CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
3MTA3
rosstheboss
Spurticus
bigdog2003
spareparts
Gyle41386
i29gman
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (4230)
Cunningham wants to (1062)
ESPN article on Clow (612)
Clemson Georgia Game (607)
Horseshoes has been (430)
Fumble party (336)
1964 World’s Fair (226)
New Led Zep releases (123)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (119)
Truly Inspiring (92)
2015 - Davon Durant
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Kaleb Kim
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB
ESPN article on Clowney -
Lattimore's return. An ar
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Name a Gamecock
2016 - Issac Nauta
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle

Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Mississippi State

It's nice to be home. After wandering in SEC road purgatory for 3 straight weeks we come home to the friendly confines of Williams-Brice. It's nice to finally be at a point in the SEC where we can not play a great game and still beat a team that has less talent than ours. In many ways this win was satisfying and frustrating all at the same time.

OFFENSE
QB:
B

Criticizing Connor almost seems like blasphemy. I mean, the guy did throw 4 TD passes. However, I think Shaw is hurt more than he likes to let on, and his mobility is suffering. Over the last two games I've seen him get caught from behind more than once, and take a sack where he would have eluded a guy. He's a warrior, no doubt, but trust me if I see his lack of mobility opposing DCs do as well. Here's hoping the week off does him some good.

RB: A
There isn't much more I can say about Davis. He's matured into a complete back, and has done so in record time. Carson is getting more and more comfortable in his role. It'll be interesting to see how getting Wilds back effects the rotation.

WR/TE: A
Not the best game by our WRs, but we also didn't ask them to do a whole lot. Our TEs combined for just 2 catches and Bruce and Byrd only had 3 catches between them. It was really nice to see Shaq get into the mix more and pull down 2 TD grabs. On his second one he showed how powerful a weapon he can be if he focuses.

OL: B
This unit has done really well all year, but I felt this was their worse game. Clayton struggled at times with consistency, and too many assignments were missed due to MSU's stunts. MSU does not have the best D-line we'll face (that will be in two weeks) so it worries me a little that we couldn't open up wider lanes for the backs or give Connor more protection.

DEFENSE
DL: B

Solid game. Got a fair amount of penetration and Kelcy is starting to take over games by himself. Clowney had perhaps his worst game of the season, but still blew up numerous plays. Let Prescott take off too often, but hey, it's what he does.

LB/Spur: A
Perhaps their best game of the season Golightly was everywhere, laying the wood and shedding tackles. For a moment I thought DJ has suited up again. Skai Moore is going to be very, very good for us.

CB/S: A
Solid game by the secondary. Gave up too much cushion at times in the zone, but never let MSU get into a rhythm.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: B

Fry continues to develop into a solid kicker. The punt game was better, but not where it needs to be.

Spurrier insists that the team does actually practice special teams.

COACHING
Overall:
B

Overall we had decent game plans on both sides of the ball and when we executed we were unstoppable. However, the 4th quarter mystified me. Coach, if you want fans to stay, how about you guys play all four as well? After the 3rd quarter we were headed to a blow out win, only to take our foot off the gas again. Thankfully our defense forced enough turnovers to negate any kind of momentum MSU could muster or we would have been looking at another 4th quarter sweat-it-out type game. In the second quarter we had 3 straight 3 and outs and generated 13 total yards the entire quarter. In the 4th quarter we had 21. That means that we got over 270 yards of offense in just 2 quarters. That type of inconsistency is maddening and is on the coaches in terms of playcalling and execution. It's frustrating to know that we could be blowing people out like 'Bama and Oregon only to see them right there with us at half time or in the 4th quarter. I was listening to the Mizzou game on the radio and I totally agree with what one of their announcers said, "I'd rather be accused of running up the score than letting someone hang around and then beat you." It was just cruel irony that they happened to be playing Tennessee when he said that.

To top it off, why didn't we play Dylan in the 4th? If we had decided that we were just going to coast why not give Dylan a chance to get comfortable? Why risk further injury to Shaw? I just don't get it.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
B

We won. It was great being back home. The crowd was just so-so, I'm hoping we make things WAY more inhospitable to Florida in two weeks. We get them with their backs firmly against the wall.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Enjoy the week off. Don't think about SEC East scenarios. Have fun.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Mississippi State

Nothing snarky to add. Solid game
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

1-11 on third down conversions.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yes, our execution was bad as a whole.

I should dock all the offensive players a full letter grade just for that.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I saw Diggs in on a number of good tackles also. Diggs is a bigger spur.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Diggs played very well. I also didn't give the defensive guys enough credit for creating turnovers.

Really was the difference in the game.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

I would knock a letter grade off most of those. We gave up over 400 yards, barely got 300 ourselves. We went 1-11 on 3rd down. MSU was around 50% on 3rd down. We still can't punt all that well and have no return game. Shaw wasn't at his best. If we weren't +5 in turnovers the game would have came down to the final few minutes as to who would have won. It was still a good win for us, and our D is getting better as the season goes on.
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar90 View Post
I would knock a letter grade off most of those. We gave up over 400 yards, barely got 300 ourselves. We went 1-11 on 3rd down. MSU was around 50% on 3rd down. We still can't punt all that well and have no return game. Shaw wasn't at his best. If we weren't +5 in turnovers the game would have came down to the final few minutes as to who would have won. It was still a good win for us, and our D is getting better as the season goes on.
Too generous...our offense is not looking great. Total yards passing were 147 with 73 yards coming from the big pass to Shaq and Davis. So on 8 pass plays we had 74 yards. We had 14 offensive drives, 3 went over 25 yards and 8 went for less than 10 yards. I also know people will think the yards were skewed b/c of turnovers, but the three drives from their end of the field went -2, 23, 25 yards for FG, TD, FG.

To compare, Miss St had 15 drives, 8 went over 25 yards, 3 drives were less than 10 yards.

We were more than fortunate that they had the turnovers.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
I know MSU was close to 400 yards of offense, but I don't think they actually got to 400. Actually, I just looked, and MSU ended up with 385 yards. That's still not very good for our defense to give up that many yards to MSU, but I just wanted to point out a slight correction.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

I think a B on special teams is generous. Fry is the bright spot...Ard is inconsistent...usually the first kickoff is short or out of bounds...then there is the line drive kickoff off the up mans chest...wtf? Punt and kickoff returns is better but only a c in my book....and then there is our punting....it is like white font on cocky chat.

Great write up as always...

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Defense: B+
Offense: C-
Coaching:C+

Overall: C+...The offense looks worn out.But we did what we had to do. We will be better for the Gators.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
they only had 250 yards through 3 quarters which means they got 150 yards in the 4th quarter when the game had already been decided.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

It's interesting, the offensive woes don't really make any sense to me. Other than Shaw being dinged up, we're pretty healthy. Our OL has been beast all year and Davis is the best back in the SEC (look it up).

We shouldn't be struggling right now, yet against UT, Mizzou, and MSU we had long stretches where the offense just went away. Luckily for us the defense has improved, because the defense that started the year would have resulted in an 0-3 record against those teams instead of a 2-1 record.

I think a lot of it has to do with play calling, although player focus is certainly just as culpable. Shaw missed wide open receivers consistently throughout the game, and our TEs have had a case of the drops recently.

If we want to win out like everyone is predicting, our offense needs to go back to executing the whole game.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Yearofthegamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

I'd probably grade the defense a little higher. The turnovers really helped make up for the sad 3rd down percentage on offense. Everything else, spot on!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Yearofthegamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
I think a B on special teams is generous. Fry is the bright spot...Ard is inconsistent...usually the first kickoff is short or out of bounds...then there is the line drive kickoff off the up mans chest...wtf? Punt and kickoff returns is better but only a c in my book....and then there is our punting....it is like white font on cocky chat.

Great write up as always...
I've always wondered if it would work to kick a rocket right at one of the front guys. Catch them off guard, they touch it and our guys get it.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
I've always wondered if it would work to kick a rocket right at one of the front guys. Catch them off guard, they touch it and our guys get it.
Yeah, I've wondered the same thing for a long time. In fact, when the kick hit the guy Saturday, I looked at my brother and said, "I wonder if that was intentional."
Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
BrutusJ
Two Deep

Male

BrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudlyBrutusJ is crowing loudly

Defense: A-
Offense: C-
Special Teams: C+
Coaching: C
BrutusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #18
JoeMorrisonLives
4-Star

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
It's nice to be home. After wandering in SEC road purgatory for 3 straight weeks we come home to the friendly confines of Williams-Brice. It's nice to finally be at a point in the SEC where we can not play a great game and still beat a team that has less talent than ours. In many ways this win was satisfying and frustrating all at the same time.

OFFENSE
QB:
B

Criticizing Connor almost seems like blasphemy. I mean, the guy did throw 4 TD passes. However, I think Shaw is hurt more than he likes to let on, and his mobility is suffering. Over the last two games I've seen him get caught from behind more than once, and take a sack where he would have eluded a guy. He's a warrior, no doubt, but trust me if I see his lack of mobility opposing DCs do as well. Here's hoping the week off does him some good.

RB: A
There isn't much more I can say about Davis. He's matured into a complete back, and has done so in record time. Carson is getting more and more comfortable in his role. It'll be interesting to see how getting Wilds back effects the rotation.

WR/TE: A
Not the best game by our WRs, but we also didn't ask them to do a whole lot. Our TEs combined for just 2 catches and Bruce and Byrd only had 3 catches between them. It was really nice to see Shaq get into the mix more and pull down 2 TD grabs. On his second one he showed how powerful a weapon he can be if he focuses.

OL: B
This unit has done really well all year, but I felt this was their worse game. Clayton struggled at times with consistency, and too many assignments were missed due to MSU's stunts. MSU does not have the best D-line we'll face (that will be in two weeks) so it worries me a little that we couldn't open up wider lanes for the backs or give Connor more protection.

DEFENSE
DL: B

Solid game. Got a fair amount of penetration and Kelcy is starting to take over games by himself. Clowney had perhaps his worst game of the season, but still blew up numerous plays. Let Prescott take off too often, but hey, it's what he does.

LB/Spur: A
Perhaps their best game of the season Golightly was everywhere, laying the wood and shedding tackles. For a moment I thought DJ has suited up again. Skai Moore is going to be very, very good for us.

CB/S: A
Solid game by the secondary. Gave up too much cushion at times in the zone, but never let MSU get into a rhythm.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: B

Fry continues to develop into a solid kicker. The punt game was better, but not where it needs to be.

Spurrier insists that the team does actually practice special teams.

COACHING
Overall:
B

Overall we had decent game plans on both sides of the ball and when we executed we were unstoppable. However, the 4th quarter mystified me. Coach, if you want fans to stay, how about you guys play all four as well? After the 3rd quarter we were headed to a blow out win, only to take our foot off the gas again. Thankfully our defense forced enough turnovers to negate any kind of momentum MSU could muster or we would have been looking at another 4th quarter sweat-it-out type game. In the second quarter we had 3 straight 3 and outs and generated 13 total yards the entire quarter. In the 4th quarter we had 21. That means that we got over 270 yards of offense in just 2 quarters. That type of inconsistency is maddening and is on the coaches in terms of playcalling and execution. It's frustrating to know that we could be blowing people out like 'Bama and Oregon only to see them right there with us at half time or in the 4th quarter. I was listening to the Mizzou game on the radio and I totally agree with what one of their announcers said, "I'd rather be accused of running up the score than letting someone hang around and then beat you." It was just cruel irony that they happened to be playing Tennessee when he said that.

To top it off, why didn't we play Dylan in the 4th? If we had decided that we were just going to coast why not give Dylan a chance to get comfortable? Why risk further injury to Shaw? I just don't get it.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
B

We won. It was great being back home. The crowd was just so-so, I'm hoping we make things WAY more inhospitable to Florida in two weeks. We get them with their backs firmly against the wall.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Enjoy the week off. Don't think about SEC East scenarios. Have fun.
It might just be because he plays spur, but Golightly made me think more of Antonio Allen.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Even though were at home, this team was tired. Coming off an emotional win at Missouri. 3 straight road games. Wasn't perfect but did what we needed.

Bye week comes at a good time. Rest up, improve, and take care of Florida. (And hope for a UGA loss!)
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Yeah, I considered the fact that there might be an emotional let-down after the Missouri win. One thing Spurrier does well is keep his team pretty even. The bye week does come at a good time. Get Connor healthy, scheme for Florida for two weeks and play out of our minds against them. Other than helping out our bowl selection if we don't make it to the SEC Championship game, the Clemson game doesn't really do anything for us one way or the other.

The team should look at Florida like a one game season.