CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
roosterdude21
acejrock
NJCocky14
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8001)
Super-Efficient Ax (323)
South Carolina @ Aub (281)
BREAD (245)
Starz Black Sails (168)
Dress shirt help (167)
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Post Pics of Soldiers and Military Life

That you know are have lived.

A happy Veterans Day to those who serve and served.

It always feels weird to say "Happy" Veterans Day but I remind myself annually that is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.

So in tribute to our family and friends who have worn the nation's uniforms, I ask that you post pictures of your service men and women or even pictures relating to military life.

P.S. - I also want to shout out* the friends, family and citizens who provide support, love and understanding for our troops. You are the backbone of America's fighting force and the people we actually serve. You make home worth defending and coming back to. I talked to some Vets from Vietnam on Saturday and a couple of them remarked on what they came home to, and how grateful that generations that followed worked hard to improve and uphold the image of the American Soldier. I also had the unfortunate honor of being the Casualty Assistance Officer for a fallen Soldier in my unit. The Soldier was only 24 when he passed away and he has a younger sister serving in Afghanistan currently. He died on Fort Bragg in front of his home. It was tough but I am glad I was able to receive the family here and meet them and try my best to convey how much Donnie meant to the unit and the influence that he had and will continue to have on those that served with him and those that knew him. But now I am rabbling off on a tangient.

Let's begin..I know it is quite late in the day but there is no rule that says this thread will only be relevant for a day.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Post Pics of Soldiers and Military Life

This is my friend Paige and her brother.

This is her in the desert.

After discharge she got her MSW from SoCal and now works in the Bay area with an organization that works with homeless female vets.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Another couple of Paige pics.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

My grandpa! When he first joined the Navy

And a few years later when stationed in Italy. He sent this picture to his mother and wrote her a note in the top left

I'm currently on the hunt for pictures of my other grandpa (Air Force), aunt (also Air Force) and stepdad (Army)

Last edited by ktguen; 11-12-2013 at 12:31 AM.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Great friend of mine from college. Was killed by a suicide bomber in Afganastan last August. Miss him.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I don't have the pic on me but my grandmother's brother was a pilot in WWII and gunned down in combat. Also, my grandfather served as a medic in WWII and has some cool war stories. My father was in the Navy for 30 years although he was never deployed. He mostly performed foot surgeries at Quantico.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

My Great Uncle in front of his B-17 in WWII

Don't have pics for:

Great Uncle Earnest(brother of pictured above): was in forward recon during the Battle of the Bulge. We don't really have many pics of him in his uniform because he really didn't like talking/remembering his time at war and he died fairly shortly after the war ended.

Great Great Grandfather Henry: Served during WWI as a combat engineer and was on the front lines for much of the war. My grandmother would often talk about how he had a pocket bible with a bullet hole in it that he claimed to have saved his life while in France. His actual uniform is here below. We found it in a local museum and they let us have it- it is possible the most uncomfortable material they could have used, but I guess it kept them warm

Great Uncle Albert(other side of family): was in the Navy during WWII and served on a Submarine. He actually invented a type of reverse osmosis machine while they were patrolling the Philippines(I think) and ran out of fresh water and for whatever reason they couldn't drink the water on land.

Great Grandfather Albert(father of above): drafted into WWI{I think} and served in France during the heat of the war.. he contracted pneumonia and they thought he had died, so they left him outside in the bitter winter for a week, or so, only to find that he was still alive, so they brought him in and he pulled through, but was mentally injured for the rest of his life.

Grandfather Frankie(son of above listed): Served 20+ years in the State (Army) Guard as a tank commander between the 1950s-1970s

Sorry I don't have many pictures to contribute at the moment. My hard drive recently crashed, so I don't have the records I used to. If I come across any of the others I'll come back and post. I know it's a lot of people, but I have to represent the family the best I can
Give a larbage, throw out your garbage.
Metalrush24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984

My dad in his USMC days. He retired a Major about 17 years ago.

My Papa about 60 years ago.

TaterHater1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
sharpstick
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
sharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talons

My brother while in the Air Force.
Attached Images

sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

CockyCash: 200
WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

This is me doing great things for my country, MURICA!

WE_ARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

This is the USS Hobson, a destroyer/minesweeper. My uncle was aboard this ship in April 1952 when it was cut in two by the aircraft carrier Wasp while doing maneuvers near the Azores. As he was going under for the third time he reached out and by the grace of God grabbed something or he would have been one of the drowning victims. For 2-3 years after this incident whenever he blew his nose he blew up oil.

http://www.oocities.org/usdestroyer/hobson1.html

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material