CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
MisterClowney
gamecockgal
Gamecocks1137
spareparts
B-G
MEL
The Yancey
Ace suspended 4 game (2047)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1781)
watching the Alabama (550)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (428)
A good friend of min (380)
Sidney Rice Retiring (374)
Dan Patrick Show - P (319)
ESPN Insider (296)
Phil Steele's Colleg (202)
Pictures of older Co (153)
Bonefish Grill
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Sidney Rice Retiring From
Gamecock Showcase Attende
2015 - Christian Pellage
FAIRGROUNDS PARKING GREEN
Tenn vs WVU in Charlotte
Name a Gamecock
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Missing that annual relea

Old 11-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
Crazy_Gamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 282
Crazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Saving Private Ryan

I know there are a lot of threads about the greatest movies and which ones can be rewatched, but I didn't see a specific thread about this movie. After all these years, I can still watch this movie from start to finish without stopping. It's a powerful movie, especially with Veteran's Day upon us.

I can't be the only person that cries at the end of this movie, every time. I'm not afraid to admit that. When he's talking to Tom Hanks' grave, and then looks at his wife and says, "Tell me I've led a good life. Tell me I'm a good man.", it gets me every damn time.
Crazy_Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material
Default Re: Saving Private Ryan

That's how I feel at the end of Act Of Valor. It's my favorite military movie, and the ending makes me cry like a baby. We Were Soldiers has some tear jerking moments too.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984

My grandfather who served in WWII was able to see this just before he died. He cried as well. I remember him saying that it was one of the few WWII movies he saw that truly recreated what most of it was like. It will always be one of my favorites.
TaterHater1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I love Veterans day. I love when we have the assemblies at our school. I used to live 4 houses down from a WWII pow. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He had an excerpt in a book about pow survivors from WWII. They read a part of it at our assembly yesterday. It was awesome. One of the things that struck me about it was the part of when the tanks rescued them and the chaplain told the pows that he knew they had made promises to God. The chaplain told them not to forget those. This guy spent 51 years as a preacher and hospital chaplain for the VA.

Last edited by 2000grad; 11-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
GUNTRUCK06
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
GUNTRUCK06 has feathers coming inGUNTRUCK06 has feathers coming inGUNTRUCK06 has feathers coming in

I'm the same way. I've been to Iraq and to Afghanistan and served with some outstanding soldiers. Some of those didn't make it home so remember those guys several times each year.

Yeah, that ending of the movie gets me every time.

Another one I can watch from start to finish is the Band of Brother series.
GUNTRUCK06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
chooker18
Walk On

Male

chooker18 is sharpening his clawschooker18 is sharpening his clawschooker18 is sharpening his clawschooker18 is sharpening his claws

Blackhawk Down gets me every time. Guys put in hopeless situations but do it because its the right thing to do.
chooker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Harry Cock
Recruit

Male

Harry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his claws

Blackhawk down
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator

When they are on... I cant help but watch them
Harry Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
WakeboardingCock
Formerly MillerTime843

Male

WakeboardingCock has hatched from the shell

My Uncle Lamar, served in WWII and landed on Omaha beach. I remember watching it at his house and when they showed them in the Landing craft he got up and walked away! So, very bad memories for him!
WakeboardingCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

My commander made all of us watch that movie back when it first came out. That opening scene of Omaha Beach was an eye opener for me as a soldier. It gave me a greater perspective of what the men before me accomplished, and what it means to bite back fears and overcome adversity.

There's a scene towards the end that always pisses me off, but I won't go into it since my view on it can seem a bit harsh.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cock View Post
Blackhawk down
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator

When they are on... I cant help but watch them
I love that movie.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I used to have a neighbor that was in D-Day. Drove one of the landing craft boats. Kept dropping off troops on shore, rounding up the dead and wounded and headed back to the ships. Back and forth, over and over again. Under heavy fire the entire time.

Can't imagine the guts that took (everyone involved with D-day). My neighbor would talk on and on about it. He was old, hard of hearing, and repeated himself a lot. But it was riveting to listen to him talk about it.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Hank's character was based on a South Carolinian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_D._Howie

I had an uncle at Omaha Beach. Just as he got off his landing craft, his best friend was killed right beside him.

A couple weeks later, in the hedgerow field territory, his unit had a sharp fight with the Germans. A grenade went off near him, wounding him and knocked him out. He came to, for a few seconds, and the last thing he saw before passing out again was a Panzer tank coming straight at him where he lay.

The next time he woke up, he was being carried in a litter by German soldiers. Still groggy, he thought he was a POW, but it turned out they were German prisoners carrying him back to the rear of the American lines.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardingCock View Post
My Uncle Lamar, served in WWII and landed on Omaha beach. I remember watching it at his house and when they showed them in the Landing craft he got up and walked away! So, very bad memories for him!
I heard this happened to many of the veterans watching SPR. I can certainly understand as I believe it to be the most realistic depiction of warfare in cinema. I can not imagine the emotions these men had to overcome to accomplish their mission. Truly courageous and personally inspiring.