CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
b381l
JaxcockFL
Legalman72
Gamecocks1137
GamecockMomSC
jellafever
CockTail
BBlackwell
Cant believe no one (2014)
We Have to Pass (1366)
Spurrier weekly pres (732)
Rivalry Thoughts and (710)
This would be awesom (584)
How is Shaq Davidson (503)
Two Gamecock women a (377)
Comparing Results Of (336)
Man jumps from plane (257)
McConaughey cast as (252)
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Why has there been 40 yea
Perspective on our game f
Spurrier weekly presser..
Watson to start
Bowl projections
We Have to Pass
2 USC/Clem tickets sectio
This would be awesome....
USC/clemson spread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material
Default Why is our Men's Soccer program not better?

I don't understand why our program is not better, here are my points:
1)We are maybe the 3rd best team in our own state
2)We have very fertile recruiting grounds in Charlotte and Atlanta.
3)We have far greater athletic budgets and facilities than anyone in Conference USA
4)Why can we not pull players from all over the SEC since there are no other SEC soccer programs other than Kentucky?
5) Our women's program has had great success in a very tough SEC.

I can not understand why we are not better. We should dominate our conference, yet we have been mediocre at best in the last 7 years. We should not lose to programs like Tulsa, Costal Carolina, and Old Dominion. 7-7-5 season record.

Last edited by CockTail; 11-13-2013 at 11:10 PM.
CockTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly
Default Re: Why is our Men's Soccer program not better?

I dunno. Can Connor Shaw play soccer??
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

i forgot we had a soccer team

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

They were a sweet 16 team like 2 years ago
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Sweet 16 in 2010 as well as cusa tourney champs. 2011 cusa reg season champ
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

because Men's acc soccer is a greater pull for kids in the south. Plus, it's not a kid's dream to play in college. Many of them want to go pro in another country. Also,naia programs have less recruiting restrictions and can get some unbelievable talent. Smaller schools are sometimes better in soccer than larger. I know a gut from Scotland that played semi pro and where did he play? Milligan college. You ever heard of it? Most people haven't. There is another guy that I know who was the backup keeper at Everton. He played at brecia. another semi pro player in England...he played at west Virginia Wesleyan and was the naia Adidas goal keeper of the year.

Clint Dempsey played at Furman. Landon Donovan played at the sports academy school in Tampa add did altidore, if I am not mistaken. Many of the best players never played in college. Mia hamm, even though she went to unc, had a roster spoor in the national team Euler she was still in high school.

berson is a good coach and well respected.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Tulsa, ok has great soccer talent.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Well we should be better but Myrtle beach and the Coastal guys is a hotbed for Soccer talent. Not sure the exact numbers of players from there that make it big but when I lived in that area it was so much tougher then where I live near Charlotte played in both areas. NC talent is way below, I went from middle of the pack decent player to one of the best on my team overnight when we relocated to NC.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Specifically NMB area I remember when Coach Merricks had the Chiefs Soccer team competing for State Championships every year. A number of these guys went straight to Coastal.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
because Men's acc soccer is a greater pull for kids in the south. Plus, it's not a kid's dream to play in college. Many of them want to go pro in another country. Also,naia programs have less recruiting restrictions and can get some unbelievable talent. Smaller schools are sometimes better in soccer than larger. I know a gut from Scotland that played semi pro and where did he play? Milligan college. You ever heard of it? Most people haven't. There is another guy that I know who was the backup keeper at Everton. He played at brecia. another semi pro player in England...he played at west Virginia Wesleyan and was the naia Adidas goal keeper of the year.

Clint Dempsey played at Furman. Landon Donovan played at the sports academy school in Tampa add did altidore, if I am not mistaken. Many of the best players never played in college. Mia hamm, even though she went to unc, had a roster spoor in the national team Euler she was still in high school.

berson is a good coach and well respected.
I get your points, but there will be a group of players that goes to a developmental league every year. I am talking about the players that actually do play in college. We should do a better job at bringing those players here. We have had very little success compared to most traditional soccer powers. I don't consider Conference USA a power. That is like winning the ACC in football. That is great, but when did a Conference USA team win a national championship?

We should have the best recruiting ground in the country, and we have the financial ability to have the best facilities in the country, and the best coach. I am not saying the coach is the problem, but we have been average on the national stage for a long time, and we have the resources to be a powerhouse.

Other than Akron and UC Santa Barbara, the last 17 National Champions have come from a major university. Why not us?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Until the SEC has men's soccer, our program will suffer at least a little bit.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I get your points, but there will be a group of players that goes to a developmental league every year. I am talking about the players that actually do play in college. We should do a better job at bringing those players here. We have had very little success compared to most traditional soccer powers. I don't consider Conference USA a power. That is like winning the ACC in football. That is great, but when did a Conference USA team win a national championship?

We should have the best recruiting ground in the country, and we have the financial ability to have the best facilities in the country, and the best coach. I am not saying the coach is the problem, but we have been average on the national stage for a long time, and we have the resources to be a powerhouse.

Other than Akron and UC Santa Barbara, the last 17 National Champions have come from a major university. Why not us?
They would rather go to bigger name schools for soccer or just bypass us all together for other opportunities. Soccer athletes are a unique bunch. Plus, look at the hometowns for the kids on the roster. See a lot of homegrown talent?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
They would rather go to bigger name schools for soccer or just bypass us all together for other opportunities. Soccer athletes are a unique bunch. Plus, look at the hometowns for the kids on the roster. See a lot of homegrown talent?
Most kids don't play at the local school. I don't remember Tulsa OK being a hotbed for soccer either. Florida is a huge recruiting ground, so is Texas and Georgia.

Our women's program has figured out how to recruit here, and I am certain that SC is not a great recruiting ground nationally.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Most of our guys now are SC guys, I remember over 10 years ago when that wasn't the case. NC will be locked down by the ACC schools there. Even UNCC is playing for national championships now days.

We do recruit well. We got 5 of the top 150 players in the 2013 recruiting class, 4 were from SC and only a couple were from SC and went out of state.
http://www.collegesoccernews.com/ind...s/Page4040.htm
This is one of the best classes we've ever recruited.

Soccer is like baseball though. The absolute best players can go pro after high school, but not just in the US, they can go overseas as well.

I think to get to the next level we need to upgrade facilities, which we are. They are getting new locker rooms, weight rooms and video rooms. Also the field/turf is being upgraded. http://www.flickr.com//photos/scgame...99031125/show/
(It's in the slideshow in the link and has been approved by the BOT.)

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Most kids don't play at the local school. I don't remember Tulsa OK being a hotbed for soccer either. Florida is a huge recruiting ground, so is Texas and Georgia.

Our women's program has figured out how to recruit here, and I am certain that SC is not a great recruiting ground nationally.
I coached regional tournaments in Tulsa and I can tell you that they are soccer hooligans over there

Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Mark Berson
/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't understand why our program is not better, here are my points:
1)We are maybe the 3rd best team in our own state
2)We have very fertile recruiting grounds in Charlotte and Atlanta.
3)We have far greater athletic budgets and facilities than anyone in Conference USA
4)Why can we not pull players from all over the SEC since there are no other SEC soccer programs other than Kentucky?
5) Our women's program has had great success in a very tough SEC.

I can not understand why we are not better. We should dominate our conference, yet we have been mediocre at best in the last 7 years. We should not lose to programs like Tulsa, Costal Carolina, and Old Dominion. 7-7-5 season record.
This is one season. Have you looked at our previous years. We have a regular season title and an outright conference title in the last couple years.

Step back from the ledge
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
This is one season. Have you looked at our previous years. We have a regular season title and an outright conference title in the last couple years.

Step back from the ledge
Yes, from a conference that has had little success on a national stage. Like I said Conference USA is like winning the ACC in football, who cares. Currently there are only 3 teams ranked in the top 25, 4 in the top 50, from Conference USA. And, never produced a national champion.

I am not bashing the program, I am advocating turning up the heat and spending more money on the program. We have the ability to build the best facilities on the nation, and bringing in the best available players in the country from a wide open recruiting pool. There is no proverbial soccer power in the entire south. We can be that power, and we should. IMHO.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Because all the best athletes in this area play other sports. I'm not trying to knock soccer but look at local high schools and other than a select few the best of the best athletes are playing other sports. Also with kids becoming so specialized you don't have kids playing as wide a variety of sports. When I was in school most football players had to play a spring sport for conditioning so the soccer team would get a few players but most played baseball or ran track.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Because all the best athletes in this area play other sports. I'm not trying to knock soccer but look at local high schools and other than a select few the best of the best athletes are playing other sports. Also with kids becoming so specialized you don't have kids playing as wide a variety of sports. When I was in school most football players had to play a spring sport for conditioning so the soccer team would get a few players but most played baseball or ran track.
There are plenty of players within 300 miles of Columbia to have a fantastic team every year. We are just not getting them. 17 of our current players are within 200 miles of Columbia, most are within 100 miles. With Atlanta and Charlotte being so close, we should pull them in easily.