CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
ccured
Thenardier
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1916)
Can Tennessee get to (1300)
ESPN Article on HBC (1074)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (863)
Spread vs. aTm (808)
2 Crazy things (805)
Lindy's top 100 for (763)
Chick Redefines the (742)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (637)
The Bama series (523)
Name a Gamecock
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Get it while it's hot
2 Crazy things
Playstation 4
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina

Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Juicer

Does anyone have a juicer or have you juiced in the past? Good brands to recommend? I'm thinking of asking for one for the holidays and wanted some good input. I'm thinking about a Vitamix but am unsure.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Juicer

I have juiced on and off for decades. Jaycee does too. ATM I have this one: http://www.powerjuicer.com/home/. It is a good basket type juicer. I have had it for a couple of years and it has given me no problems. Like all juicers clean up is a real PITA. That is the reason I don't juice as much these days although I really need to get back to it. Prior to this I had a Champion masticating juicer. http://championjuicer.com/ I really liked it and I miss it. It lasted for over 30 years. It would juice just about anything and do so continuously without a need to stop and clean it out. It had attachments to juice wheatgrass and to grind grain as well.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Thanks for the input I kind of figured you would be one of the main responders haha. I really want to do this in an effort to totally take control of my health and get myself to the next level physically. I'm working out pretty good but my nutrition needs more consistency. I think I can better achieve consistency by juicing.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
chi3fcocksman
Fanatic

Male

CockyCash: 100302
chi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudly

Got juice?Name:  markmcgwire.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
UncleCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
UncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his combUncleCock is developing his comb

I use the Vitamix 3 -5 times a week. I got it at Sam's Club in Harbison, have had it about 1.5 years and has held up very well. This machine will do everything from making hot soup to making homemade ice cream.
UncleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

I bought a Vitamix earlier this year and I love it. One thing to keep in mind is that it is not a juicer, but a high powered blender. Juicers are for fasting, while the Vitamix will blend the pulp and other fiber into the smoothie, giving you all the nutrients.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
I bought a Vitamix earlier this year and I love it. One thing to keep in mind is that it is not a juicer, but a high powered blender. Juicers are for fasting, while the Vitamix will blend the pulp and other fiber into the smoothie, giving you all the nutrients.
Good thought about the nutrients and this is why I am leaning toward the Vitamix. I don't have much issue with taste as long as what I'm consuming is good for me. Also, just mixing fruits and vegetables I should have no problem with the taste.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

We have the Jack La Lanne. It works great but as Yancey said the biggest issue is cleaning the damn thing. It's a lot of work for one or two glasses of juice.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Magic bullet express

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Question for you folks. I have a guy at work trying to sell me the JuicePlus supplements. He says it's pure juice turned into a capsule.

I am sure there are benefits of that as opposed to taking vitamins. But I would just rather eat the whole fruit.

Instead of juicing the orange, carrot, or whatever - why is that better then eating the whole thing.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Question for you folks. I have a guy at work trying to sell me the JuicePlus supplements. He says it's pure juice turned into a capsule.

I am sure there are benefits of that as opposed to taking vitamins. But I would just rather eat the whole fruit.

Instead of juicing the orange, carrot, or whatever - why is that better then eating the whole thing.
It is easier and more convenient to juice. You eat a wider range of fruits and vegetables and get the full range of vitamins with that.

I would be skeptical of whatever your co-worker is trying to sell you. If you juice or use a vitamix or whatever you know exactly what you are putting into and getting out of the machine.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
I agree that the Vitamix is a phenomenal blender. It can do things that no other blender or machine can. I disagree about the juicer not having all of the nutrients. What the juicers do not have is fiber. Juicers are far more nutritionally dense. Separating the juice from the fiber is exactly and precisely what a juicer does. That is why I liked the Champion. The fiber that came out the end of that thing would be almost bone dry.

Also, while a person can do a juice fast and many times this is a good thing for people with attacks of diverticulitis and such I think that for purposes of general fasting you would want the fiber. I would feel fuller with the juice from the Vitamix. When Marie was on chemo she had very little appetite. The more pure juice was far better for her than what would have come from the blender.

In the end they really are different machines with different uses. There are good rationales for having both. The combination of the Champion for juicing/grinding and the Vitamix for pulverizing/blending would be ideal.

#ModForMod
Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

So I looked up the price of a Vitamix and was kind of shocked at the prices... I was thinking somewhere around $150-200... whoops, I was quite a bit off.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
So I looked up the price of a Vitamix and was kind of shocked at the prices... I was thinking somewhere around $150-200... whoops, I was quite a bit off.
My suggestion to you is to get an inexpensive but decent blender, one that will crush ice. There are many uses for these. You need one to make smoothies sine juicers can't do soft things like bananas and avocados. Then get an inexpensive juicer. Try using them for 6 months. You may very well find that they are just too much trouble in which case you are not out much money. Then again you may find that you love it and can upgrade either or both at that time.

#ModForMod
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Consumer Reports rated the Ninja Blender almost as highly as the Vitamix. They had pretty similar ratings and the Ninja would be in your price range. I bought one for my kid and she has been happy with it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post

Juice plus isn't bad but it has been said that it doesnt really not contain as much vitamins as it says on the label.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
The Flash
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
The Flash is learning to peckThe Flash is learning to peck

Quote:
Good thought about the nutrients and this is why I am leaning toward the Vitamix. I don't have much issue with taste as long as what I'm consuming is good for me. Also, just mixing fruits and vegetables I should have no problem with the taste.
Quote:
The nutrients are in the JUICE not in the pulp. I use the Omega juicer, very expensive ($275) but pure juice, no pulp from spinach, apple, ginger, cucumber, carrot, etc.
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi3fcocksman View Post
Exactly what I thought when I read the title.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
The nutrients are in the JUICE not in the pulp. I use the Omega juicer, very expensive ($275) but pure juice, no pulp from spinach, apple, ginger, cucumber, carrot, etc.
Pretty sure that info is wrong. The skin is actually what contains most of the nutrients, flavonoids, etc.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Pretty sure that info is wrong. The skin is actually what contains most of the nutrients, flavonoids, etc.
He is correct. The juicer removes the nutrients from the skin and ejects the fiber.

#ModForMod