CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
CoverTwo
Lalli25
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
HelleraisingCock
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Gamecock Legacy recruits/

Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default A Bit of Perspective

I live in Dallas, and though it seems really great that we "might" get an invitation to the Cotton Bowl...

Be thankful for the Capital One Bowl...

The weather in Dallas on January 1st usually sucks!

Orlando on January 1st? Ideal.

Yes, I know the game in JerryWorld would be indoors, but when the game is over, you're going to want to enjoy the city.

...and that's when the weather may be a bit of a downer.

Dallas tends to get freezing rain as much (and possibly more often) than snow during that time of year. If not that, then very cold rain.

Last, the best parts of Dallas are nowhere near the stadium, just FYI.

If we get the Cotton invitation, it would be great because it's a compliment, but personally, I think we're better off with the Capital One Bowl. Our fans will be there in droves in Orlando. In Dallas, we'll be lucky to get half of our allotment filled. Our guys feed off the energy of our fans, so my vote would be for Capital One.

...Just wish we wouldn't get stuck with Wisconsin.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: A Bit of Perspective

These issues are not deciding factors when it comes to which bowl is a better choice for the program

Telling me I should be happy with the way this season is winding down because I get to Christmas shop in flip-flops and walk to the Buffalo Wild Wings as opposed to cabbing it is completely ludicrous

Big picture man.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
These issues are not deciding factors when it comes to which bowl is a better choice for the program

Telling me I should be happy with the way this season is winding down because I get to Christmas shop in flip-flops and walk to the Buffalo Wild Wings as opposed to cabbing it is completely ludicrous

Big picture man.
Tell that to the thousands that have to make their travel plans.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

The thousands that make their travel plans from places father than Texas to go to Orlando too.

As I said, big picture
Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
The thousands that make their travel plans from places father than Texas to go to Orlando too.

As I said, big picture
Just ask the NFL fans who attended the SuperBowl at JerryWorld in the winter in Dallas...

It was considered the worst disaster of a Super Bowl of ALL TIME!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Just ask the NFL fans who attended the SuperBowl at JerryWorld in the winter in Dallas...

It was considered the worst disaster of a Super Bowl of ALL TIME!
Wait until this one, will be in a blizzard.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

The weather is not the deciding issue for the improvement of the program. And if you can see that far in the future I've got a career as a Weather Channel meteorologist/Vegas bookie for you.

Fan discomfort is trumped by what helps the program, every time. Does it matter - really- if parking is a bitch if we're going to catapult the program into the national eye? No one west of Atlanta gives a flying F about the Capital One Bowl. Not even Big Ten people care because they get their asses handed to them annually there.

It is the Black Hole of bowls. By the way, we were there in 2012 and we're technically stagnating or regressing if we go there now.

If you want what's best for the program, and not the consolation prize of convenience, then it's a no brainer.

By the way, you live down the street! How much more convenient can you get?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

I'd just like to have some different trophies in the trophy case. Having 3 outback and 2 capital one, one each of independence and car quest kind of indicates we basically only play in outback or cap one.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7043011
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

Quote:

Fan discomfort is trumped by what helps the program, every time. Does it matter - really- if parking is a bitch if we're going to catapult the program into the national eye?
well I guess that miserable pizza bowl is what put us where we are now. it's good to know that we didn't suffer in vain. one more miserable bowl and we should be National Champions!

damn I hope it isn't Dumbo's chick-fil-a national championship.
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIInySnQe4I
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
CockyCody
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 803
CockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervous

What could possibly be better than playing a crappy Wisconsin team in the Capital One? I know the whole world can't wait for this!
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Sooo they dont play the cotton bowl in the cotton bowl anymore? Wtf thats stupid
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
Sooo they dont play the cotton bowl in the cotton bowl anymore? Wtf thats stupid
That's right. They play it in ATT Cowboys Stadium.

Trust me, you wouldn't want them playing the Cotton Bowl in the Cotton Bowl in January.

I know, it doesn't make much sense. You'd think they'd play "The Cotton Bowl" in the "Cotton Bowl".

The Cotton Bowl stadium sits idle 95% of the year and now hosts annual games for the black colleges and not much else. It had fallen into disrepair but the city spent a meager amount to keep it from being condemned.

Sad, really. The Cotton Bowl is on the state fair grounds (largest in the country) in a park area that was built for the Texas centennial of 1936. It has some amazing art deco buildings that are part of a historical landmark. It seats 75,000 people.

Jerry Jones put a nail in the Cotton Bowl Stadium's coffin when he built what we affectionately call "The Death Star" or "JerryWorld".

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 12-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post

Sad, really. The Cotton Bowl is on the state fair grounds (largest in the country) in a park area that was built for the Texas centennial of 1936. It has some amazing art deco buildings that are part of a historical landmark. It seats 75,000 people..

The actual Cotton Bowl is one of the most incredible stadiums still standing in the USA. I would love to see it renovated

It is an amazing historic place.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

Rooster Booster has feathers coming inRooster Booster has feathers coming in

Quote:
As I said, big picture
Texas A&M won the Cotton last year in a blowout. How'd that momentum work out for them? They lost 2 more games than they did last year.

If you're not in the BCS, it's just for fun. Might as well go to the more fun place and be able to say you were the first non-BCS team picked from the SEC. And also beat a B1G team. Beating the B1G is always fun.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooo!" - Ric Flair
Rooster Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The weather is not the deciding issue for the improvement of the program. And if you can see that far in the future I've got a career as a Weather Channel meteorologist/Vegas bookie for you.

Fan discomfort is trumped by what helps the program, every time. Does it matter - really- if parking is a bitch if we're going to catapult the program into the national eye? No one west of Atlanta gives a flying F about the Capital One Bowl. Not even Big Ten people care because they get their asses handed to them annually there.

It is the Black Hole of bowls. By the way, we were there in 2012 and we're technically stagnating or regressing if we go there now.

If you want what's best for the program, and not the consolation prize of convenience, then it's a no brainer.

By the way, you live down the street! How much more convenient can you get?
What's the comparison in TV ratings last year between cap 1 and cotton? I don't see how cap 1 gets first pick and pays out more money if nobody in the world cares about it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Personally I think the perspective everyone needs is that less than a decade ago we were still counting our wins on one hand a week into November hoping for #6 and now were whining about the fact that we have to go to the "lousy" Capitol One bowl instead of the Cotton.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:

As I said, big picture
Just wanted to say, best avatar on cockytalk.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Wait until this one, will be in a blizzard.
& Bruno Mars.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

I kind of see this as a toss up. CapOne, NYD, afternoon game splits viewers with a bunch of other games.

Cotton Bowl same day and time as Orange Bowl and a Friday Evening. Unless you are a diehard football fan or your teams are playing, will probably not have a huge draw.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

The weather in Orlando can suck in Jan too, you never know. Chances are the weather would be better in FL, but Carolina may not get many chances to play in the Cotton Bowl and I think it would be a nice change.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote