CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
WeStill0wnUSC
Talon1
NineInchSpurs
18IsTheMan
catdaddy66
henmania
roosterdude21
GamecockUltimate
Coulwoodwarlord
Tired of night games (2126)
Luginbill says ECU s (1879)
Well, as it turns ou (1480)
Next years RB situat (1453)
Coach Elliott pregam (1373)
What the heck is up (1354)
Been a pleasure talk (1083)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (914)
ECU fan here (792)
Verne lundquist (741)
Davis dinged up again?
Rabbit package?
Well, as it turns out, we
Shon Carson
Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky
ECU fan here
Luginbill says ECU should
Freaky Coincidence or Div
Quarles is a Colt!
What the heck is up with

Old 11-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Florida

So much could have gone wrong, but it didn't. Lost in the anger and confusion of struggling against Florida at home is that we beat Florida...at home. Folks, Florida has elite talent. Their coaching may not be the best, and they may be banged up, but it's not like they didn't have 4 and 5 stars sitting on the bench. They turned the ball over 4 times against Vandy, it's really hard to win a game like that, our game against Florida last year is proof of that.

...but no matter. Our team found a way to win, they gutted it out, and that is perhaps more important.

OFFENSE
QB:
C

What do you want me to say? I think Connor's a bit more banged up that he's letting on. He certainly doesn't have the mobility he used to, and our lack of zone-read clues me into the fact that the coaches know he's limited. His passing was off, there's no other way to say it, he should have had at least two more TD passes (other than the one the refs took away) but he was off on his throws. He didn't go through his progressions very well either, as he forced it to Shaq once or twice when others were open. Let's hope he gets some rest and clears his head. We're going to need his best performance against Clemson in two weeks.

RB: A
It's too bad that Davis got banged up, because he was heading for another 100+ night. Shon did an amazing job of filling in though, and his breakaway run down near our end zone may have been the play of the game.

WR/TE: A
Florida has a great defense, but these guys went up and got it a couple of times. Busta had an amazing catch, and Bruce has a knack for turning a DB around and taking him out of the play. Not quite the separation I'd like to see, but well done against an elite defense.

OL: B
Pass protection wasn't exactly what I had hoped for, but given Florida's talent on that side of of the ball, and Brad's familiarity with our schemes I'd say they did a hell of a job.

DEFENSE
DL: B

Not an A because grades are cumulative. Really crappy first quarter, slightly better second, and then a solid second half. Clowney played like a man possessed, pursuing on the backside faster than I think I've seen anyone else. If you missed it, the Gator offensive linemen were playing pretty dirty early on. JD took offense and that was that.

LB/Spur: C
Fantastic second half, but Kaiwan Lewis did not have his best game. Took several bad angles and missed gaps repeatedly early on. Moore continues to play with confidence. He's starting to play faster, which means he's getting more comfortable with his position.

CB/S: B
Weren't asked to do a lot, but played very solid run support in the second half

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: C

Fry won the game for us, so it's hard to criticize him, but Ard and Hull continue to be the "what now?" duo. Hull's final punt was a thing of beauty, his others, not so much. Ard feels unfulfilled if he doesn't put at least one kickoff out of bounds.

Our return game is non-existent, I just ask for fair catches and no fumbles at this point.

COACHING
Overall:
C

Were our defensive staff the only ones in the stadium that didn't realize Florida was going to run the ball and put Burton and others in the wildcat? It had been discussed all week by many fans and pundits, but when it showed up during our first two drives our team acted as if they had prepared all week for Peyton Manning.

I don't get it.

I heard a couple of people bemoaning the play calling, but the offensive game plan was pretty good. Had we executed we would have scored somewhere between 24 - 35 points, which is pretty good against Florida.

Still, we didn't execute, and some of that is also on the coaches.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
A

Fantastic atmosphere, and I'd say the fans certainly did their job. I'm not happy that as a team we still do stupid things. Twice we had drives stopped only to commit a dumb penalty to keep it alive. At this point in the season you'd hope your team would have gotten that out of their system, but it is what it is. What we have is a very talented team that when they put everything together they can beat anyone. However, they're prone to mental mistakes that can cost them games. It's hard not to be proud of how hard our team fought though. I honestly thought Florida had some quit in them, but they did not. They showed up motivated and ready to play. Thankfully we did just enough, and still have a shot at Atlanta.

FINAL THOUGHTS

All we can do now is wait. Auburn did our job for us, so now we need A&M or Ole Miss to finish the job. I hate being in that position, but laying an egg at Tennessee has put us there. I'm hoping that Coastal gives us an opportunity to rest up players and give the backups some work, but that's not really how this team rolls. I expect to see Shaw in there in the 4th and around a 15 point win. Hopefully I'm being pessimistic and we blow them out the way we should...

Last edited by Acockolypse Now; 11-18-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Acockolypse Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
The O.G.
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
The O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudlyThe O.G. is crowing loudly
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Florida

Love your recaps Acock!
The O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

We should hang 6 TDs on MBU. I'm sure we won't , but we should.

I like your assessment of Shaw. But I don't know how a guy like Shaw "clears his head"
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

As usual, a great write up. thanks!

At this point with two losses, style points are useless.

A win is a win.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
As usual, a great write up. thanks!

At this point with two losses, style points are useless.

A win is a win.
1. You are absolutely right about this, because right now we're having to rely on other people to take care of things to see what our post-season fate is.

2. Apparently this applies to some teams and not all, at least according to the polls.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
We should hang 6 TDs on MBU. I'm sure we won't , but we should.

I like your assessment of Shaw. But I don't know how a guy like Shaw "clears his head"

With Shaw I would imagine it being doing the mud run or wrestling a python.

Don't really know.