CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
ReadR00ster
Singaporecock
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
ktguen
markp_vip
jrussjr
3MTA3
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Larenz Bryant update (876)
Hillsborough (540)
2015 - Chris Clark (473)
2016 - Greg Little (470)
Joeckel Transfering (466)
UK's Whitlow to tran (455)
Bamberg High School (311)
USC Tartan Unvieled (257)
Its April 15th and i (256)
A'ja Wilson
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
Jameis Winston's Accuser
purchasing football ticke
Need Bama-USC Tickets (Ba
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
MLS Atlanta
UK's Whitlow to transfer

Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
3MTA3
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Paleo

Anyone here go with a paleo diet?

went with straight paleo the 2nd half of my day yesterday (had to finish off some leftover spaghetti for lunch) and today is going to be my first full day. I hate calling it a diet, because that implies its a short term thing, but assuming it helps alleviate some things I'm dealing with, I expect to keep at it for the long term.

I currently get what seems like might be reflux pretty often later in the day, which doesnt hurt like some reflux or heartburn, but instead makes me feel like I constantly have to clear my throat. Complete pain in the arse. It does seem to be worse when I consume certain foods (sometimes dairy, but not always. sometimes whole grains, etc). I had been eating very healthy the past few years, but figured I needed to change it up to see if a lifestyle change could fix this issue. Plus, I know others who have gone paleo, and not for 'weight loss' but just an overall lifestyle improvement. I'm not looking to lose weight, though I'm sure I will lose some with this change. I'm pretty active, so getting the necessary amount of protein and carbs through paleo is going to take some planning. Luckily, my wife already started paleo about a week ago, so she's been doing all sorts of research and planning.

Anyway- anyone else try this? Thoughts?
3MTA3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 4400
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit
Default Re: Paleo

That's funny because I went with straight paleo the 2nd half of my day yesterday (had to finish off some leftover spaghetti for lunch) and today is going to be my first full day. I hate calling it a diet, because that implies its a short term thing, but assuming it helps alleviate some things I'm dealing with, I expect to keep at it for the long term. I currently get what seems like might be reflux pretty often later in the day, which doesnt hurt like some reflux or heartburn, but instead makes me feel like I constantly have to clear my throat. Complete pain in the arse. It does seem to be worse when I consume certain foods (sometimes dairy, but not always. sometimes whole grains, etc). I had been eating very healthy the past few years, but figured I needed to change it up to see if a lifestyle change could fix this issue. Plus, I know others who have gone paleo, and not for 'weight loss' but just an overall lifestyle improvement. I'm not looking to lose weight, though I'm sure I will lose some with this change. I'm pretty active, so getting the necessary amount of protein and carbs through paleo is going to take some planning. Luckily, my wife already started paleo about a week ago, so she's been doing all sorts of research and planning.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

um, what?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Wagz
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Wagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervous

Yes, I've been at it for about a year and half. Hands down the best decision I've ever made. I don't consider it a diet (just a lifestyle change). I eat anytime i get hungry, meat, eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds.

I truely beleive that the "americanized diet" which is primarily maded up of processed foods that are high in flour and sugar is the primary contributor to Heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and many other medical conditions. Our country is addicted to sugar. Most people don't realize just how bad they walk around feeling every day.

Go 3 weeks with no bread/grains and no processed sugar, it will suck for the first week or two but you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. You will lose weight even if that's not your goal. I'm actually trying to put back on a few pounds, the right way...

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.
Wagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Short-Term diet/fads do not work (in the long run)... Remember when everyone was trying the Atkins Diet? I know of 40-50 people that tried it... they all lost weight... but eventually gained it back... and in many cases, they were heavier than their original weight.

If you are going to do a diet, do one that you can stay on for the rest of your life. Weight Watchers is one that you can do. The points system is fantastic. What it does is keep you in check of what you can eat for a day. You can eat anything, but if you eat 3-4 slices of meat lovers pizza, your ass cant eat all that much for the rest of the day. I did weight watchers for about 4 months, lost 25 lbs, and a year later... I am still down about 20lbs. I know if I start eating bad (and gain a few more lbs back), I can always start counting my points, and cut back on what I am eating in a day.

Also, do some sorta cardio everyday (if possible).. I try to get a minimum of 30 minutes per day(usually closer to 40-45). This will only work the weight off quicker. Note: If you are on the treadmill, and on your cellphone the whole time... you aint trying hard enough! :)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagz View Post
Yes, I've been at it for about a year and half. Hands down the best decision I've ever made. I don't consider it a diet (just a lifestyle change). I eat anytime i get hungry, meat, eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds.

I truely beleive that the "americanized diet" which is primarily maded up of processed foods that are high in flour and sugar is the primary contributor to Heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and many other medical conditions. Our country is addicted to sugar. Most people don't realize just how bad they walk around feeling every day.

Go 3 weeks with no bread/grains and no processed sugar, it will suck for the first week or two but you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. You will lose weight even if that's not your goal. I'm actually trying to put back on a few pounds, the right way...

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.
thanks, man. i'm actually kind of excited to jump into it. i agree that its not a diet, but a lifestyle change, but i'm the kind of person who thinks you cannot look at anything like this, whether it be a change in what you eat or how active you are, it must be about changing lifestyle.

my biggest challenge will be when i'm on the road for work. i know i won't be able to go strict paleo, in that i won't always be able to get grass-fed beef, for example, but i figure as long as i stick to the basics, i'll be doing alright. i am keeping eggs in my diet, whereas my wife is not, since she is taking the auto-immune paleo diet approach for different reasons. i need eggs in the morning to get my protein intake.

my wife said the first few days she felt sluggish, but a week later and she said she's feeling a lot better in general. she said she is still hungry often, but thats because she can't supplement her diet between meals with things like almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc, due to the auto-immune version of paleo shes going with.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Short-Term diet/fads do not work (in the long run)... Remember when everyone was trying the Atkins Diet? I know of 40-50 people that tried it... they all lost weight... but eventually gained it back... and in many cases, they were heavier than their original weight.

If you are going to do a diet, do one that you can stay on for the rest of your life. Weight Watchers is one that you can do. The points system is fantastic. What it does is keep you in check of what you can eat for a day. You can eat anything, but if you eat 3-4 slices of meat lovers pizza, your ass cant eat all that much for the rest of the day. I did weight watchers for about 4 months, lost 25 lbs, and a year later... I am still down about 20lbs. I know if I start eating bad (and gain a few more lbs back), I can always start counting my points, and cut back on what I am eating in a day.

Also, do some sorta cardio everyday (if possible).. I try to get a minimum of 30 minutes per day(usually closer to 40-45). This will only work the weight off quicker.
i get what you're saying completely, and agree. but i'm not doing this to lose weight. i'm currently 5'10'', 156 lbs. i do extensive, strenuous exercise 4-5 times a week. mostly crossfit type workouts.

i'm not intending this to be a short term type thing. i don't have a goal in mind, therefore it cannot be short term. i want this to be a lifestyle change to see if i feel better overall.

but i do appreciate the feedback!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Note: If you are on the treadmill, and on your cellphone the whole time... you aint trying hard enough! :)
oh, and i had to separate this out, because it is one of the things that bugs me. i know i shouldnt let the actions of others bother me at the gym, but when i see someone on a treadmill, bike, elliptical, whatever...and on their cellphone simultaneously, it just really grinds my gears. STOP TAKING UP GYM SPACE! haha

i was at a hotel recently for a work trip, and there was one of those horizontal bikes (not sure what they're actually called, but the one where your legs are extended out in front of you rather than underneath you) and i swear, the thing had ARM RESTS. i was flabbergasted.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post
That's funny because I went with straight paleo the 2nd half of my day yesterday (had to finish off some leftover spaghetti for lunch) and today is going to be my first full day. I hate calling it a diet, because that implies its a short term thing, but assuming it helps alleviate some things I'm dealing with, I expect to keep at it for the long term. I currently get what seems like might be reflux pretty often later in the day, which doesnt hurt like some reflux or heartburn, but instead makes me feel like I constantly have to clear my throat. Complete pain in the arse. It does seem to be worse when I consume certain foods (sometimes dairy, but not always. sometimes whole grains, etc). I had been eating very healthy the past few years, but figured I needed to change it up to see if a lifestyle change could fix this issue. Plus, I know others who have gone paleo, and not for 'weight loss' but just an overall lifestyle improvement. I'm not looking to lose weight, though I'm sure I will lose some with this change. I'm pretty active, so getting the necessary amount of protein and carbs through paleo is going to take some planning. Luckily, my wife already started paleo about a week ago, so she's been doing all sorts of research and planning.
LOL what?!

speechless...
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

I have a friend that's done it for a while, and he's ripped. Of course, he does Cross Fit, too, but the Paleo Diet certainly helps. Good luck with it. I'd like to be able to follow the Paleo Diet, but I'm so pressed for time because of work.
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Wagz
Recruit

Male

Wagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
LOL what?!

speechless...
Keep on killing yourself....one bite at a time.

I eat to live, most people in this country live to eat.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:

i think he was speaking to the absurdity of the post that just took my post and re-stated it

Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Since I moved to Houston about five months ago I have put on probably five pounds. That is not much and I have been lifting more weight than I ever have in my life. I'm at 5' 11", anywhere between 183-186 lbs. My muscle mass isn't that bad, but I want to continue building muscle and also I need to trim some excess fat.

This is where eating habits come into play. I struggle with getting on a solid eating plan. Part of the problem I have is that if something not very healthy is in front of me I will eat it. In short, I need better self control. I live with my girlfriend and she keeps some crap around the house that I would avoid if possible. Things like cereal (all sugar and carbs), cookies, occasionally ice cream, snack bars (again, packed with sugar and carbs). I am trying my best to clean up our eating habits so we eat more protein, fruits, and vegetables. I think the premise of my eating will more or less be called "Paleo". I just want to eat "clean" and combine it with consistent exercise and see the positive impact it has not just on my body, but my mood and other facets of my life.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Calm down there champ, I was laughing that the guy basically just re typed what the OP said.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Wagz
Recruit

Male

My fault...I thought you we're chastising him for wanting to improve his eating habits.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
My fault...I thought you we're chastising him for wanting to improve his eating habits.
Not at all. The world would be a better place if people decided to take better care of their bodies. There would be a lot prettier people and a lot less disease.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
oh, and i had to separate this out, because it is one of the things that bugs me. i know i shouldnt let the actions of others bother me at the gym, but when i see someone on a treadmill, bike, elliptical, whatever...and on their cellphone simultaneously, it just really grinds my gears. STOP TAKING UP GYM SPACE! haha

i was at a hotel recently for a work trip, and there was one of those horizontal bikes (not sure what they're actually called, but the one where your legs are extended out in front of you rather than underneath you) and i swear, the thing had ARM RESTS. i was flabbergasted.
It drives me NUTS... at my gym, we only have 3 treadmills... well, one guy was running.. another lady was walking.. and the 3rd person... she was talking on the cell... walking at a 2.2mph pace! I could crawl faster for God's sake!! She was on there for 30 minutes.. she finally got off the phone, and started texting after that.. Im sure she burnt 17-18 calories...

Im sure she went home, got on the scale, and wondered why she wasn't losing weight, despite getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes.. SMH
Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
It drives me NUTS... at my gym, we only have 3 treadmills... well, one guy was running.. another lady was walking.. and the 3rd person... she was talking on the cell... walking at a 2.2mph pace! I could crawl faster for God's sake!! She was on there for 30 minutes.. she finally got off the phone, and started texting after that.. Im sure she burnt 17-18 calories...

Im sure she went home, got on the scale, and wondered why she wasn't losing weight, despite getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes.. SMH
People who go to the gym and act like it is social hour annoy the heck out of me too. Get your work done while there!

I go with a buddy of mine and we talk some but we also are courteous to others around us. We don't take too long on the bench or whatever piece of equipment. I hate people that are so oblivious to other people when the gym is packed.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:

So she went for a half an hour walk. Good for her. Walking is great exercise. She probably burned a couple hundred calories. Some people are trying to lose weight a little bit at a time. I am, it stays off longer that way and I don't build up an appetite like I do if I do a lot of exercise. I don't know why she needed to take up a treadmill for it though. use an exercise bike or go outside.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Well, not to divert too much from the topic, but that's the nice thing about crossfit type workouts (or tabata, HIIT, etc). when you start the workout, you should be unable to chat, or hang out, during it. you just go-go-go, and once you're done, you want to get the hell out of the gym ASAP (once you're able to scrape yourself off the floor)