CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
ReadR00ster
Latti
donbgamecock
GamecockStud
ConwayGamecock
Bobby Boucher
Regalcock
El Cid Ranger
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (6522)
BREAD (551)
Sindarius Thornwell (492)
Dress shirt help (383)
Best Child Acting Pe (319)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (217)
Well gameday just go (162)
South Carolina @ Aub (154)
Unsung Hero (108)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (81)
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Burger Kings angry whoppe
Happy Nowruz!
Gamecocks in the Majors/M
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Happy Birthday, Coach Spu
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2355
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material
Default If this situation plays out, where would we be?

Disclaimer: I understand this is a lot to ask but all of these are very possible.
After posting, I realized this looks really long but I did use a lot of spaces.

Week 11

Baylor beats OK
Oregon beats Stanford (by 10+)
Alabama beats LSU (even though we're ahead of LSU in BCS)

We move to #10 in BCS (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, Bay, clem, miz, aub, miami)

Week 12

Auburn beats UGA

We stay at #10 (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, Bay, clem, miz, aub, miami)

Week 13

OK st beats Baylor*

We move to #9 (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, clem, miz, aub, miami)

Week 14

We beat clem
aTm beats Mizzou
Alabam beats Auburn

We move to #6 (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, miami)

Champ Week

FSU beats Miami (For all intents and purposes puts us at #5)

We go to the SEC championship game since UGA lost to Auburn and Mizzou lost to aTm.

If we beat #1 Alabama, where would we move to in the BCS (assuming we have won out and UCF has won out to help our BCS standings)?

I'm thinking this would put us at #4 behind Oregon, FSU and Ohio St. At 2 losses, could we possibly jump any undefeated teams since we would have beaten #1 Alabama, #5? clemson, #10-12? UCF and lower ranked Mizzou?

I believe all the above to be very possible with the toughest being to beat Bama. We could possibly end up #4 in the BCS excluding bowl results.

To sum up the above (and think if these sound possible):
Baylor over Ok, Ore over Stan, Aub over UGA, Ok St/TT/TCU over Baylor, USC over clem, aTm over Mizzou, Bama over Aub, FSU over Miami, and the big one USC over Bama.

/Realm of possible

Highly unlikely scenarios: 2 out of Oregon, FSU and Ohio St slip up along the way. Oregon St over Oregon, UF over FSU, Michigan over Ohio St?

* Baylor could also lose to TT in Week 12 or @TCU in Week 14
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
USCGrad2003
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCGrad2003 has feathers coming inUSCGrad2003 has feathers coming inUSCGrad2003 has feathers coming in
Default Re: If this situation plays out, where would we be?

If that situation plays out... I'll be one happy Gamecock!

USCGrad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
uscGRAD04
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Even if we win out, including beating Bama, I think it's highly unlikely we get anything better than the Sugar, unless like you mention some of these undefeated teams lose.

Could you imagine the uproar if a two-loss SEC team jumps an undefeated Ohio State? Even though I think their schedule is a joke.

Oregon will have to play Stanford twice, so if they go undefeated they deserve to go. But there is a potential loss there.

FSU still has to play Florida and probably Miami (or maybe even Duke lol). So if they win out they will deserve to go. But there is a potential loss there for FSU.

I think we need to cheer hard for Auburn to beat UGA. Then if this doesn't happen, cheer for FSU and Oregon to win these above mentioned games to improve our chances for an at-large BCS berth. OH and we need to win out.

We need teams like Oklahoma, Miami and Stanford to kinda go away.

A lot of this talk is wishful thinking but how cool is it to finally be talking about this in the month of November.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACOCK View Post
Disclaimer: I understand this is a lot to ask but all of these are very possible.
After posting, I realized this looks really long but I did use a lot of spaces.

Week 11

Baylor beats OK

We move to #10 in BCS (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, Bay, clem, miz, aub, miami)

Week 12

Auburn beats UGA

We stay at #10 (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, Bay, clem, miz, aub, miami)

Week 13

OK st beats Baylor*

We move to #9 (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, clem, miz, aub, miami)

Week 14

We beat clem
aTm beats Mizzou
Alabam beats Auburn

We move to #6 (Teams above us Bama,Or,FSU, Oh St, miami)

Champ Week

FSU beats Miami (For all intents and purposes puts us at #5)

We go to the SEC championship game since UGA lost to Auburn and Mizzou lost to aTm.

If we beat #1 Alabama, where would we move to in the BCS (assuming we have won out and UCF has won out to help our BCS standings)?

I'm thinking this would put us at #4 behind Oregon, FSU and Ohio St. At 2 losses, could we possibly jump any undefeated teams since we would have beaten #1 Alabama, #5? clemson, #10-12? UCF and lower ranked Mizzou?

I believe all the above to be very possible with the toughest being to beat Bama. We could possibly end up #4 in the BCS excluding bowl results.

To sum up the above (and think if these sound possible):
Baylor over Ok, Ore over Stan, Aub over UGA, Ok St/TT/TCU over Baylor, USC over clem, aTm over Mizzou, Bama over Aub, FSU over Miami, and the big one USC over Bama.

/Realm of possible

Highly unlikely scenarios: 2 out of Oregon, FSU and Ohio St slip up along the way. Oregon St over Oregon, UF over FSU, Michigan over Ohio St?

* Baylor could also lose to TT in Week 12 or @TCU in Week 14

How you projected the results are probably how the oddsmakers will pick things to happen (except for us beating Bama). Problem is that someone will get upset along the line. The odds of all the favorites winning are still pretty good. But in this crazy year, we will have one Saturday before the end that will have all of us scratching our heads. It happens every year. I just hope we aren't the one upset. But I like where we are. I hate having to wait until Nov 30 for the ATM-Mizzou game. I believe that is the game that really decides our fate.

Last edited by henmania; 11-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
A lot of this talk is wishful thinking but how cool is it to finally be talking about this in the month of November.
^This and is why I went through this whole scenario. Just trying to figure out what is the best possible ending for us. Looks like best-case may be the Sugar Bowl with Oregon over FSU or vice versa and Ohio St losing in their bowl game and us winning and ending #2. Like you said, a lot of wishful thinking.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
jseal777
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1450
jseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervous

It's funny that the last year of the BCS could end with an undefeated Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, and Florida State. And we haven't even started talking about BCS busters. It will be interesting to see if these teams remain undefeated.
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
USC3027
Walk On

Male

USC3027 has hatched from the shell

I like the "what if" game.

What happens in this situation?

Auburn wins the iron bowl
Gators beat FSU
Stanford beats Oregon
Michigan St. beats OSU
Ok beats Baylor
We win out and win SEC championship game?

Who plays for it all?
USC3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
How you projected the results are probably how the oddsmakers will pick things to happen (except for us beating Bama). Problem is that someone will get upset along the line. The odds of all the favorites winning are still pretty good. But in this crazy year, we will have one Saturday before the end that will have all of us scratching our heads. It happens every year. I just hope we aren't the one upset.
This already happened and it was when we lost to a crappy Tennessee team. That's why we aren't in the drivers seat and are thinking up crazy scenarios to make our season end well.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

I don't see us as a 2 loss team jumping an undefeated FSU, Ohio State or Oregon.
Even if computers have us that's only 1/3rd of the bcs equation.
Harris and Coaches (human polls) will give 1-3 votes to those undefeated teams.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
This already happened and it was when we lost to a crappy Tennessee team. That's why we aren't in the drivers seat and are thinking up crazy scenarios to make our season end well.

So true. I felt at the UT game like I did at the Auburn game in 2011. I think Auburn bothered me more because we were at home and we played slightly worse.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

A 2 loss team with one of those losses being Tennessee will not play in the national championship game.

We could spoil 'Bama's run and play in the Sugar but right now that's about as high as we go.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACOCK View Post
Week 11

Baylor beats OK
Stanford has been the highest ranked 1-loss team the whole way. No reason to think they wouldn't be the highest ranked 2-loss team as well. I don't see us jumping them unless they get absolutely destroyed (30+), especially with us not playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Oregon will have to play Stanford twice, so if they go undefeated they deserve to go. But there is a potential loss there.
Oregon would not play Stanford twice. They're both in the PAC12 North.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC3027 View Post

Gators beat FSU
Stanford beats Oregon
Michigan St. beats OSU
Ok beats Baylor

Who plays for it all?
Does Oregon win the Pac12 in this scenario?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC3027 View Post

Gators beat FSU
Stanford beats Oregon
Michigan St. beats OSU
Ok beats Baylor

Who plays for it all?
Assuming Stanford wins the PAC12, I'd say between Stanford, Bama, and FSU....probably Stanford and Bama.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
The craziest thing in my scenario is us beating Bama. All of the other games are very possible.

Tell me which of these are crazy

Baylor over Ok, Ore over Stan, Aub over UGA, Ok St/TT/TCU over Baylor, USC over clem, aTm over Mizzou, Bama over Aub, FSU over Miami

Last edited by IMACOCK; 11-04-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Tell me which of these are crazy:
Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
USC3027
Walk On

Male

USC3027 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheorysc View Post
Assuming Stanford wins the PAC12, I'd say between Stanford, Bama, and FSU....probably Stanford and Bama.
Standford wins the PAC 12. Couldn't be bama on the othe side.
USC3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Winning out and getting help to get in the seccg is our best scenario to a BCS bowl...beat bama = guarantee. Lose to bama and it's a toss up if we get sugar.

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

How did we lose to UT? Still hurting over that.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
St. Louis Gamecock
Walk On

Male

St. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spurs

Guys, yesterday’s St Louis Post-Dispatch made a comment that if we and Mizzou both finished with two losses, then the tie-breaker goes to Mizzou due to having a better division record. Our two losses are within the East whereas they have just one (us!).

Does anyone know if that’s true?

Of course, last week’s Post-Dispatch mentioned we had the tougher schedule left because we played Auburn. So maybe it’s just the P-D!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

The OP's scenario sounds about right, but as someone mentioned there'll be at least 1 or 2 that go against the odds.

I just like the idea of us celebrating a Clem victory and Spurrier telling the team in the locker room we're heading back to Atlanta cause aTm just beat Mizzou.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote