CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
Gyle41386
MisterClowney
**USC vs. Davidson G (4672)
SEC Network "Ta (1492)
Sunday college footb (485)
Early Pre-Season wom (470)
So who was the dude (447)
Ole Miss Projected R (446)
Acock reviews the SE (433)
Kentucky Inmate Star (419)
Get the SEC Network (416)
Tennessee hires Donn (400)
Does anyone have a link t
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2001 vs Sandstorm
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
SEC Network "Take It
Name a Gamecock
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
FACIAL
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #41
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Hey- when was the last time those stipends were adjusted?
Unsure. I do know first had from friends on the football team that they were sometimes upwards of 300 bucks for a weekend. That seems like a pretty hefty amount when all your travel, meals and lodging are already covered. More than I made in a week at a part time job in college. Money that could be kept or given to family to help them attend the game.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #42
3MTA3
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Not bitter at all. I just don't fall for the whole victimization argument. People act like these athletes are treated like slaves and had no choice in the matter.
nah, not slaves; indentured servants.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Unsure. I do know first had from friends on the football team that they were sometimes upwards of 300 bucks. That seems like a pretty hefty amount when all your travel, meals and lodging are already covered. Money that could be kept or given to family to help them attend the game.
but not really that much considering college football is a billion dollar industry.

its all about perspective.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
He didn't sound bitter until the last paragraph (which I agree with.) The first part had very valid point.

I don't agree with paying athletes. If you do a little more research you will learn they already do get stipends for weekend trips, etc. Weekend trips where all of their expenditures are paid for, so the money goes straight into their pockets.

And it's false that players are not allowed to have a job. Many of them do, they just choose to only work in the off season.
Had a buddy who played basketball at Va Tech and he talked about how their stipends were big, like $500 and above, plus all the free gear. He would talk about how quickly the players would waste it.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
And here we have the motivation for your position.
Not at all. My motivation is that I think the idea of paying them will not work and in the long run will destroy college athletics. The point of my response was to show how dumb it sounds when people use that argument.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #46
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Haha, so you ask for counter views but when I explain why your argument is flawed you just ignore it.
okay then, yes they players names aren't on the back of the jerseys but who motivates the consumer to buy the number 7 jersey? the player himself
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #47
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Not at all. My motivation is that I think the idea of paying them will not work and in the long run will destroy college athletics.
and people thought removing the amateur requirement for the Olympics would destroy the Olympics, yet every few years, viewership and interest continue to rise.

i know its not apples to apples, but it is amateur to non-amateur case study of how people's preconceived notion of destruction turned out to be ill-founded.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #48
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm not sure its fair to say that lawsuits will end the game. I think it has more to do with the information that is becoming more readily available. Lawsuits are a side effect of that information, but will only be a contributing factor, not THE factor.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-causal-factor

I love football. I played it in high school, and am completely ok with it being a 'religion' here in the South. I hope it never goes away.

With that being said- if I had a son, I'm not sure I'd allow him to play football. As more and more information comes out from the medical community, especially studies that have shown a person need not get a concussion to end up with long term brain damage from repeated blows to the head, that will continue to make me more hesitant to knowingly allow my child participate in that type of organized activity.

As participation levels drop (and they will, so long as more information continues to come out) then you'll see the nation's best athletes end up in other sports. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen, unless there are major changes to the sport (rules and/or technological advances that reduce the number of head injuries / brain damage)
My wife refuses to let our son play football for fear of injury...it's just something that many people have out there. But, soccer is dangerous too...so many ACL injuries and head injuries as well. I've witnessed more injuries coaching soccer than I have officiating football

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #49
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
but not really that much considering college football is a billion dollar industry.

its all about perspective.
That industry is what pays for all the sports who don't make a dime. How do y'all miss the fact that most athletic departments aren't profitable? Football and men's basketball is what makes them float. If they start paying all the athletes, then they won't survive and we won't have college sports. Then all these poor kids won't even be able to get a free education.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #50
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

and to the people saying you have to pay d-3 schools and stuff too, my brother plays baseball at charleston southern and that takes up almost all of his time, but when I asked him what he thought about college football he thinks they should be paid and he shouldn't because they bring in way more money than other sports and lower division schools
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #51
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
My wife refuses to let our son play football for fear of injury...it's just something that many people have out there. But, soccer is dangerous too...so many ACL injuries and head injuries as well. I've witnessed more injuries coaching soccer than I have officiating football
Girl's soccer is second only to football in the frequency of concussions in sports.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #52
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
and people thought removing the amateur requirement for the Olympics would destroy the Olympics, yet every few years, viewership and interest continue to rise.

i know its not apples to apples, but it is amateur to non-amateur case study of how people's preconceived notion of destruction turned out to be ill-founded.
The difference is the USA still sends a team. If we go down the pay to play athletes, colleges will no longer have teams. The law (Title IX) and business models will not work out.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #53
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
That industry is what pays for all the sports who don't make a dime. How do y'all miss the fact that most athletic departments aren't profitable? Football and men's basketball is what makes them float. If they start paying all the athletes, then they won't survive and we won't have college sports. Then all these poor kids won't even be able to get a free education.

Schools that can afford it should do so, and those that can't, wont.

"oh, no! that's not fair!"

Welcome to 'Murica.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
The difference is the USA still sends a team. If we go down the pay to play athletes, colleges will no longer have teams. The law (Title IX) and business models will not work out.

Speculative.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #55
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh yes because that will work out.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #56
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
They are doing studies showing soccer is damaging the brain far worse than anyone realized, without even having to have had a concussion. I'd like a study into football and why in the 1950s when they were getting more serious brain trauma that there weren't suicides like now. I'd bet it has more to do with the emotional and identifying themselves as football players than the actual trauma suffered due to the sport.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Oh yes because that will work out.
Why won't it?

Because some will cry about it being unfair?

So what?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #58
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Girl's soccer is second only to football in the frequency of concussions in sports.
Trust me...I know. I coached it for 10 years at the HS level and the competitive club level

Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #59
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Speculative.
Possible...Football pays for all the other non-revenue generating sports

Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #60
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:

"oh, no! that's not fair!"

Welcome to 'Murica.
That would be interesting in the recruitment...come here, we want you but can only give you 100 stiped. Enter Texas with all their boosters that can give kids a 1000 stipend. Playing field will NEVER be close to level or near the same level that it is now