ranking the SEC Football
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Media tabs South Carolina

Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Mizzou

There will be no grades this week. You don't dissect in detail your greatest sports memories. It cheapens them. You don't critique Reggie Jackson's swing when he hits 3 home runs off of 3 different pitchers in the '77 series, you don't review the weaknesses of the passing game of the Miracle on Ice, and you don't ruminate over the line play as Flutie lofts his Hail Mary to the sky.

This was one of those games. The classics. The legends.

You just watched it, took it in. Let the misery of 3 lost quarters and a failed season wash away as Shaw is led off the field on the shoulders of his teammates.

You can exhale.

OFFENSE
QB:

Dylan Thompson played a passable game in Shaw's absence. For whatever reason our players don't seem to play with the same intensity when he's in, and that's worrisome for next year. Shaw is not human. He's made of other stuff than you and me. Missouri fans around me were confused, mesmerized by him. "He's on another level" they said to me. Yes, he is.

RB: *
Mike. Squeeze the ball Mike. Squeeze it like it's your infant son and there is a raging flood underneath you. You are a complete back, and you punished Mizzou in the 4th quarter. You saved us in the 4th with the value you bring to our passing game. But the ball Mike. Squeeze it. Props to Carson, who you can see growing in front of your eyes.

WR/TE: *
Too many drops, but how many big plays do they have in them? Bruce, Byrd, Jones, Anderson, Adams... they all saved us at least once, when a drop meant defeat. They came up clutch, six different WRs and TEs caught a pass. Shaq, if you can find your way back, we need you. You can be so much more if you choose.

OL: *
Missouri's D-line is for real, and a great test for what we'll face against Florida. The nay-sayers are wrong, this group once again performed great. Pass protection was fantastic for most of the night, and the only let down was not being able to run the ball effectively. Sam is a beast of a defensive lineman, and he came free too often, but overall amazing job.

DEFENSE
DL: *

Thank you Kelcy. This group keeps getting better every game. Sutton is starting to come on as well and the backups are getting push. Mauk never got comfortable.

LB/Spur: *
Still the main weak spot on the team, but getting better. Much better job this week of recognizing the gaps.

CB/S: *
A love/hate game. Amazing job on Mizzou's big WRs, but had a few serious brain cramps. Should have had 4 picks but only caught one.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: *

Special teams won us a game. Tell your children that.

COACHING
Overall:

Spurrier is beginning to have faith in his defense again, and it's showing in terms of how he calls his offensive game. Great job by the coaching staff, they had a fantastic game plan for stopping Missouri, and if not for turnovers we wouldn't have needed overtime.

Nicely done.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:

What will we take away from this? Will our team rededicate themselves to achieving their goals? Will they become complacent again and assume we win by stepping on the field?

I do not know, but I do know that this team has no quit in them.

None.

...and that's good enough for me right now.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Don't look now, but over the last four games our defense is quietly becoming one of the best in the SEC. We took one of the best offenses in the SEC and held them to around 350 yards in regulation, just a week after Florida's vaunted defense gave up 500 yards. Time and time again with their backs against the wall they came up big. They're maturing, and they're going to give us an opportunity to win out.

...but enough about that. There's time for that.

Right now I want to savor the most improbable Gamecock win I've ever seen. I want to bask in the glow of knowing you've watched history in the making, that people will talk about this game the way they talk about FSU in 84 and Southern Cal in 83.

We went into an undefeated, number 5 team's home and stunned them in a way that's hard to understand. Don't let anyone tell you Mizzou is overranked, that they are not that good. They're the best team we've played this year, and the best we're likely to play unless we make Atlanta.

It's the stuff of legends, and the reason sports resonates with us so much.

Tonight I played the last game of organized basketball I'll ever play. I've played in this rec league for over 14 years, and although I'm not near as quick as I used to be, I had no intention of quitting. My body, as it turns out had other ideas and I announced my retirement at the beginning of the year.

Tonight was the first round of the playoffs. My team was the number one seed, and had a first round bye. All we needed to do was win this game and go to the championship next week. Win or lose, this was it for me. I have to go to California next week, so this was my finale.

The guys surprised me this week, by voting me league MVP and giving me a trophy before the game.

I assure you I didn't earn it.

It was a tight game, and it went back and forth, but with four minutes to go we had pulled ahead by 12 or so. Coach put me in.

With one minute to go I slipped down into a soft spot in the 2-3 zone, my teammate found me and with my back to the basket I raised up for a turnaround jumper. Improbably, the ball swished through, my first points of the night.

The guys came off the bench and mobbed me.

I hit the last shot I'll ever take.

That's why sports matter.

That's why this week was so special.

Enjoy it.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Kuhn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Mizzou

Your best one yet. Excellent!
Kuhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

good stuff
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Acock, you earned it! Just like all of us as Gamecock fans have earned it to enjoy the success our athletics are enjoying in the past few years.

And you ARE right... that's why sports matters!!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

From zone to zone, from sideline to sideline, from the beginning of your post to the end...I saw a Gamecock heart everywhere I looked.

Thank you for the memory, Acockolypse Now.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Phergy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Phergy is making other chickens nervousPhergy is making other chickens nervousPhergy is making other chickens nervousPhergy is making other chickens nervousPhergy is making other chickens nervousPhergy is making other chickens nervousPhergy is making other chickens nervous

Excellent wrap up. In my opinion, Shaw isn't human. And while I hate that Mizzou lost the game, your team made every play they needed to when the game was on the line. Kudos.
Phergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Great write up.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

Mike: squeeze the ball some....but not too hard or it will squirt out. First thing a backs coach will tell you, 5 points of pressure, but DO NOT squeeze the ball.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

great writeup, i dont necessarily agree with how the team reacts to thompson, but everything else is on point. i was drawing so many parallels between us letting one get away in the lsu/tennessee games the past two years and then being snakebit the following week while watching that game through the first 3 quarters. then the 4th quarter and overtime happened.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

For whatever reason our players don't seem to play with the same intensity when he's in, and that's worrisome for next year.
I wouldn't give it too much thought. If you recall, in 2011, the same thing happened to Shaw in the ECU game. His numbers were terrible that night, but it wasn't on him. It led to the whole Garcia/Shaw debate. Players play harder for their leader - its just that simple. When Shaw is gone, DT will have his opportunity to step up and lead.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
Mike: squeeze the ball some....but not too hard or it will squirt out. First thing a backs coach will tell you, 5 points of pressure, but DO NOT squeeze the ball.
Point well taken.

Perhaps he should do 7 points of pressure, just to be sure.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
shaka11
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 848
shaka11 is learning to peckshaka11 is learning to peck

Great write up!

http://youtu.be/gS9-NGjp1dc

shaka11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Don't look now, but over the last four games our defense is quietly becoming one of the best in the SEC. We took one of the best offenses in the SEC and held them to around 350 yards in regulation, just a week after Florida's vaunted defense gave up 500 yards. Time and time again with their backs against the wall they came up big. They're maturing, and they're going to give us an opportunity to win out.
They are really coming around, and with this nice four game home stand to close out the regular season I think the best is yet to come for our D this year. Great write-up!
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Excellent!

Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote