CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ahmad
jrussjr
b381l
cocky-K
SC Sandlapper
Cockypantherfan
HeadCockFan
eightohhthree
ChickenButt
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1590)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (1452)
Defense not an issue (1444)
Cack's Toast of the (989)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (974)
I guess we don't get (930)
Legitimate, Unbiased (929)
Antonio Allen vs Als (802)
Look who's at the bo (619)
Antonio Allen vs Alshon J
Kendrick salley
why we're in this positio
Defensive personnel quest
Brawl at 49ers/Cardinals
SEC East Race as of 9/21
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
Was Brandon Wilds injured
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Celebrity Guest Picker...

Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Can't Take MSU Lightly

Spurrier said the Gamecocks' ability to pull out the close wins this season -- four of their six victories have come by 10 points or less -- have covered some deficiencies on all sides of the ball. The offense is ninth in SEC scoring, while the defense has struggled to maintain large leads. On special teams, the Gamecocks are last in punting and 12th of 14 teams in punt returns.

So there's plenty of work ahead, Spurrier says, and no time to feel good about what happened last week.

"We are fired up that after eight games we are in the hunt for the Eastern Division along with three other teams," he said. "We play them one at a time, play it out and see where we finish up when the year is over."

Mississippi State is coming off last Saturday's 28-22 win over Kentucky. The Bulldogs built a 21-7 lead in the first half, but couldn't secure the game until the Wildcats' last drive fell short at Mississippi State's 29 with 21 seconds left.

Dak Prescott threw for 268 yards and two touchdowns and caught a 17-yard touchdown pass from receiver Jameon Lewis in another impressive all-around performance. It was the second time this season Lewis has had rushing, receiving and passing touchdowns in a game.

MSU has played only one SEC road game where it lost to upstart Auburn by 4 points, 24-20.
Dak Prescott threw for 213 yards and rushed for 133 with two touchdowns.
The Bulldogs were able to keep in check Auburn tailbacks Corey Grant, Tre Mason and Cameron Artis-Payne, who had been the strength of the offense.
Mississippi State twice forced turnovers in Auburn territory in the second half, but failed to produce points both times. Auburn turned the ball over three times in all and MSU had no turnovers.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
79Cock
Recruit

CockyCash: 500
79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb
Default Re: Can't Take MSU Lightly

Our coaches and team will not..but some of our fans always do.
79Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Yeah 12:21 game...crowd will be late arriving and early departing, unfortunately.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

I'm not worried about this game, but I did watch a good bit of the MSO-KY game. The announcers said a few times that MSU was a good football team and they looked that way most of the game.

They have a true duel threat qb that leads the team in passing and rushing.

Jameon Lewis will also throw, catch and run.

These guys kind of remind me of UCF.

The more I look at the match-up, the less I think we will blow them out. Sounds like it could be an old-fashioned SEC barn-burner.

-----------------------------------------------

On special teams, the Gamecocks are last in punting and 12th of 14 teams in punt returns.

We've got to get better on Punt Returns and we simply need to score each time we get the ball so we don't have to witness our dreadful punting game.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Auburn turned the ball over three times in all and MSU had no turnovers.
This better not happen again on Sat. If we have players who cannot secure the ball, then they might do well spending some time watching someone else play.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Indiana Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1250
Indiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his comb

I have been studying film, working out hard all week and staying well hydrated for the game against MSU. Wait, I don't play.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Our bi-polar football team isn't good enough to take anyone lightly including Coastal.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

I take everyone lightly but that's just how I roll.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

After we beat #1 Bama, we lost to KY the following game...

If we truly want to turn the corner and win the SEC, we have to avoid letdown games. We've had them every year since I can remember. This week would be a great time to start beating the teams we should beat on a yearly basis.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Gamecock View Post
I have been studying film, working out hard all week and staying well hydrated for the game against MSU. Wait, I don't play.
If you can return kicks, I'll make some phone calls to my people.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
After we beat #1 Bama, we lost to KY the following game...

If we truly want to turn the corner and win the SEC, we have to avoid letdown games. We've had them every year since I can remember. This week would be a great time to start beating the teams we should beat on a yearly basis.
So you're expecting another "let down" game like two weeks ago?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
So you're expecting another "let down" game like two weeks ago?
Not expecting it, but it's the time to stop having them.

Got to start turning the tide at some point.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

This is a must win game, just like last week. I believe the team knows that.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
In technicolor.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I don't doubt that for a minute, but it seems like the fans are already looking ahead to UF.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't doubt that for a minute, but it seems like the fans are already looking ahead to UF.
Yea I've gathered this too. I don't see why people think our team can just roll out there and destroy MSU. It's not gonna happen. This is a let down spot for USC kinda like the UT game. And MSU is a really solid team!

I expect this to be a FG game that can go either way. If we don't cut out the fumbles and miscues on special teams and penalties it could be bad for us on homecoming.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Yea I've gathered this too. I don't see why people think our team can just roll out there and destroy MSU. It's not gonna happen. This is a let down spot for USC kinda like the UT game. And MSU is a really solid team!

I expect this to be a FG game that can go either way. If we don't cut out the fumbles and miscues on special teams and penalties it could be bad for us on homecoming.
I hope it doesn't pan out like that, but your right. if we don't stop shooting ourselves in the foot, it could be another nail-biter.

Also, we don't know the team will react with Dylan under center and Shaw is still injured. not sure what to think about our offense going into this one. Which one will show up? The arkie one or the Tenn and first three quarters of the Mizzou game?

Still a lot of questions about our team heading down the stretch.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

No one is taking Miss St lightly. We all know our chances of winning a SEC E again comes down to beating Miss St and beating Florida. We all know that. The team knows this for sure. I honestly don't care what our fans think, its the team that matters. The team is focused. I believe we come out and take care of business at home.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
Makindough
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 280
Makindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPit

have you watched this season...cant take ANY team lightly.
Makindough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
uscandy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Scared to death I see. Surprise, surprise! No wonder people make fun of us. Very weak minded fanbase.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote