CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
Pw00132
gamecockgal
Badazcock
Polls (3691)
Gameday Sign Ideas (3111)
Gameday in Columbia (3094)
Clem5on fans are bes (2480)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1762)
ST coach fired this (1590)
SEC East Race as of (1499)
Let's talk about Mat (1095)
Hardest Schedule (1041)
UK fans and local sp (884)
Gameday Sign Ideas
UK fans and local sports
ST coach fired this week
Name a Gamecock
Dylan Thompson's passing
Celebrity Guest Picker...
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
More David Williams Pleas
Rank the SEC starting QBs
Most inspirational post-g

Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
palanca
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
palanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervous
Default timeliness of play calling

Last game watched Shaw visibly frustrated by delays in getting word from the sideline. He respectfully clapped his hands at them on several downs.

Ever notice that there seems to be a coefficient between the time it takes to decide on a play against its chance to succeed?

Like a bad joke, over-explained, the longer it takes for a decision to come from the sideline, the more often the play fails.

Also, I notice that Spurrier seems the most upset of all during this period of indecision, and even more so after the failure, as if he had nothing to do with it.

If I see my qb boat-anchored by indecision, I would be inclined to throw my headset at myself.

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER, PLAYCALLERS!!!!!!!!
palanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit
Default Re: timeliness of play calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by palanca View Post
Last game watched Shaw visibly frustrated by delays in getting word from the sideline. He respectfully clapped his hands at them on several downs.

Ever notice that there seems to be a coefficient between the time it takes to decide on a play against its chance to succeed?

Like a bad joke, over-explained, the longer it takes for a decision to come from the sideline, the more often the play fails.

Also, I notice that Spurrier seems the most upset of all during this period of indecision, and even more so after the failure, as if he had nothing to do with it.

If I see my qb boat-anchored by indecision, I would be inclined to throw my headset at myself.

And it is only USC you noticed doing this?
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Good point, seems like a lot of QBs seem "lost in America" staring at the sidelines.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

good points.....also, I don't recall ever seeing the word coefficient in a football thread.....lol.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:

Here Here
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Although this is a problem with Zone read.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Shaw is a senior - let him change the plays or run what is sent in. I think execution is more important than having the "perfect" play because everyone will be on the same page.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Shaw is a senior - let him change the plays or run what is sent in. I think execution is more important than having the "perfect" play because everyone will be on the same page.
I love watching Peyton Manning change a play. He grabs RBs and points to every LB while screaming at the OL. He hands off to the dive back and the play gains one yard.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Steve Spurrier will call the plays whenever Steve Spurrier wants to, damnit.

But I agree. We have horrible clock management. The worst of any road team I've seen - at least in conference. We never take a last second timeout when we can't get a play off on time. Always a delay of game. It cost us big time against Tennessee. Very frustrating to say the least.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

well maybe one day players will have miniheadsets fastened inside the helmuts with a small earpiece so they don't have to keep looking at the sidelines and wasting time. its just a matter of time.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We finally have a QB who is smarter than our coaches...seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Although this is a problem with Zone read.
So you're saying they have a problem calling this play (you do realize the zone-read is a play)?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycock View Post
well maybe one day players will have miniheadsets fastened inside the helmuts with a small earpiece so they don't have to keep looking at the sidelines and wasting time. its just a matter of time.
What good is a headset if they wait until the last minute to call the play?

I think they should have a rule...no play by the 0:15 mark, the QB gets to call it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
It cost us big time against Tennessee. Very frustrating to say the least.
Yes it did...that's because they tried to get fancy and do something different than what they did on the two previous drives where we rammed it down the field.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....just win!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I think one of the "things" that you get - when you get an evil genius for a coach - is that there are just too many things firing around in his head that SOMETIMES he gets in his own way.

But you know what? I've been critical from time to time of his play calling - getting plays off with 1 second on the play clock (which allows the defenses to time their launch); his misuse of time outs from time to time (especially at the end of games) and not remembering that he had Mike Davis on his team during most of the Tennessee game...

HOWEVER, I've FINALLY resolved myself (it took WAY too long) that SPURRIER is the guy making $3M+ a year to coach our team. He's guided us through recruiting, coaching hires and coaching games to the point that we EXPECT to win championships. We no longer HOPE to.

There is no question that if there were some kind of computer program that could present the exact same game variables to Coach Spurrier, Coach Saban and Coach Meyer (Urban) - that ALL THREE would call the games differently. All three would make mistakes and do things differently than our fan base would.

We all (me included) are perfect at calling football games right? That's what makes football (especially college football) so damn entertaining.

So all that said, I've finally resolved myself to just sit back and enjoy the ride that is "Spurrier and Company" and I'll still bitch and moan a bit...but the man isn't going to change at this point in his career. So we will occasionally have to weather a moment or two every game or at least each season when he just has too many play options going on in his head to make a quick call. He's sometimes like a schizophrenic coach who makes a call and then second guesses himself on the fly. Sometimes those occasions will bite him (and us) in the ass...but most often we'll get a win and much to talk about.

Enjoy the ride...and Go Cocks.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
IslandCock
Go! Fight! Win! Kick ASS!

Male

CockyCash: 13701490
IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly

I think the biggest problem with the call getting in late is that it gives the defenders a jump. If the play clock is at 5 seconds when Connor gets under center or ready for the snap, there is zero opportunity for a hard count. The whole defensive line and anyone blitzing has a head start.
IslandCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

This was my point with a post made last week about helment audio. Tired of all the delay of game penalties ,wasting time out ,poor clock managment , side line confusion. The opponet knows SOS clock managment ,wait till the clock hits1. It bites us in the ass every game.I know what youre thinking ,SOS makes 3+ mil a year. I forgot to mail my resume. Untill NCAA decideds to come into the 21st century we will deal with it.
highpockets12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

My issue w our play calling is that we have a "by committee" approach. Unless things have changed recently. Basically if SOS wants a run play, Elliott makes the call as to which run we use. Then if it's a pass play SOS wants, Jr makes the call as to which pass play we use. You don't have time for that many brains to work together. It causes delay of game penalties, rushed plays, etc...
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
What good is a headset if they wait until the last minute to call the play?

I think they should have a rule...no play by the 0:15 mark, the QB gets to call it.
this may not sound realistic but with the audio headset they can change the play five seconds before the count gets to zero assuming ALL the players have them...not just the qb.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

It really showed how bad it is in the UT game. As loud as it is in that stadium, we're still trying to change every play at the line. Makes no sense.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

A couple of years ago, plays were being called "by committee". It was creating horrendous confusion.

That has ended, I believe.

Anyone know what the actual process is now?

It seems to have improved remarkably, but there is still room for more improvement.