CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
Gyle41386
MisterClowney
**USC vs. Davidson G (4672)
SEC Network "Ta (1492)
Sunday college footb (485)
Early Pre-Season wom (470)
So who was the dude (447)
Ole Miss Projected R (446)
Acock reviews the SE (433)
Kentucky Inmate Star (419)
Get the SEC Network (416)
Tennessee hires Donn (400)
Does anyone have a link t
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2001 vs Sandstorm
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
SEC Network "Take It
Name a Gamecock
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
FACIAL
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb
Default What's happened to the running game?

I haven't seen this question discussed very much. But here's the trend:

* In the last 3 games we have had our 3 lowest rushing totals of the season.

* In the last 3 games we have not rushed for a touchdown.

Now, there's been plenty of discussion about Connor Shaw's performance, but, in those 3 games, he's thrown for 8 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions. I think the decline in the running game is the more pressing issue.

The good new is we've won the last 3 games, and I don't think the lack of a running game will be a problem against Coastal or Clemson. It does concern me if we, hopefully, play Bama.

So what gives? Is Davis banged up? Shaw as well? No Wilds? Has the D line regressed? Has the competition been better over the last 3 games? Are we becoming overly finesse on offense?

Any thoughts are welcomed.
Carolina-Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731774588
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: What's happened to the running game?

teams are forcing us to beat them passing...
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Since Connor doesn't run much anymore, teams don't honor him as a possible runner in the zone read, and therefore key on Davis. They are also just focused on stopping the run and forcing Connor to beat them passing. CS hasn't had a good compete game passing since Arky.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
I haven't seen this question discussed very much. But here's the trend:

* In the last 3 games we have had our 3 lowest rushing totals of the season.

* In the last 3 games we have not rushed for a touchdown.

Now, there's been plenty of discussion about Connor Shaw's performance, but, in those 3 games, he's thrown for 8 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions. I think the decline in the running game is the more pressing issue.

The good new is we've won the last 3 games, and I don't think the lack of a running game will be a problem against Coastal or Clemson. It does concern me if we, hopefully, play Bama.

So what gives? Is Davis banged up? Shaw as well? No Wilds? Has the D line regressed? Has the competition been better over the last 3 games? Are we becoming overly finesse on offense?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

We played the 3 best Ds we will face all year. Nothing more complicated than that. Our OL isn't as good as we think but still much better than before.

Last edited by henmania; 11-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
We played the 3best Ds we will face all year. Nothing more complicated than that. Our OL isn't as good as we think but still much better than before.
I agree on Fla and Miss St, but Tenn doesn't have a good defense.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
scdodgerfan
Walk On

Male

scdodgerfan has hatched from the shell

Did Wilds even get in the game? Is he still hurt? Are we saving him for Clemson?
scdodgerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

The line hasn't improved all year. Davis has some nagging injuries and we still don't have our no.2 Wilds. I think all those factors contribute.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Since Connor doesn't run much anymore, teams don't honor him as a possible runner in the zone read, and therefore key on Davis. They are also just focused on stopping the run and forcing Connor to beat them passing. CS hasn't had a good compete game passing since Arky.
I think you have lost your mind to say Shaw did not play a complete game against mizz, he played a complete game in one half... 20-29 201yds 3 TD's....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
I agree on Fla and Miss St, but Tenn doesn't have a good defense.
The last 3 were Mizzou, Miss State and UF. I think Mizzou has a good D.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

The Florida game was the first time I saw Carson make a cut. Until then he took the handoff and ran into the 1st defender he could find and went down. It's only because we had no other backup RB that he got three games to wake up and open his eyes.

As far as Davis; how can you say the running game has dropped off if he is number 1 in rushing in the SEC?

I was very impressed at Mizzou's D line and Floridas.

Many of the SEC defenses this year are tough to run on. The best D lines in college football are in the SEC.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

The running game is fine, to me... what I am more concerned about is the passing game... that is probably the worst I have seen Connor play ever. But just like everyone is entitled to a good game, same with a bad one... Coastal will be no walk over, but I do hope that our boys work on the fundamentals this week for sure.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

We give up on the i formation way too easily. Patience and versatility amongst obviously execution is key to running the ball. That said i wouldn't panic yet.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Part of the reason for that is Mizzou and UF have 2 of the best defenses in the country. Mizzou's DL is just unreal. UF doesn't just have talent on the DL they have such a good secondary that they can put their CBs on an island confidently and cheat up against the running game. Level of competition is playing arguably the biggest factor.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

8 I agree that's the worst i remember Connor playing . I think he's running slower , but last night he had no feel throwing it seemed. Florida has a fast defense! :wink?
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #15
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
I think you have lost your mind to say Shaw did not play a complete game against mizz, he played a complete game in one half... 20-29 201yds 3 TD's....
Yes he was great in the Missouri game.....but he only played half the game....that was my point.....why do you think I used the word complete, as in entire game.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
The last 3 were Mizzou, Miss State and UF. I think Mizzou has a good D.
your right, I was thinking Tenn came after Missouri.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #17
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes he was great in the Missouri game.....but he only played half the game....that was my point.....why do you think I used the word complete, as in entire game.
If that is the case then you are mistaken, he played the entire game against flawda and miss st.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #18
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
If that is the case then you are mistaken, he played the entire game against flawda and miss st.
Look at the last sentence in my post #3 above. My statement was CS hasn't had a good complete game since Arky. He did not have a good game against Tenn, Miss St or Florida.....and he didn't play but half the game against Missouri.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #19
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Look at the last sentence in my post #3 above. My statement was CS hasn't had a good complete game since Arky. He did not have a good game against Tenn, Miss St or Florida.....and he didn't play but half the game against Missouri.
Ok, but to say 10-20 for 147yds and 4 TD's is not a good game would also lead me to believe you have lost your mind, not a complete game but anytime you throw 4 TD's in a game it is at the very least a good game.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Part of the reason for that is Mizzou and UF have 2 of the best defenses in the country. Mizzou's DL is just unreal. UF doesn't just have talent on the DL they have such a good secondary that they can put their CBs on an island confidently and cheat up against the running game. Level of competition is playing arguably the biggest factor.
And we ran well v. Mizzou...just fumbled and penalitied ourselves out of pts.

The Miss St game is an anamoly....they gave us 5 takeaways...stats get skewed when one team is getting quick and easy scores. We only ran 54 plays in that game.

Last Sat was Connor's worst passing game I can remember....still SMH. I'm sure he's enjoying the win, but I bet he wishes he had that one to do over again.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote