CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
A. Pilgrim
b381l
gamecockgal
DTGCOCKS#32
markp_vip
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
Order 66
B-G
uniforms saturday (1462)
Neat statistic bruhh (1132)
Vandy Fans (1061)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
Watch ESPN3 regional (358)
Cardinal's Jonathan (334)
tailgating canopy on (130)
Happy National Chees (124)
Places to watch Caro (115)
Terry Googer - new Wildca
King - South Carolina vs
No Vandy Predictions Thre
uniforms saturday
Places to watch Carolina
Vandy Fans
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
The SEC East schedule fro
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Greg Hardy deactivated by

Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs
Default Special Teams (edited)

I've noticed an obvious lack of blocking on punt returns this year, and the returner normally has 5-6 unblocked defenders all over him. Was Ace that good, or was the ST blocking better last year?
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Re: Special Teams (edited)

I think there is a lot of work needed on ST, besides just the punt return game. Ard kicks AT LEAST 1 KO out of bounds per game. We moved the kick off line up 5 yards a few years ago, why can't we find someone that can just kick the ball out of the end zone or deep every time? We give up well past the 25 yard line on kick returns, even when they are coming 4-5 yards out out of the end zone.

So our:
-kick off coverage needs work
-kick return needs work
-punt return needs work

I will say our punt coverage is average, so I wouldn't say that it 'needs work' but maybe just because its about the best we have, and it's 2.5/5 stars.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
I think there is a lot of work needed on ST, besides just the punt return game. Ard kicks AT LEAST 1 KO out of bounds per game. We moved the kick off line up 5 yards a few years ago, why can't we find someone that can just kick the ball out of the end zone or deep every time? We give up well past the 25 yard line on kick returns, even when they are coming 4-5 yards out out of the end zone.

So our:
-kick return needs work
-punt return needs work

I will say our punt coverage is average, so I wouldn't say that it 'needs work' but maybe just because its about the best we have, and it's 2.5/5 stars.
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 23008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
I've noticed an obvious lack of blocking on punt returns this year, and the returner normally has 5-6 unblocked defenders all over him. Was Ace that good, or was the ST blocking better last year?
Ace was that good. IMO, these areas have been lacking the entire time Spurrier has been here--and I LOVE Spurrier. Just calling a spade a spade.

The only time I noticed a difference was when Coach Ray Rychleski was here. We did seem to improve in coverage and blocking (although we had a punt blocked during his tenure.)
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:

So our:
-kick return needs work
-punt return needs work

DITTO!

Not much else can be said. I just wish one of our guys would tackle PC in the End Zone. I can't remember when he has ever gotten beyond the 25 from there when he tries. But, maybe next week says the guy in garnet glasses.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Oh, and as triumphant as Hull's last punt down to the 1 yard line was great, his shank out of bounds wasn't.

EF has been a great surprise addition to the team, I don't know why we can't seek out a decent punter and place kicker for kick off's.

Please don't get me wrong, I love all the wins the past few years, I've been a Gamecock fan a long time, and seen plenty of good and bad. I wouldn't trade our recent success for the world, but this is a special teams thread.

Hull is below SEC average, Ard is below SEC average, and our coverage is below. We should be in a position to get some better players.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh, and as triumphant as Hull's last punt down to the 1 yard line was great, his shank out of bounds wasn't.

EF has been a great surprise addition to the team, I don't know why we can't seek out a decent punter and place kicker for kick off's.

Please don't get me wrong, I love all the wins the past few years, I've been a Gamecock fan a long time, and seen plenty of good and bad. I wouldn't trade our recent success for the world, but this is a special teams thread.

Hull is below SEC average, Ard is below SEC average, and our coverage is below. We should be in a position to get some better players.
I have to (slightly) disagree on Ard. The kid has a cannon. But he just cannot seem to be satisfied unless he dribbles one out of bounds.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
I have to (slightly) disagree on Ard. The kid has a cannon. But he just cannot seem to be satisfied unless he dribbles one out of bounds.
Yea, I didn't mean to imply that he is a total waste of a roster spot. He has a leg and could get the job done. Ard has one job to do: kick off. You'd think at this point he would be able to aim better. I'll forgive the occasional kick that's a high one down to the goal line - as I believe we should be doing this all the time. Since they moved kick off's up 5 yards, we should do the high hang time kick to the goal line, making them bring it out. Unfortunately, our coverage sucks, making this a losing venture. So if we can't cover the players, our best bet is to take away the return altogether, and give up the 25 yard line on touch backs. Ard is capable of doing this, but isn't consistent. We should be able to find someone that is.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Good points, Bryarx. I certainly hope Coach Rob doesn't call for a directional kickoff. This has been questioned before. If so, why? Ard can boot it through the EZ.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

I think this is the one thing that is keeping USC from the SEC Championship, let alone the National Title game.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 470000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Ain't nothing special about our special teams.

Someone needs to tell Cooper when you return a kickoff, you need to get outside.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Eh, we haven't had a blocked punt or given up a punt return or kickoff return for a td, so its a wash. I'm more concerned about our offense right now.
cockymac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Somebody needs to tell Cooper to run where our guys aren't, since they usually seem to run together without much blocking to open up any lanes.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Understatement of the year.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Eh, we haven't had a blocked punt or given up a punt return or kickoff return for a td, so its a wash. I'm more concerned about our offense right now.
It is not a wash at all. We lose field position on EVERY punt. We can't return a kick past the 25, we kick one out of bounds every game, our punts are atrocious, and we don't block anyone on punt returns
Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
This is how I feel. While they haven't won us a game, they haven't cost us one either.

At least, not yet.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
JTJGarnet
Recruit

Male

JTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
This is how I feel. While they haven't won us a game, they haven't cost us one either.

At least, not yet.
I think it contributed heavily in the TN loss. Horrible field position the entire first half due to poor returns on multiple time the Vols flipped the field, missed field goal, and our inability to flip the field due to sorry ass punts.
JTJGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJGarnet View Post
I think it contributed heavily in the TN loss. Horrible field position the entire first half due to poor returns on multiple time the Vols flipped the field, missed field goal, and our inability to flip the field due to sorry ass punts.
ABSOLUTELY
Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJGarnet View Post
True, but we also couldn't move the ball late in the game to get out of bad field position. A couple of first downs would have helped field position.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
JTJGarnet
Recruit

Male

JTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talons

True, but I said "contributed heavily", not sole cause.
JTJGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote