CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
crowcutta
2014 Subway Classic: (2154)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1648)
Former Gamecock root (1479)
Franks boy's are pla (1369)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (702)
Bruce!!! (627)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (613)
Kentucky is dominati (585)
Question for those w (501)
Decommitment from Texas A
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default 2013 Doak Walker Award (MD28?)

The award is presented annually to the nation's top running back.

Nominations for the award will be accepted through October with the finalists announced on Nov. 25. The winner will be announced on Dec. 12.

Mike Davis is in the running for the award. He'll have to put up good numbers from here on out to win. If we go to ATL and he has a good game, that should greatly increase his chances.

His receiving yards could be what sets him apart from the rest of the guys. Also playing well in games with a lot of significance goes a long way in winning this award.

Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb
Default Re: 2013 Doak Walker Award (MD28?)

Mike Davis is a beast..... simple as that. He doesn't need to win any awards to get anymore respect from me! Just saying

It would be nice if he won something though. He really really deserves more recognition than he gets.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

I think he's got a reasonable chance of winning this award.

Would love to see him get it.

2013 Doak Walker Award

2014 Heisman Award Winner
Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
1982Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I think he's got a reasonable chance of winning this award.

Would love to see him get it.

2013 Doak Walker Award

2014 Heisman Award Winner

Saw a top 5 list for this year's Heisman last night. Mike Davis is sitting at #5 which is awesome considering he wasn't even on anyone's radar at the beginning of the season. Performance matters and it's paying off for him. By the way, Tajh Boyd's not even a remote mention anymore- again, results matter!
1982Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982Gamecock View Post
Saw a top 5 list for this year's Heisman last night. Mike Davis is sitting at #5 which is awesome considering he wasn't even on anyone's radar at the beginning of the season. Performance matters and it's paying off for him. By the way, Tajh Boyd's not even a remote mention anymore- again, results matter!
I just don't see a RB winning it this year, but being that far up the list right now is great.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

he's 11th in rushing which will hurt him, but only 5 of those backs are in bcs conferences and he compares favorably to those backs.

this is mike's case, no game under 115 yards from scrimmage. the consistency in the sec mentioned in the thread i made a couple days ago, longest scrimmage streak of 130+ yards in the sec since 2000. only one game of less than 6 yards per play, every other candidate has at least two. only melvin gordon from wisconsin is averaging more yards per play. in yards per carry only gordon and abdullah from nebraska are averaging more per carry.

he's deserving and at this point i dont see how anyone could have him any lower than 2nd team all american.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
he's 11th in rushing which will hurt him, but only 5 of those backs are in bcs conferences and he compares favorably to those backs.

this is mike's case, no game under 115 yards from scrimmage. the consistency in the sec mentioned in the thread i made a couple days ago, longest scrimmage streak of 130+ yards in the sec since 2000. only one game of less than 6 yards per play, every other candidate has at least two. only melvin gordon from wisconsin is averaging more yards per play. in yards per carry only gordon and abdullah from nebraska are averaging more per carry.

he's deserving and at this point i dont see how anyone could have him any lower than 2nd team all american.
Those are good stats in his favor. I think if he has great games in the last three, he could win it.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Cockyteg
Banned

Male

Cockyteg is learning to peck

it would be nice to see that. who leads the ncaa in rushing though?
Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/...01/sort01.html
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/...28/sort01.html

those are the pertinent stat categories for backs. andre williams from bc leads in rushing, kadeem carey from arizona is 2nd but has been the most consistent as a rusher. mike isnt likely to close the gap on either that much in rushing yards per game, but his ypc and yards from scrimmage gives him a chance.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockyteg View Post
it would be nice to see that. who leads the ncaa in rushing though?
Andre Williams of BC, but no receiving yards and no big wins.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Unknit
4-Star

Male

Unknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/...01/sort01.html
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/...28/sort01.html

those are the pertinent stat categories for backs. andre williams from bc leads in rushing, kadeem carey from arizona is 2nd but has been the most consistent as a rusher. mike isnt likely to close the gap on either that much in rushing yards per game, but his ypc and yards from scrimmage gives him a chance.
His YPC is high and he only averages about 18 attempts a game while already going over 1,000 yards. That is impressive. Most of the other guys are at 25+ carries per game.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Going to be tough, but I think he can make a case. Here's my breakdown of why.

First, let's look at the top overall rushers so far this season, organized by YPG (I chose to go down to #22 so we could include all the 1,000 yard runners so far this year).

Then here are those 1,000 yard runners at a glance:

Jordan Lynch is a QB, so just take him out. So that leaves us with 15 RBs between 1038 and 1471 yards so far this season. Ameer Abdullah and Travis Greene only have 7 TDs apiece, so I think it's fair to take them out. That gets us down to 13 RBs.

Despite some gaudy numbers, Antonio Andrews (W. Kentucky), Brandon Oliver (Buffalo), Kapri Bibbs (CSU), Kasey Carrier (New Mexico), Jay Ajayi (Boise State) and David Fluellen (Toledo) play for low level teams against laughable competition for the most part. So I'm taking them out of consideration too.

That leaves 7 RB's in the mix:
Mike Davis, Andre Williams (BC), Bishop Sankey (Washington), Ka'Deem Carey (Arizona), Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin), Tyler Gaffney (Stanford) and Tre Mason (Auburn).

I think all of these guys have a fair argument. Historically, though, the Doak Walker has gone to nationally known names on teams that are winning big that season. For that reason, I think you can take Bishop Sankey and Andre Williams out of the discussion - mind you I do not think this is fair because those 2 are actually in the top 3 running backs in the nation in both total yards rushing and YPG.

So now we're down to 5 - Mike Davis, Ka'Deem Carey, Melvin Gordon, Tyler Gaffney and Tre Mason.

Looking over past winners, it also seems that the minimum threshold for winning this award is at a minimum 1500+ yards rushing and around 15+ TDs. More commonly the winners have 1800+ yards rushing and/or 20+ TDs.

Of the 5 guys I've narrowed it down to, here are where they currently project (based on games remaining and their averages so far on the season - *includes projected conference championship game appearance):

Mike Davis - 1410 yards, 13 TD
Ka'Deem Carey - 1679 yards, 15 TD
Melvin Gordon - 1547 yards, 15 TD
Tyler Gaffney - 1518 yards, 19 TD *
Tre Mason - 1246 yards, 18 TD

OK, so Davis doesn't stack up too favorably on the rushing alone. How does receiving come into play? Adding in receiving yards to give us total yards and total TD, here are how those 4 guys numbers change (adding in the projected end of the season to their receiving numbers as well):

Mike Davis - 1519 yards, 13 TD
Ka'Deem Carey - 1797 yards, 15 TD
Melvin Gordon - 1547 yards, 15 TD (only has 1 catch for 5 yards all year)
Tyler Gaffney - 1554 yards, 19 TD
Tre Mason - 1267 yards, 18 TD

Putting all of this together, my money would be on Ka'Deem Carey. If we manage to get to the SECCG, Mike's numbers would change a bit and be more competitive. Then he'd project to have 1673 yards, 14 or 15 TD (14.4 is how my calculation worked out). With those numbers and given an SECCG appearance and a much better ranking than Arizona, I could see Mike having a chance.

We'll see how it works out, but I would not be surprised if Mike Davis is a finalist for the award at least. Would be cool to get to send him to NY for the awards show, especially if Connor ends up being a finalist for anything too.

Last edited by GarnetInChicago; 11-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post

First, let's look at the top overall rushers so far this season, organized by YPG (I chose to go down to #22 so we could include all the 1,000 yard runners so far this year).

Jordan Lynch is a QB, so just take him out. So that leaves us with 15 RBs between 1038 and 1471 yards so far this season. Ameer Abdullah and Travis Greene only have 7 TDs apiece, so I think it's fair to take them out. That gets us down to 13 RBs.

Despite some gaudy numbers, Antonio Andrews (W. Kentucky), Brandon Oliver (Buffalo), Kapri Bibbs (CSU), Kasey Carrier (New Mexico), Jay Ajayi (Boise State) and David Fluellen (Toledo) play for low level teams against laughable competition for the most part. So I'm taking them out of consideration too.

Mike Davis, Andre Williams (BC), Bishop Sankey (Washington), Ka'Deem Carey (Arizona), Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin), Tyler Gaffney (Stanford) and Tre Mason (Auburn).

I think all of these guys have a fair argument. Historically, though, the Doak Walker has gone to nationally known names on teams that are winning big that season. For that reason, I think you can take Bishop Sankey and Andre Williams out of the discussion - mind you I do not think this is fair because those 2 are actually in the top 3 running backs in the nation in both total yards rushing and YPG.

So now we're down to 5 - Mike Davis, Ka'Deem Carey, Melvin Gordon, Tyler Gaffney and Tre Mason.

Looking over past winners, it also seems that the minimum threshold for winning this award is at a minimum 1500+ yards rushing and around 15+ TDs. More commonly the winners have 1800+ yards rushing and/or 20+ TDs.

Of the 5 guys I've narrowed it down to, here are where they currently project (based on games remaining and their averages so far on the season - *includes projected conference championship game appearance):

OK, so Davis doesn't stack up too favorably on the rushing alone. How does receiving come into play? Adding in receiving yards to give us total yards and total TD, here are how those 4 guys numbers change (adding in the projected end of the season to their receiving numbers as well):

Putting all of this together, my omney would be on Ka'Deem Carey. If we manage to get to the SECCG, Mike's numbers would change a bit and be more competitive. Then he'd project to have 1673 yards, 14 or 15 TD (14.4 is how my calculation worked out). With those numbers and given an SECCG appearance and a much better ranking than Arizona, I could see Mike having a chance.

We'll see how it works out, but I would not be surprised if Mike Davis is a finalist for the award at least. Would be cool to get to send him to NY for the awards show, especially if Connor ends up being a finalist for anything too.
Wow you really put A LOT of thought into that. But I like the projections
Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

He better win that shit.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
He better win that shit.
Such insight...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

4th-5th probably. Should have a better chance next year.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

GIC- nice insight/stats.
But how is Kadeem Carey "winning more" than Bishop Sankey?
Both teams are 6-3.
Both will probably finish with similar records if not close.
Or is it just because he was a first team all American last year?
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post

Putting all of this together, my money would be on Ka'Deem Carey. If we manage to get to the SECCG, Mike's numbers would change a bit and be more competitive. Then he'd project to have 1673 yards, 14 or 15 TD (14.4 is how my calculation worked out). With those numbers and given an SECCG appearance and a much better ranking than Arizona, I could see Mike having a chance.

That's a great breakdown, I appreciate what you did.

Maybe the fact that we are a top 10 team and we've played on TV so much more than the other candidates, the votes could go in Mike's favor. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
GIC- nice insight/stats.
But how is Kadeem Carey "winning more" than Bishop Sankey?
Both teams are 6-3.
Both will probably finish with similar records if not close.
Or is it just because he was a first team all American last year?
It's what Carey did last year. His name probably has more national recognition than anybody else on that list. Sankey could very easily end up getting more recognition if his team pulls off any upsets in the next few weeks. There's nothing really scientific about my prognostication here. There are plenty of straws to be picked at. But I had to find some way to whittle it down to manageable numbers of finalists and that's how I got there.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

The only 2 on the list that compare with MD are Gaffney and Mason, maybe Sankey or Carey because of the competition. I don't know if they count receiving yards.....but in today's game, I think they should.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote