CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
b381l
GabbieM
Spurticus
Gyle41386
Acockolypse Now
GH
kingofnerf
WeStillOwnUSC
So, Dylan Thompson? (5586)
Confused fan here. (3960)
Is anybody still opt (3789)
Predict the Season ( (2539)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (2023)
How were the Aggie f (1281)
Will Gameday still c (961)
Heck of an atmospher (813)
I hate a thief (810)
Play for next year (800)
8 technologies that will
Confused fan here. Why i
SOS is pissed
A fans guide. 5 steps to
Is anybody still optimist
Will Gameday still come?
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
Step back from the ledge
Predict the Season (After
Good crowd for volleyball

Old 11-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Shaw's Lack Of Confidence

Let me start by saying ... this is NOT a who should be the QB thread. If that debat starts up, your post will be deleted and you might even take a vacation.

Has anyone else noticed that Shaw seems to have lost some confidence? Since he threw the pick a few weeks ago, he hasn't been slinging the ball like he was the first half of the season. Also, since he was injured at Tennessee on the scramble, he hasn't taken off running like he used to.

It could be injuries that's holding him back, but it looks like he's afraid to throw a pick, so he's overthrowing everything to make sure it's not, and afraid to run it and take a hit so he doesn't fumble.

On one play Saturday, the pocket was closing down around him and he took 2 steps and slid. It went for a 3 yard loss. Who slides 3 yards in the backfield? He might have still been sacked, but I have never seen a QB intentionally slide for a loss to avoid contact.

Is anyone else seeing this, or am I way off here? I think somebody needs to get in his ear.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw's Lack Of Confidence

He's hurt, simple as that. Not a confidence issue
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Personally, I think Shaw and MD28 being banged up has completely thrown our offense out of sync. Hopefully these guys can get healed up over the next week or two, but playing through injuries will almost always cut back on production.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

It's not a confidence issue

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I dont know if he's lost some confidence. But he has definitely lost his speed. Also, someone needs to teach him how to run the option. He needs to sell the idea that he may run with the ball. He pitches it to the back way too early and the play goes nowhere.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

I think there is no question that his injuries have affected his confidence in a way. Just as we said with RG3 that the only way he'd trust his leg again was to get out there each and every play, Connor needs to do the same thing. As I said after the Mizzou comeback, I will never doubt this team again as long as Connor wears the Garnet and Black. Yes, I was frustrated as all get out on Saturday, but I didn't doubt them.

His passes were sailing Saturday night. I saw someone say it had to do with the full moon and the extra pull. That's my story as well :).
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

He is a little gimp and it affects everything he does as a QB. Regardless, WIN ANYWAY is all he has done. He will be close to 100% for Clemsux. He does not fear turning the ball over but he has always been a guy that leans a little more conservative with his throws.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

In the way that being injured affects your confidence, I agree. His throws were mostly off-target and somewhat errant acftually, which is completely odd for him this year...he looks like Shaw '12 to me, which isn't good...

We NEED a win over Clemson for this year to be a moderate success, imho bc of the Tennessee fubar.

Regardless if we go to Atlanta or not, we need some credibility instead of being perceived as "backing into" the championship game.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

I have noticed that his running is only average or slightly above right now. He will fall to the turf before challenging a defense for more yards. Maybe he is trying to avoid doing too much which is arguably how he has gotten dinged up this season. He is now only about 50% accurate with his passes and tends to overthrow much more often then before the knee strain at UT.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

I don't think he has lost any confidence at all. I just think he has some nagging injuries that hinder his running game. Shaw is a run first, pass second QB. Since he hurt his knee it has been obvious that he is trying to become a pass first, run second QB. When he came in for the mizzou game he actually surprised me with his pass first attitude.
JDRAY^# is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I think it's a combination of both.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Something's not right....dude has been very accurate...suddenly he's not?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

No.

He's hurt.

Florida has a good defense.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Shaw seems to have lost some confidence?
Either that or for some reason he has become a lot more timid. He has never had great confidence in his ability to pass the ball, but he has been doing much better this season. After Mizzou, he should be on cloud nine...but he isn't. He was misreading receiver routes out there too Sat night.

I know he has been injured...that he is injured...and with these injuries and only 4 games remaining, he'll finish his career here injured, so we can just list "he is injured" as a given.

I wonder if this has anything to do with his only starting one or two years at QB in hs and that he just doesn't have the foundation/experience to lean on?
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

November Connor is clearly slower than September Connor. He's getting run down from behind when at the start of the year he was leaving people in the dust. I don't think he's lost confidence, I think he's a badass for playing through an injury at such a high level (most games).
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Personally, I think Shaw and MD28 being banged up has completely thrown our offense out of sync. Hopefully these guys can get healed up over the next week or two, but playing through injuries will almost always cut back on production.
This is what's happening. Those are the 2 that make us go on Offense and Mike is a little worn down.

Shaw is no where near 100%. His knee is hurting and running is a large part of our Offense. He scrambles for a lot of 1st downs and he is not a threat to keep it on the zone read option.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Against mizz he wore a glove on his throwing hand, he threw as good as I have seen him throw the ball, I think he should wear the glove as he seems to have more pop on the ball with the glove or is it just me?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
theo_robbins
4-Star

Male

theo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot material

Any way we play Dylan and Wilds/Carson this weekend to let Shaw and Davis rest up?
theo_robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
This is what's happening. Those are the 2 that make us go on Offense and Mike is a little worn down.

Shaw is no where near 100%. His knee is hurting and running is a large part of our Offense. He scrambles for a lot of 1st downs and he is not a threat to keep it on the zone read option.
Yes sir. They are the playmakers and they are both unable to perform like they want to. MD's knee is what I think is bothering him. I know he took a beating during the 3 game road trip and it's taking it's toll on his ability to produce. Shaw has been battling injuries nearly all year. it's catching up to him. When the shoulder was hurt, he could make up for it with his legs, now with his knee hurt, he's a field general that needs to make smart decisions based on his ability to make a play. Basically, he needs to hand it off or throw a safe pass until he's closer to 100%. I doubt either one of them will be 100% until Bowl week.

I know Shaw will get the start this week to get the win, but the sooner him and MD are out of the game this week, the better chances they have of being healthy against klemtek. And we have to plan on playing in ATL.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Let me start by saying ... this is NOT a who should be the QB thread. If that debat starts up, your post will be deleted and you might even take a vacation.

Has anyone else noticed that Shaw seems to have lost some confidence? Since he threw the pick a few weeks ago, he hasn't been slinging the ball like he was the first half of the season. Also, since he was injured at Tennessee on the scramble, he hasn't taken off running like he used to.

It could be injuries that's holding him back, but it looks like he's afraid to throw a pick, so he's overthrowing everything to make sure it's not, and afraid to run it and take a hit so he doesn't fumble.

On one play Saturday, the pocket was closing down around him and he took 2 steps and slid. It went for a 3 yard loss. Who slides 3 yards in the backfield? He might have still been sacked, but I have never seen a QB intentionally slide for a loss to avoid contact.

Is anyone else seeing this, or am I way off here? I think somebody needs to get in his ear.
This thread makes me have a lack of confidence in Cack.

Is he posting hurt? He seems to be over analyzing some things. This happens with some people after rampant alcohol abuse.

Is anyone else seeing this? Someone should get in his ear. He needs to step up his game.