CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
Sandstorm29
GarnetSwarm1990
rioninusc
robgusc76
GregoryHouse
Regalcock
The Vent and Coachin (8201)
Disturbing comments (3200)
2015 schedule is bru (2457)
UF lets Durkin go (2148)
2015 Early Enrollees (1684)
**USC Women vs. Hamp (1111)
SOS...a day late &am (1102)
The U ends apparel d (734)
Bobo to Colorado St? (720)
Keeping it all in pe (402)
SOS...a day late & do
2016 - John Simpson
2014-15 Early Enrollees
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 schedule is brutal
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2015 - Ulric Jones
2015 Commitment - Dante S
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2015 Commitment - Sherrod

Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Fan Behavior

I know that this story is not directly about the Gamecocks, but it does cover an issue that relates to our team, and our fans...verbally abusing our players.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore..._player_t.html

The headline reads:
Ex-Ducks player to Oregon fans 'Go (bleep) yourselves'

Excerpt:

"I Love The Ducks. I Hate Duck Fans."
Directly behind me were a couple of drunk (expletive) who criticized Marcus' ability to throw the football, DeAnthony's ability to run the football, the lineman's ability block, and the coach's ability to analyze film and call plays. After hearing so much ignorant (expletive), I turned around to tell the "fans" to chill the (expletive) out.

Unfortunately, This article reminds me of a lot of things that I have seen & heard in the stands from our fans over the years.

I hope, that if you hear our fans abusing our players that you will have the guts to address that "fan" and let him/her know that it is not OK to treat our players with the kind of venom found in this article.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fan Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I know that this story is not directly about the Gamecocks, but it does cover an issue that relates to our team, and our fans...verbally abusing our players.

The headline reads:

Excerpt:

Directly behind me were a couple of drunk (expletive) who criticized Marcus' ability to throw the football, DeAnthony's ability to run the football, the lineman's ability block, and the coach's ability to analyze film and call plays. After hearing so much ignorant (expletive), I turned around to tell the "fans" to chill the (expletive) out.

Unfortunately, This article reminds me of a lot of things that I have seen & heard in the stands from our fans over the years.

I hope, that if you hear our fans abusing our players that you will have the guts to address that "fan" and let him/her know that it is not OK to treat our players with the kind of venom found in this article.
Unfortunately, this is just a part of attending football games... or even watching them at a bar or a party with others. There's a ton of ignorant fans who just want to criticize and bitch about everything. It's not going to stop, so there's no point in having the "guts" to call out a stranger in a large group of people. Been there, done that. As much as I hate blue collar comedy tour, I have to agree that "you can't fix stupid". This is one of the main reasons that I no longer buy season tickets or go watch games with people I don't know.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

You hear this stuff every game. "That guy" is in every section. These jerkoffs seem to believe that every pass thrown should be completed, and that each completion should be a minimum of 20 yards. They think that a 3 or 4 yard run is garbage, and complain after running plays are called. Apparently, every run should be broken for a touchdown, or else our OL sucks and our RB has poor skills. If Clowney doesn't have a sack on every play, he's winded and not trying.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

It only bothers me, when people yell it like idiots as if they are talking to everyone in their section of the stadium. However, several times I have people butting into my conversations with my friends at games, because they heard and took offense at what my friends and I were saying to one another and were very sensitive about it. I can't stand that, when they are the ones instigating getting angry at me or my friend because a football player or a coach is beyond reproach but all that common courtesy and decency goes out the door if you don't like there person standing right next you.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

My favorite has to be the guy that yells, "stop throwing the ball, we need to run it more." Then when a run is called and only get 2 or 3 yards, starts yelling, "throw the ball, running the ball is never going to work."

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Damn didn't Oregon win that game 42-14. Talk about some weak fans. I never have cared too much for Oregon.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Thin line between love and hate....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It only bothers me, when people yell it like idiots as if they are talking to everyone in their section of the stadium. However, several times I have people butting into my conversations with my friends at games, because they heard and took offense at what my friends and I were saying to one another and were very sensitive about it. I can't stand that, when they are the ones instigating getting angry at me or my friend because a football player or a coach is beyond reproach but all that common courtesy and decency goes out the door if you don't like there person standing right next you.
Read Rooster, this is what I have been telling you about how offensive your behavior is to others. You have said you don't give a sh*t about what others think. I have said you need to be considerate, but you will not.

After reading what that former player felt when fans such as yourself vented in the stands, I would hope you would reconsider your obnoxious behavior.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post

The headline reads:

Excerpt:

Your always going to have those DA's in the stands. Typically what you find out is " those people " have no clue about the game and have never played a sport in their life unless it was on the Rec level if that.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

WMFB
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Were you were making inflammatory comments in a public setting? Sometimes you need to be confronted, especially if your words are especially vulgar or derogatory. Do you have the right to say what you want? Yes, sure, of course you do. But everyone else also has the right to call you out on your bullshit. During the last home game, after a missed pass, a guy a few seats behind me said "Maybe if [they] didn't eat so much fried chicken, their fingers wouldn't be so greasy". I cleaned up the language in the quote, but you get the gist. I took exception to that statement, and told him so. Maybe he was just talking to his friends at the game, but that type of ignorance combined with racial comments thrown around is a detriment to our University, and a poor representation of our fan base. I'm not sure what was said to you, or what you said in the first place, but confronting a person for their comments in a public area is not always a lack of courtesy or decency.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Does Oregon also have a section 506? And is that where this ex player was standing?
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

alcohol makes alot of people say alot of dumb things (not saying thats the only reason/excuse) j
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Were you were making inflammatory comments in a public setting? Sometimes you need to be confronted, especially if your words are especially vulgar or derogatory. Do you have the right to say what you want? Yes, sure, of course you do. But everyone else also has the right to call you out on your bullshit. During the last home game, after a missed pass, a guy a few seats behind me said "Maybe if [they] didn't eat so much fried chicken, their fingers wouldn't be so greasy". I cleaned up the language in the quote, but you get the gist. I took exception to that statement, and told him so. Maybe he was just talking to his friends at the game, but that type of ignorance combined with racial comments thrown around is a detriment to our University, and a poor representation of our fan base. I'm not sure what was said to you, or what you said in the first place, but confronting a person for their comments in a public area is not always a lack of courtesy or decency.
I'm not talking about swearing or saying something racist or making some wildly inappropriate comment, but if I am don't like how some one is playing its my right to express my opinion on it. And no I don't expect every throw or run to be for big yards or a TD, but there ARE expectations.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

So a football player was shocked that football fans complain and curse in the stadium?

And the solution was to curse at those fans and write an angry letter?

This is fake.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Happens everywhere. But that does not make it right...
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Read Rooster, this is what I have been telling you about how offensive your behavior is to others. You have said you don't give a sh*t about what others think. I have said you need to be considerate, but you will not.

After reading what that former player felt when fans such as yourself vented in the stands, I would hope you would reconsider your obnoxious behavior.
I care what people think to a degree, but I'm not obligated to be some kind of sunshine pumping cheerleader. That is not why I watch or attend games. I disagree with heckling, but if anyone has a problem with whatever comments I have to say even if it is part of a conversation with someone else, that is a YOU problem. If you are someone that can't leave well enough alone because of an obsession with the views of others falling in line with your own, than you might not be one to be preaching one what is considerate and what is not. Because in my book that is not being considerate at all. You know what else is not considerate? Not getting your kids to sit down and run around all over the place. Making me get up and down every five minutes because you keep walking around. There is lot of annoying things people do at games that one could whine about this is bothersome, but I let is slide, because that is just part of going to a game. Welcome to the world. It's not here to accommodate you or give you warm fuzzy feelings. It's filled with different people who think and act different and requires a little something called "tolerance" to survive. Good luck working on that.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Does Oregon have a section 506?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
I care what people think to a degree, but I'm not obligated to be some kind of sunshine pumping cheerleader. That is not why I watch or attend games. I disagree with heckling, but if anyone has a problem with whatever comments I have to say even if it is part of a conversation with someone else, that is a YOU problem. If you are someone that can't leave well enough alone because of an obsession with the views of others falling in line with your own, than you might not be one to be preaching one what is considerate and what is not. Because in my book that is not being considerate at all. You know what else is not considerate? Not getting your kids to sit down and run around all over the place. Making me get up and down every five minutes because you keep walking around. There is lot of annoying things people do at games that one could whine about this is bothersome, but I let is slide, because that is just part of going to a game. Welcome to the world. It's not here to accommodate you or give you warm fuzzy feelings. It's filled with different people who think and act different and requires a little something called "tolerance" to survive. Good luck working on that.
Just as a parent has an obligation to make his kids behave, so to does a person have an obligation to be considerate of others around him. This is just a basic issue of courtesy. If you know the demeaning comments are offending the others around you, then I maintain you are acting as a boor and you should modify your behavior out of consideration for others.

Just because our society has a bunch of *ssholes, does not give you leave to be one yourself.

Nobody is saying you cannot do what you're doing. We are saying you should be considerate. If you wish to continue being inconsiderate, then that is on you and you are the *ss.

And by the way, I agree that nobody should let an obnoxious boor near them bother them and detract from the game experience. However, it is sometimes hard to avoid the negative feelings toward the *sses around us.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Just as a parent has an obligation to make his kids behave, so to does a person have an obligation to be considerate of others around him. This is just a basic issue of courtesy. If you know the demeaning comments are offending the others around you, then I maintain you are acting as a boor and you should modify your behavior out of consideration for others.

Just because our society has a bunch of *ssholes, does not give you leave to be one yourself.

Nobody is saying you cannot do what you're doing. We are saying you should be considerate. If you wish to continue being inconsiderate, then that is on you and you are the *ss.

And by the way, I agree that nobody should let an obnoxious boor near them bother them and detract from the game experience. However, it is sometimes hard to avoid the negative feelings toward the *sses around us.
Objection noted, but denied. It OFFENDS me that you expect me to modify MY behavior because YOU might be offended. Why don't you modify YOUR behavior by not being offended so easily? We are also not together one who is being an *sshole, here. Not saying you HAVE to be more tolerant but you should be to allow people to express their actual true opinions of the games with the people they came with. Never to memory have I ever gotten into it with another Gamecock fan. But I do have a couple of buddies that like to talk a lot of smack to opposing fans. It happens every time. They seem to absolutely love it. Some people just find this the most entertaining part of the experience, especially if they can find someone on the other side will to return said smack. I don't usually actively participate but do egg them on a bit, as I find it kind pretty amusing. Still I am more focused on the game.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 10-30-2013 at 03:31 PM.