CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
CoverTwo
Lalli25
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
HelleraisingCock
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Gamecock Legacy recruits/

Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default 41 wins the last four seasons..time to take the next step

Just let that sink in guys.
This team, no, this program has won 41 games the last four seasons

Also, 49 wins the last five years.
That to me says sustainability averaging nearly 10 wins a season (granted they won 8 in 2009 and 9 in 2010).

One last thing...84 wins the last 10 years.

A lot of thanks has to go first to Lou Holtz to coming in and resurrecting this program...and mostly to Steve Spurrier, on building what Holtz started and taking this team to new heights.

One last thing..since the turn of the millenium...111 wins with just two losing seasons...eight seasons with at least 8 wins.
Five seasons with 9 wins or more
Three with 10 and two with 11, with the chance to win 11 games three years in a row.

Now it is time to take the next step.
Spurrier has made us a sustainable, winning program..now it is time to become a championship program.

We have squandered the last three seasons with awful losses to Tennessee, Florida and Auburn...next season this team will again have a chance to win the East and go to Atlanta and it is time to do it.

It is time to no longer just be winners...it is time to become champions.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit
Default Re: 41 wins the last four seasons..time to take the next step

I said before the season I would be disappointed if we didn't either: 1. make a BCS game OR 2. make Atlanta. We did neither of those things, hence I am disappointed.

Granted, before the season I said 9-3 or 10-2, and we went 10-2, so we perhaps exceeded my prediction records-wise. Yet, I don't think a prediction and "what you'll be happy wiith" have to match up. Just because I didn't see us making Atlanta or the BCS doesn't mean I can't be disappointed when we don't.

As for our opponents...

Better than Expected:
UCF- Very Good Team
Missouri- Excellent Team
Coastal Carolina- Solid FBS team
Vandy- Good team (I expected a regression)

As Expected
UGA (at the time we played UGA they were a Very Good Team)
Kentucky (awful as expected)
Tennessee (awful as expected)
Miss State (mediocre as expected)
Clemson-Very Good Team as expected

Worse than Expected
North Carolina- Less than Mediocre
Arkansas- Awful team
Florida- Bad team

Looking at the season, the UGA loss in Athens was predictable. The loss in Knoxville was not. I am sorry but I cannot be happy about a season in which a loss to an atrocious UT team keeps us out of the SEC Championship and possibly the National Championship. This was a huge blunder that ranks right behind the Navy loss in 1984. Yes, the Mizzou win was great, but it's not a game I felt like Carolina stole a win. Carolina made mistake after mistake to give Mizzou the lead and thankfully got our act together before the clock hit 0:00. Overall there were some nice wins on the schedule vs. Mizzou, UCF, and Clemson, but I felt and still feel that Carolina is better than those 3 teams. The game that I will always remember is the UT game (which I unfortunately attended).

I've heard quite a bit from fans who are just happy that we beat Clemson and are going to a pretty good bowl game. When I've told these fans I'm disappointed with the season and feel we underachieved, they respond, "You must not have been a fan for long" and "Just a few years ago we were happy to go to a bowl game, you should be happy now." Well I have been a fan for long (I've personally attended a Carolina loss in every SEC stadium except the new ones). And I'm sorry, but this sort of complacency and settling is what is going to allow this program to slip in the next few years. Not enough folks have changed their expectations and priorities. Beating Clemson should not be the end-all, be-all goal. Recruiting should not be mediocre, which it is. I think a lot of fans will be perfectly fine when the inevitable happens and Carolina slips back to a 7-5, 8-4 type program. Carolina's recruiting is not good enough to sustain this success, Spurrier has not hired enough gung-ho recruiters and gives zero recruiting effort himself. There's a sense of complacency about the program from the top down, an attitude of "well, we'll just out-coach other teams." That type of attitude will only go so far in the SEC. This year was set up for Carolina to do big things. We blew it. I see the window closing, as early as next year with our personnel losses and the schedule getting much tougher.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
I said before the season I would be disappointed if we didn't either: 1. make a BCS game OR 2. make Atlanta. We did neither of those things, hence I am disappointed.

Granted, before the season I said 9-3 or 10-2, and we went 10-2, so we perhaps exceeded my prediction records-wise. Yet, I don't think a prediction and "what you'll be happy wiith" have to match up. Just because I didn't see us making Atlanta or the BCS doesn't mean I can't be disappointed when we don't.

As for our opponents...

Better than Expected:
UCF- Very Good Team
Missouri- Excellent Team

As Expected

Worse than Expected
Arkansas- Awful team
Florida- Bad team

Looking at the season, the UGA loss in Athens was predictable. The loss in Knoxville was not. I am sorry but I cannot be happy about a season in which a loss to an atrocious UT team keeps us out of the SEC Championship and possibly the National Championship. This was a huge blunder that ranks right behind the Navy loss in 1984. Yes, the Mizzou win was great, but it's not a game I felt like Carolina stole a win. Carolina made mistake after mistake to give Mizzou the lead and thankfully got our act together before the clock hit 0:00. Overall there were some nice wins on the schedule vs. Mizzou, UCF, and Clemson, but I felt and still feel that Carolina is better than those 3 teams. The game that I will always remember is the UT game (which I unfortunately attended).

I've heard quite a bit from fans who are just happy that we beat Clemson and are going to a pretty good bowl game. When I've told these fans I'm disappointed with the season and feel we underachieved, they respond, "You must not have been a fan for long" and "Just a few years ago we were happy to go to a bowl game, you should be happy now." Well I have been a fan for long (I've personally attended a Carolina loss in every SEC stadium except the new ones). And I'm sorry, but this sort of complacency and settling is what is going to allow this program to slip in the next few years. Not enough folks have changed their expectations and priorities. Beating Clemson should not be the end-all, be-all goal. Recruiting should not be mediocre, which it is. I think a lot of fans will be perfectly fine when the inevitable happens and Carolina slips back to a 7-5, 8-4 type program. Carolina's recruiting is not good enough to sustain this success, Spurrier has not hired enough gung-ho recruiters and gives zero recruiting effort himself. There's a sense of complacency about the program from the top down, an attitude of "well, we'll just out-coach other teams." That type of attitude will only go so far in the SEC. This year was set up for Carolina to do big things. We blew it. I see the window closing, as early as next year with our personnel losses and the schedule getting much tougher.
you are right on all accounts.
That is why I wanted to start this thread.

Yes, this team battled its way to 10 wins.
Yes, the program is turned around.

But it is high time we start winning some championships...that is what Spurrier wants to do.

To me, we should already have at least one...but the last few years the teams is becoming known for losing a game is shouldn't.

Should not have lost to Auburn.
Gave the game to Florida.
Should not have lost to UT...they should not have even been in position to win that game the way they did.

It cannot happen again next season. It simply cannot.
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post

As for our opponents...

Better than Expected:
UCF- Very Good Team
Missouri- Excellent Team

As Expected

Worse than Expected
Arkansas- Awful team
Florida- Bad team

Wow I hope not, but I see where you are coming from. Our recruiting has sucked the past few years.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Our recruiting has sucked the past few seasons? A true freshman threw a TD against Clemson in on a critical second half play. Skai Moore... well.. Skai m'f'n moore. That's all I gotta say.

Get out of here with that "Our recruiting has sucked the past few years" crap
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
tsb44
4-Star

Male

tsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudly

Wow you guys are geniuses when it comes to recruiting. There is a word for ya'll it's called star chasers...I know another star chaser name Dabo. Stars mean nothing and you can't judge a recruiting class based on the number of 5 stars you got. Good coaches look for players to fit there system and will take the 3 stars because they can see the 5 star potential. It baffles me for you to say our recruiting sucked...we put a lot of Freshmen on the field this year and they did damn good. Pharoh Cooper, who btw was a 3 star, Skai Moore-man child, Tj Holloman...there is a large list.You may have been a fan a while but that doesn't make you a recruiting expert. If you have seen a drop off and a decrease in the number of freshman we have playing please tell me.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Back on topic.
This ain't about recruiting...we find guys that fit what we do..not stars.

This is about this program needing to take the next step, or risk regression.
It has to be SEC championship or bust next season.
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
tsb44
4-Star

Male

tsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudly

Which starts with what we've been doin a very good job of....which is...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

We had the youngest team in the nation. We lost 6 of our top 8 tacklers off the 2012 team, including all our LB's. Clowney was injured all year.

To have had only one hiccup (losing to UGA early in the season in Athens does not qualify as one) was an exceptional achievement.

Remember how we got big leads on several teams only to see them come roaring back to make the games close? That was part of the growing process of youngsters learning how to close games out.

Our progress is gradual, but still pointed upward. While everyone else in the SEC are not sitting still, ours looks brighter, still. We are getting closer each year. Stay the course.

Last edited by brat; 12-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.
brat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 0
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

We're trending upwards. Kinda like my 401k and I'm happy about both!
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

The D-line and our CBs are the only Q's (and maybe !QB)... Legree and Hampton have been great this year and I haven't seen enough of the other guys to have a guess who is going to step up. Our backup DE's have the biggest shoes to fill and I can't see anyone but Dixon having the size to truly compete in the SEC except in a rabbits package, although Gerald Turner might be ready next year. LOL, at any point we could have 3 Geralds on the D-line in the game.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I've been a Gameock fan for 40+ yrs....I'm not disappointed.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
The D-line and our CBs are the only Q's (and maybe !QB)... Legree and Hampton have been great this year and I haven't seen enough of the other guys to have a guess who is going to step up. Our backup DE's have the biggest shoes to fill and I can't see anyone but Dixon having the size to truly compete in the SEC except in a rabbits package, although Gerald Turner might be ready next year. LOL, at any point we could have 3 Geralds on the D-line in the game.
Call it the Gerald package.
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

We lack one thing for the next step: a dominant line that can dictate the game on the field.

Our line is close but inconsistent.

Our run blocking was terrible against Clemson. Yes, they stacked the box, but would that have shut Alabama down?

That is the measurement we must use.

We're getting large players, but size isn't the only thing needed.

We need tremendous technique and quick feet. Add to that the ability to finish plays.

When we start recruiting at least one five-star, especially on the line, then I think we'll be damn close to the next step.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

This thread is full of nonsense and Dabo-speak.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Call it the Gerald package.
Love it!
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our run blocking was terrible against Clemson. Yes, they stacked the box, but would that have shut Alabama down?
It held teams like Georgia (with Gurley/Marshall), Ga Tec, FSU to well below their average rushing per game. Teams like FSU and Carolina made them pay with effective passing. Georgia, Ga Tec, not so much. We were 2 drops, 2 overthrows, and Shaq's denied catch away from a passing yardage blowout. Their pass coverage was not good, we did enough, but were a few breaks away from making them look terrible. TE's were open intermediate a lot as well.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I'm not disappointed with this season. I agree that it's time to take the next step, but I don't think I'll ever be dissapointed with a double digit win season. I think it's a fair point that you don't want us to get complacent as a fan base, but you don't want to turn into Bammers either and start shooting each other after the first loss.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
you are right on all accounts.
That is why I wanted to start this thread.

Yes, this team battled its way to 10 wins.
Yes, the program is turned around.

But it is high time we start winning some championships...that is what Spurrier wants to do.

To me, we should already have at least one...but the last few years the teams is becoming known for losing a game is shouldn't.

Should not have lost to Auburn.
Gave the game to Florida.
Should not have lost to UT...they should not have even been in position to win that game the way they did.

It cannot happen again next season. It simply cannot.
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' 'bout the things
They woulda coulda shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little Did.

Sheldon Allan Silverstein
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb44 View Post
Wow you guys are geniuses when it comes to recruiting. There is a word for ya'll it's called star chasers...I know another star chaser name Dabo. Stars mean nothing and you can't judge a recruiting class based on the number of 5 stars you got. Good coaches look for players to fit there system and will take the 3 stars because they can see the 5 star potential. It baffles me for you to say our recruiting sucked...we put a lot of Freshmen on the field this year and they did damn good. Pharoh Cooper, who btw was a 3 star, Skai Moore-man child, Tj Holloman...there is a large list.You may have been a fan a while but that doesn't make you a recruiting expert. If you have seen a drop off and a decrease in the number of freshman we have playing please tell me.
Pharoh Cooper and Skai Moore were 4 stars. Skai Moore is a 4 star freshman who starts over 2 three stars that have been in the program longer.

TJ Holloman has been in the program the same amount of time 4 star Kiawan Lewis has been in the program and Kiawan Lewis starts.

So yeah stars don't matter a bit.