CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
smoovecock
GregoryHouse
rosstheboss
markymark550
Transmaniacon
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
2014 Charleston Clas (3247)
The Defense (2068)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (2037)
**USC Women vs. San (2035)
Women's soccer Sweet (1613)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1175)
USC/clemson spread (903)
In case no one saw.. (821)
injury report? (716)
Odell Becham Catch (359)
Texans getting frustrated
Dylan Thompson surpasses
2014 Charleston Classic:
**USC Women vs. San Diego
Fly_over tomorrow?
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Marquav
2015 - Joe Blue
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Biocockanics
WMD
 
Biocockanics's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 1,189
CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Everything you need to know World Cup'14

First, this is for fans of Soccer and for those who are interested in learning but may now know. If you only have asshat comments, do not post.

The way the World Cup works, each team was drawn 'semi-randomly" in a partial blind manner...somewhat skewed system but it is what it is.

Most locations for matches in Brazil is, I believe, -1 and -2 hours from EST so local Brazil time of 1500 is 1400/1300 here.

The first stage now that qualifying is over:
GROUP STAGES:
Link to full match schedules
Initial Matches, each person in a group- plays each other.
A win = 3 points, draw=1pt for each team, a loss=0 points.
The two teams with the most points advance, in the event of a tie between two teams, goal differential is the first tie-breaker. Second tie-breaker is total goals scored. Third through fifth is head to head matchup.

As I said, the two teams with the most points advance to the more commonly understood "playoff" system.
Round of 16:
The top 2 teams from each group will be paired and will play
here is a link to the way in which it will be grouped:


Below are the groupings...the "Group of Death" (most difficult to advance from) is in some debate between Group D and Gm depending on who you ask.

Personally, I see Germany and Portugal as far more difficult teams than England/Italy/Uruguay

Group A
  1. Brazil
  2. Croatia
  3. Mexico
  4. Cameroon

Group B
  1. Spain
  2. Netherlands
  3. Chile
  4. Australia

Group C
  1. Columbia
  2. Greece
  3. Cote d'ivoire
  4. Japan
Group D
  1. Uruguay
  2. Costa Rica
  3. England
  4. Italy
Group E
  1. Switzerland
  2. Ecuador
  3. France
  4. Honduras
Group F
  1. Argentina
  2. Bosnia
  3. Iran
  4. Nigeria
Group G
  1. Germany
  2. Portugal
  3. Ghana
  4. USA
Group H
  1. Belgium
  2. Algeria
  3. Russia
  4. Korea republic


If you have questions, please post them! Again, mods please keep the trolls from freeing themselves like usual in soccer threads.
__________________
Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw
 
Luke Skycocker's Avatar
 
Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Augusta
Posts: 45,317
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14



Its probably gonna be a short run for the US
__________________
Luke Skycocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC
 
Cockypantherfan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,737
CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post


Its probably gonna be a short run for the US
Might be, but you never know what can happen. The thing we have going for us is we are an underdog so the team should be playing loose and with no pressure.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
TucockShakur
Recruit
 
TucockShakur's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 102
CockyCash: 500
TucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudlyTucockShakur is crowing loudly
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

We owe Ghana some revenge.
TucockShakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,657
CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

I don't want Mexico to advance.
But they may.

Saw Brazil has a 99% chance in advancing from group stages and is the favorite.


Also Op, if someone trolls just report the post, saying "mods delete" won't do much.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13
 
garnet_black215's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a van down by the river.
Posts: 7,770
CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
First, this is for fans of Soccer and for those who are interested in learning but may now know. If you only have asshat comments, do not post.

The way the World Cup works, each team was drawn 'semi-randomly" in a partial blind manner...somewhat skewed system but it is what it is.

Most locations for matches in Brazil is, I believe, -1 and -2 hours from EST so local Brazil time of 1500 is 1400/1300 here.

The first stage now that qualifying is over:
GROUP STAGES:
Link to full match schedules
Initial Matches, each person in a group- plays each other.
A win = 3 points, draw=1pt for each team, a loss=0 points.
The two teams with the most points advance, in the event of a tie between two teams, goal differential is the first tie-breaker. Second tie-breaker is total goals scored. Third through fifth is head to head matchup.

As I said, the two teams with the most points advance to the more commonly understood "playoff" system.
Round of 16:
The top 2 teams from each group will be paired and will play
here is a link to the way in which it will be grouped:


Below are the groupings...the "Group of Death" (most difficult to advance from) is in some debate between Group D and Gm depending on who you ask.

Personally, I see Germany and Portugal as far more difficult teams than England/Italy/Uruguay


Group A
  1. Brazil
  2. Croatia
  3. Mexico
  4. Cameroon

Group B
  1. Spain
  2. Netherlands
  3. Chile
  4. Australia

Group C
  1. Columbia
  2. Greece
  3. Cote d'ivoire
  4. Japan
Group D
  1. Uruguay
  2. Costa Rica
  3. England
  4. Italy
Group E
  1. Switzerland
  2. Ecuador
  3. France
  4. Honduras
Group F
  1. Argentina
  2. Bosnia
  3. Iran
  4. Nigeria
Group G
  1. Germany
  2. Portugal
  3. Ghana
  4. USA
Group H
  1. Belgium
  2. Algeria
  3. Russia
  4. Korea republic

If you have questions, please post them! Again, mods please keep the trolls from freeing themselves like usual in soccer threads.
A friend of mine thinks the "Group of Death" is either Group B or Group G. Could make an argument for either of the three though.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP
 
SR4-AJ1's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chapin
Posts: 1,662
CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

No way group b could be the group of death


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
CaptainCock91
Starter
 
CaptainCock91's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greer
Posts: 1,269
CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

Newish soccer fan here. Just started watching during the world cup in 2010 (still only really watch when the U.S. is playing).

Who will broadcast the world cup in the U.S.? Will they also broadcast the U.S. "Group Stage" games? Since their time zones are so close to ours, will they be shown live?
__________________
CaptainCock91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
tkousc
Blue Chip
 
tkousc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north augusta sc
Posts: 501
CockyCash: 500
tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
Newish soccer fan here. Just started watching during the world cup in 2010 (still only really watch when the U.S. is playing).

Who will broadcast the world cup in the U.S.? Will they also broadcast the U.S. "Group Stage" games? Since their time zones are so close to ours, will they be shown live?
Espn will broadcast every game on one of their channels. In 2018 FOX takes over. The games will be at 12Pm 3PM and 6PM eastern time which is excellent.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC
 
markp_vip's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St Tammany Parish, La
Posts: 2,911
CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
A friend of mine thinks the "Group of Death" is either Group B or Group G. Could make an argument for either of the three though.
Group B will certainly be the group of death for Australia and probably Chile as well. Wouldn't consider it an overall group of death though. D and G could both qualify as groups of death IMO.
__________________
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development